Thread: Campsites near Ben Nevis

Thanks

Campsites near Ben Nevis

Hi all,

First post!

I am looking for campsites around the area of Ben Nevis, that will cater for Scouts. I have around 20 scouts that will probably go, but I'm wondering if anyone knows any good sites around there or things to do?

Thanks
    Jordan

Thanks
    Insh Scout Campsite, Spean Bridge.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Pooley For This Useful Post:

jordandesaa (10-04-2014)

Thanks
    There is a public campsite in Glen Nevis itself, near the Glenn Nevis Youth Hostel. I've only camped there as a member of Joe Public, never with kids, but it's pretty decent and a brisk 20 minute walk to Fort William.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CambridgeSkip For This Useful Post:

jordandesaa (10-04-2014)

Thanks
    I will look into the Youth Hostel, at the moment struggling to be able to get 18 scouts and 7 leaders up there, within budget!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 961 Posts
    Not sure what type of weekend you're planning but...

If you're not going up Ben Nevis, the Great Glen Way starts in Fort William, it follows (for the most part) the canal tow path of the Caledonian Canal. Here's the thing though (and a well kept secret.) At the Canal Locks there are British Waterways campsites with toilets and showers (for which you can buy keys at either Corpach Sea lock office or at the Inverness end.) They're free to use although only if you're either canoeing or walking the route. (I dare say you could just stump up and camp, they weren't busy when we used them during the October week.)

You could walk from Neptune's Ladder to Gairlochy on day one (its a half days walk) then on to either Laggan Locks, or there is a wild campsite on the banks of Loch Lochy about a mile short of Laggan. (There's also the Fairy Glen at the western end of Loch Lochy, tres creepy and a bit odd.)

As it happens, our Explorer unit did it in 2012 about which there is a short eTravelogue on amazon available.

Not that I'm hawking a book or anything, although all proceeds do go to our group. (Search for The Great Glen Way by Paul Brown.)

More seriously, The Great Glen Way is a great introductory walk to do and you can easily follow with vehicles for support. The canal part is a little tedious after a while so I'd recommend biking that part. The route from Fort William to Fort Augustus can be done in 2 days (for serious walkers) or 3 days for people a bit like me.

If you don't fancy that, a trip up Glen Nevis to the wire bridge (if its still there) over the River Steele is interesting. The Glen Nevis Campsite doesn't like Youth Groups though, its a caravan club site from memory.

So much to do in that area. Kinlochleven has microcabins and a small camping area, we stayed there while doing the West highland Way. Some good walking to be had plus the Ice Factor indoor ice climbing place is there.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

GScrimgeour (11-04-2014),jordandesaa (10-04-2014)

Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Another vote for Insh Scout Campsite. Stayed there when I climbed Ben Nevis with Network in 2011. Not that far from Fort William but transport would be needed from the site.

Wandering ESL
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Magician View Post
    Another vote for Insh Scout Campsite. Stayed there when I climbed Ben Nevis with Network in 2011. Not that far from Fort William but transport would be needed from the site.
    Walk to Roy bridge and get the train seems the obvious one. Sadly they dont run that often, last time I was looking at them. My Explorers wanted to go to commando training country but I'm not sure they know what they let themselves in for...
    Founder of the BBBS

The Bring Bushfella Back Society. Join if you think he should stay. http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/thre...ng-Cold-Turkey

Thanks
    Just a word of warning. The Glen Nevis campsite is very nice however they are very strict with noise at night so possibly not ideal for scouts

Thanks
    Completely off topic but if you're up that way: outside the power station in the Lochaber aluminium smelter in Fort William they've got the casing of an unexploded bomb. During WWII this was dropped on the power station - it must have been approaching maximum range for the bomber - and fell through the roof without exploding. A couple of the workers lifted it into a wheelbarrow and took it outside. When bomb disposal arrived they found that it had been sabotaged not to explode, and found a note inside from the saboteur wishing the workers good luck. The papers are displayed with the bomb casing. I've no idea whether it's possible to get youth groups into the smelter but if it is it's an interesting little insight into humans retaining their humanity even in an impossible situation.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR For This Useful Post:

GScrimgeour (11-04-2014)