This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Escouts Team & System Dev Magician's Avatar
    Thanks

Smile Announcing Escouts: Wiki

Hi all,
    You may see that Wayne has posted a blog that lists Escouts as the source of a "ridiculous" suggestion that some form of union for leaders would be beneficial to the support of volunteers.

Whilst this union suggestion is very "Marmite", it is not the only post on Escouts this year, in fact, in the first half of this year, Escouts has generated over 900 threads and 19,162 posts. Of these posts, a natural language analysis suggests that over 80% of these posts are positive in nature or neutral questions.

Whilst the remainder of these posts are deemed "neutral" and in many cases "negative", another interesting trend that can be demonstrated is the distribution of negativity throughout threads. Around 74% of negative posts are the first post in the thread.The concentration of positive posts after this suggests negative threads are met with comments of support and advice on remedying the situation.The CEO of the Scout Association (Matt Hyde) has also blogged this week about needing to be innovative with technology and providing a platform that people want to use.

With this in mind, I am delighted to announce a new Escouts project that has been in the works for a while. Escouts has existed for almost 15 years - we have over 352,864 posts from users from across the world.

The depth and wealth of knowledge on Escouts compared with other online Scouting communities is clear - we want to preserve this and give it a platform to flourish.

The nature of a threaded forum does not lend itself to presenting this knowledge in an easy to access format. A user may have to try lots of search terms and troll many threads to get access to that nugget of information they want.

Matt Hyde recently about IT projects and ever lengthening lead times. I am guilty of this. About a year ago, I pitched Project GPS as a side project to work on as part of a review of what Escouts did (badges etc).

Between the Escouts hack, my honours year at University and several conference talks, this somewhat slipped off my radar.

Project GPS has been developed to allow Escouters to contribute to a community owned content store, not dissimilar to Wikipedia.
    Escouts: Wiki will allow our users to write, edit and collaborate on pages and articles that can be kept relevant and up to date by the community.

As of today, the Wiki tab will allow anyone registered to access and edit the wiki. We have provided a skeleton structure based on the most common search terms and popular threads.
    This is merely a starting point - the Wiki should be as lively and diverse as the forum - it belongs to the community and should be used to store and curate the wealth of knowledge that is threaded throughout the forum.

Wiki is still a lab project that is maturing and may not work perfectly yet but we are confident that it will work well enough yo allow people to use it!

If any one has any questions or comments about the Wiki, we would love to hear them!

2. The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to Magician For This Useful Post:

1stupton (25-06-2014),anderc95 (02-07-2014),ASLChris (25-06-2014),astwood7 (25-06-2014),BalooNav (25-06-2014),big chris (25-06-2014),Bloory (25-06-2014),Bushfella (25-06-2014),caliente1359 (25-06-2014),crisolin (25-06-2014),Daniel (24-06-2014),Dave1812 (26-06-2014),Defaid (08-08-2016),DonTregartha (25-06-2014),eskibrew (25-06-2014),fmolesey (24-06-2014),Hatman (24-06-2014),itchen (25-06-2014),johnty1 (24-07-2014),Kev (25-06-2014),lakes_stu (25-06-2014),marcush (25-06-2014),MatSav (26-06-2014),Matt Donnelly (04-07-2014),mikewhay (25-06-2014),not-so (25-06-2014),ntahall (25-01-2015),recneps (25-06-2014),roger-uk (25-06-2014),scarlet pimp (04-07-2014),sibrows (26-06-2014),silverhairedbeaver (25-06-2014),sjl14 (24-06-2014),Sparkgap (25-06-2014),TENTPEG (25-06-2014),Testarossa (02-07-2014),toby_athersuch (28-07-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks Gavin - this is a great idea. (Wish the Landy forum had a similar feature now my Freelander is starting to fall to bits!)

How are the sections to be populated/started - is it a free for all? (I think only from the perspective of the social group experience where sections get started and then abandoned)

Is it visible to non members?

Don Tregartha
    Group Chair and Webmaster
    1st Wing Scouts

Check out our responsive Joomla web site www.wingscouts.co.uk one site fits all...

Thanks
    Top level by admins and mods. Everything below is community. (Things can be edited and moved after discussion)

Visible for the moment. Permissions are granular, we can hide certain categories to members.

Thanks
    That's good

I think personally that as much as possible should be visible.

We are attempting to bring best practice to ALL our members - SA and Escouts

Don Tregartha
    1st Wing Scouts

Check out our responsive Joomla web site www.wingscouts.co.uk one site fits all...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I am banning myself from entering the Wiki for now... I see this being a great way to procrastinate and to never get any work, diy, real scouting, etc done. Maybe once the summer camping season is over and the nights draw in
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

7. The Following User Says Thank You to recneps For This Useful Post:

DonTregartha (25-06-2014)

Ingleby, Redcar And Cleveland, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    how about an area for POR?
    Richard Fenton
    CSL 1st Hartburn Sea Scouts (Graham Mellanby's Own)
    www.hartburnseascouts.org

Thanks
    Great - An area we can record all the ideas for themed camps and evenings without having to search dozens of threads for those couple of brainwaves you remember from months ago! Now just need to find time to populate the Wiki.

Nick

Ingleby, Redcar And Cleveland, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    I am banning myself from entering the Wiki for now... I see this being a great way to procrastinate and to never get any work, diy, real scouting, etc done. Maybe once the summer camping season is over and the nights draw in
    Going to have to agree there is just too much I would like to add....
    Richard Fenton
    CSL 1st Hartburn Sea Scouts (Graham Mellanby's Own)
    www.hartburnseascouts.org

Thanks
    The great thing is, you can begin to map out content and other people can help fill it in!

Thanks
    What a fantastic idea! I am now already late for work thinking about the content and potential benefits of this. Good work. I cannot wait to get back and continue looking.

East Sussex

Thanks
    So, we will have POR, Factsheets! and Wiki. What official status will this Wiki have?

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallah View Post
    So, we will have POR, Factsheets! and Wiki. What official status will this Wiki have?
    I have absolutely no idea what you are asking...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Magician View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what you are asking...
    How will it be used? if people come to it for advice in the same way they do for POR and Factsheets. We may have our doubts about the clarity of POR and Factsheets but they are backed by TSA. If people follow the advice given in this Wiki what happens if something goes wrong and the Wiki is shown to be out of line with 'official' documentation?

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    You come to Escouts for advice anyway - this would just boil it down to a manageable resource and source of ideas.

Like anything - check it against your own judgement. Its not warranted advice, but an alternate viewpoint, not filtered through a PR machine.

Don Tregartha
    1st Wing Scouts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallah View Post
    How will it be used? if people come to it for advice in the same way they do for POR and Factsheets. We may have our doubts about the clarity of POR and Factsheets but they are backed by TSA. If people follow the advice given in this Wiki what happens if something goes wrong and the Wiki is shown to be out of line with 'official' documentation?
    It is no more or less official than anything else you read on Escouts.
    People will have useful ideas and finds. They will share these in a static way, rather than dynamic.

Nothing is changing other than the presentation medium.

A moot point I feel

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Magician For This Useful Post:

Matt Donnelly (04-07-2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast