Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Data Upload

Thanks

Data Upload

Is there a Compass Champion out there who has the answers to a couple of questions that I will ask after my moan. i have emailed my County Champion but not had a reply as yet.

I was asked some time ago (12months or more) to be my District's Compass bod - since then I have been invited to one meeting that gave very little information, I have also attended a GSLs seminar where a HQ bod demonstrated some of the facilities.

Since then nothing really, other than a few emails.

So just before the last census we were sent some HQ supplied spreadsheets for the 2014 census and this data would be used to load to Compass at the appropriate time. I told our County Secretary that as the spreadsheets had been sent so late in the day that we would be doing our census on the forms we have used for years and that I would copy the relevant data to the 'new' spreadsheets after the census and ask that Groups keep them updated as we were not due to go live until late April/Early May.

The county secretary agreed with this.

Since then HQ decreed that the 'location' on the MMS that had previously only been used for youth data needed to be completed for all adults otherwise Compass would not work correctly. I contacted County and HQ and advised them that I did not have time to deal with 400 records doing this especially as the MMS is so slow. They indicated that it was an individuals responsibility to do their own record (right!!!). Some GSLs have done theirs for their Group others have not and so I don't know how this will work.

Since then we were informed that the April/May date would not be met as things had slipped but to ensure that all Groups keep the 2014 new census spreadsheets upto date and would be needed during the summer, still indicating that they would all be collated as a county for upload as a county at go live.

HQ told us that the system will not be available from Monday 14th July - I can live with that as there has to be a cut off date, and that i will be allowed access to Compass in August - again i am OK with that.

I have had however a 'new new' spreadsheet from County that i cannot open and have asked for it to be sent again and instructions coming with it seem to suggest that Group Scout leaders or Section leaders will now be responsible for uploading the data via a secure website!!!

Exactly how the whole county can go live together when it is down to section leaders and GSLs to upload is anyone's guess.
    I have just been asked by a GSL who can open this new spreadsheet if there are any forms that allows some of the data to be collected - I'm not aware of any. He also informed me that one of the pieces of information that is compulsory is BOTH parents details (some only have one!!).

Am i getting all confused with the lack of info as to what is happening.

Is county supposed to be doing the initial data load and this 'new new' spreadsheet for additional information that will be loaded by groups OR is the 'new new' spreadsheet instead of the other one? And is the whole data load being done by Groups/Sections rather than county.

I am hoping that County get back to me but it was 2 days ago I asked - they could be on holiday. i am also awaiting the GSL who can open the spreadsheet to send me a copy that i can read to see what it looks like.

Anyone help!!!!
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,268 Posts
    Is MMS actually going down on Monday? That was the deadline for new OHs to be entered, I kind-of assumed it would stay up a bit longer for us to see if the forms actually come back in time!

Neil

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb123 View Post
    ..............................Anyone help!!!!
    Thanks
    I can't really help as I am not Compass Champion, but just wanted to wish you luck - your post seems to be inidicative of the way the whole Compass thing has been handled, more or less from the outset. I know plenty of people set great store by what Compass will be able to do, how great it will be, etc. etc. I have followed this project (from a distance) with interest and personally I think it will be a debacle.

And before anyone comes back to berate me, I am prepared to eat my words when it has been delivered and I can see for myself what it can and can't do!
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    This was in an email from TSA forwarded to me by my GSL:

Please speak with your team and find out if there are any adults who will be required to help on camps or activities over the summer and have not yet had a disclosure check or renewal submitted. If it is not done by 9am, Monday 14 July then it will not be possible to process their disclosures in time to help over the holiday period.
    You will be able to carry on using all other functions of the current membership system for another couple of weeks after this date. However, it will switch off completely from Monday 28 July for an expected 2 weeks until Compass is live. More information on this and how you will be able to perform the tasks for your role within Compass shortly.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,268 Posts
    Ah, that's more what I thought.

Neil

Thanks
    Well apart from what I have gleaned from eScouts I have been told nothing. District have done nothing, the County Champion refuses to answer questions - How they can expect it to come on line without problems I do not know.

Thanks
    yep - without escouts, I would know nothing

Thanks
    All

The information Kev provided on what is happening to MMS is accurate. It should cease to be from the end of this month. Please look at the "is anyone using Compass" thread for what little more information has been shared. The latest issue of Scouting plus promised a further update, but as you will have seen did not.

Compass will launch in two parts:

Adult system
    Youth functionality

So from August all adult admin will be via Compass. In phases all groups will then be asked to add youth data by uploading basic details (name, DOB, address, emergency contact) using a spreadsheet. To best of my knowledge the finished spread sheets are yet to be confirmed. There are some in circulation which hold virtually the same data, so making a start using them while waiting for the formal instruction is a good use of time.

Final testing of the system is currently under way, and significant feedback on its use ability has been provided Compass Champions to the project team. The adult side of the system is a significant improvement on MMS, and appointment secretaries will welcome it. If they want to take it for a test drive now, a test version is available, and they should contact their County/Region Compass champion for access.

If you are not getting answers from your local champion ask myself or Sinodun. We can share what is known. And for those that are interested here are the provisional upload windows for youth data:

England Avon Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    England Bedfordshire Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England Birmingham Provisional 16 Oct-5 Nov
    England British Scouting Overseas Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England Buckinghamshire Provisional 13 Aug-3 Sep
    England Central Yorkshire Provisional 4 Sep-25 Sep
    England Cheshire Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England City Of Coventry Provisional 4 Sep-25 Sep
    England Cleveland Provisional 4 Sep-25 Sep
    England Cornwall Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    England Cumbria Provisional 16 Oct-5 Nov
    England Derbyshire Provisional 4 Sep-25 Sep
    England Devon Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England Dorset Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    England Durham Provisional 4 Sep-25 Sep
    England East Lancashire Provisional 16 Oct-5 Nov
    England East Susse1 Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England Esse1 Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    England Gloucestershire Provisional 16 Oct-5 Nov
    England Gt. London Middlese1 West Provisional 16 Oct-5 Nov
    England Gt. London North Provisional 16 Oct-5 Nov
    England Gt. London South Provisional 13 Aug-3 Sep
    England Gt. London South East Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England Gt. London South West Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England Gt. Manchester East Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England Gt. Manchester North Provisional 4 Sep-25 Sep
    England Gt. Manchester West Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England Hampshire Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England Hereford & Worcester Provisional 4 Sep-25 Sep
    England Hertfordshire Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    England Isle of Jersey Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    England Isle Of Man Provisional 16 Oct-5 Nov
    England Isle Of Wight Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    England Kent Provisional 16 Oct-5 Nov
    England Leicestershire Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England Lincolnshire Provisional 13 Aug-3 Sep
    England Merseyside Provisional 16 Oct-5 Nov
    England National SAS Units Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    England Norfolk Provisional 4 Sep-25 Sep
    England North Yorkshire Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England Notinghamshire Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    England Northamptonshire Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England Northumberland Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England O1fordshire Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    England Royal Berkshire Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England Shropshire Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England Solihull Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    England Somerset Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    England South Yorkshire Provisional 4 Sep-25 Sep
    England Staffordshire Provisional 4 Sep-25 Sep
    England Suffolk Provisional 4 Sep-25 Sep
    England Surrey Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England Warwickshire Provisional 4 Sep-25 Sep
    England West Lancashire Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England West Mercia Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England West Susse1 Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    England West Yorkshire Provisional 13 Aug-3 Sep
    England Wiltshire Provisional 16 Oct-5 Nov
    Northern Ireland Northern Ireland Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    Scotland Clyde - Scotland Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    Scotland East - Scotland Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    Scotland Forth - Scotland Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    Scotland Highlands and Islands -Scotl Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    Scotland North East - Scotland Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    Scotland South East Scotland Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    Scotland South West Scotland Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    Scotland West - Scotland Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    Wales Brecknock Provisional 16 Oct-5 Nov
    Wales Cardiff & Vale of Glamorgan Provisional 4 Sep-25 Sep
    Wales Carmarthenshire Provisional 4 Sep-25 Sep
    Wales Ceredigion Provisional 6 Nov-26 Nov
    Wales Clwyd Provisional 13 Aug-3 Sep
    Wales Gwent Provisional 16 Oct-5 Nov
    Wales Mid Glamorgan Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    Wales Pembrokeshire Provisional 4 Sep-25 Sep
    Wales Radnor Provisional 25 Sep-16 Oct
    Wales Snowdonia And Anglesey Provisional 16 Oct-5 Nov
    Last edited by bryceek; 11-07-2014 at 05:49 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bryceek For This Useful Post:

Bloory (11-07-2014),DonTregartha (13-07-2014),Kev (12-07-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    This was in an email from TSA forwarded to me by my GSL:
    OK so i misread that bit - but that was not my query - my query relates to the uploading of youth data using the spreadsheet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bryceek View Post
    All

The information Kev provided on what is happening to MMS is accurate. It should cease to be from the end of this month. Please look at the "is anyone using Compass" thread for what little more information has been shared. The latest issue of Scouting plus promised a further update, but as you will have seen did not.

Compass will launch in two parts:

Adult system
    Youth functionality

So from August all adult admin will be via Compass. In phases all groups will then be asked to add youth data by uploading basic details (name, DOB, address, emergency contact) using a spreadsheet. To best of my knowledge the finished spread sheets are yet to be confirmed. There are some in circulation which hold virtually the same data, so making a start using them while waiting for the formal instruction is a good use of time.

Final testing of the system is currently under way, and significant feedback on its use ability has been provided Compass Champions to the project team. The adult side of the system is a significant improvement on MMS, and appointment secretaries will welcome it. If they want to take it for a test drive now, a test version is available, and they should contact their County/Region Compass champion for access.

If you are not getting answers from your local champion ask myself or Sinodun. We can share what is known.
    I am aware of the adult data being dealt with shortly.

It is the youth data - I was sent a spreadsheet as i stated in December for the census this year. We didn't use it but i copied all the data into it after the census as asked all groups to keep it up to date.

This week I was sent a new updated spreadsheet that I cannot open and was told this was the latest version.

A GSL who can open it has told me that there are far more fields than the census one and more of them compulsory.

Hence my question about whether the goal posts have changed re the data they require and who is loading it. If left to groups in some cases it will not happen!!

From your reply the spreadsheet is still to be finalise so there could be more changes.

I will wait until i get a copy of the spreadsheet that I can see - but until then i am unable to support the groups in the District !!!

Just to add there is a lengthy word document that came with the spreadsheet that give some instruction but I cannot see what it is referring to until I can see the spreadsheet.

Thanks
    Is there a Compass Champion out there who has the answers to a couple of questions that I will ask after my moan. i have emailed my County Champion but not had a reply as yet.

I was asked some time ago (12months or more) to be my District's Compass bod - since then I have been invited to one meeting that gave very little information, I have also attended a GSLs seminar where a HQ bod demonstrated some of the facilities.

Anyone help!!!!
    Thanks
    Apparently there was a West Yorkshire county awareness session at Bradley Wood yesterday evening, but I only found out about it at the district GSLs meeting on Tuesday gone, when my SL who is also ADC(Scouts) and I found out at the same time a pretty unimpressed Compass tester, informed me he was attending.

We are the only group out of 13 in my district that uses OSM, although the DESC uses it for explorers. My DC thought that TSA was shutting OSM down when Compass went live in August. I know that our district appointments secretary has sorted all the adults appointments out on MMS in liaison with GSLs or other group contacts, but as for YP, we appear to be the only group with electronic records, so god knows how all the YP will be put onto Compass in our district. We have one GSL who doesn't even own a computer, another who doesn't use a computer, that's his wifes' job, and a couple of others who seem to really struggle with IT, but they've nearly all got 50 year service medals, silver acorns, and bars to silver acorns.

Our County Compass champion, is our county secreatry. She's really nice, but she's far too busy being county secretary and a part of the Green Withens Water Activity Centre team to give the Compass champion role the time it needs.
    Last edited by Ian Mallett; 11-07-2014 at 03:35 PM.
    Simba (my daughter wouldn't let me be Rafiki, and now she's a Network Scout & ABSL)
    ABSL
    Birstall Scout Group
    West Yorkshire

Thanks
    Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mallett View Post
    Our County Compass champion, is our county secretary. She's really nice, but she's far too busty
    Poor lass, terrible on the back.

Ian
    (Sorry, couldn't resist, as usual)
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks
    This week I was sent a new updated spreadsheet that I cannot open and was told this was the latest version.
    What format is it in? Could you download something like Openoffice which is quite good at opening various spreadsheet formats if your own programme can't handle it?
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

Thanks
    Ian. Thanks for the laugh. Better check your spelling before your champion sees it. For info Sue has been busy testing Compass this week.

There is an expectation from Gilwell that we in the boondocks are all computer literate. For those that are not we are to identify a friend in the group who is and who will do the upload for us. This view is no doubt based on some empirical evidence, and surveys HQ have conducted. So much so that Compass will be the only method of submitting the2015 census.

Send me the spreadsheet and documents by pm so I can figure out what they are. I will check if they are kosher.

OSM. Is nothing to do with TSA. It is a third party application offering functionality similar to Compass.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bryceek For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (11-07-2014)

Thanks
    I will add to this what I can though Bryceek has answered most of the questions. No further submissions for OH's etc after 14th of this month. MMS will close forever on the 28th. Compass will be available for people to register from about 14th August. All data in MMS will be transferred automatically both youth and adult. All work on adult data will then be done on Compass from then. What happens with Youth data depends a little bit on your current situation and you have a few options.

If you already use MMS for youth data (as I believe all of Cambridgeshire already do) then the data transfer will be done for you and you can use Compass from the get go.

If you use OSM currently then Ed is going to provide a mechanism for you to do a download of your data in a format that Compass can handle. Then when the date for your county comes round (see previous post) each section/group will be able to upload their data to a secure area and it will end up in Compass.

If you currently have your data in another format (SMS, Excel sheet, record cards, backs of fag packets) then you have between now and your date to get that data onto the upload spreadsheet (which I'm happy to provide to anyone who DM's me) at which point the same upload process as for OSM will apply.

Note that for data security reasons counties will not be doing this upload for you, neither will your Champion though we are all ready to help (well I am, don't suppose I should speak for everyone) but it doesn't have to be your GSL, just someone with the authority to have the data and a smidge of IT experience.

For those who don't want to go down any of these routes they can enter all the data manually at any point from go live til the end of the year at which point everyone has to be in Compass.

To reiterate a previous point OSM is not being shut down and no doubt many people will wish to continue to use it, but they have to enter the basic data in Compass.

It is true that the test version some of us has been working on isn't 100% but I've found it pretty good and expect it to improve over time.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Sinodun; 11-07-2014 at 07:14 PM.
    CSL 12th Didcot
    Compass Implementation Champion (Oxfordshire)