Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lego

Thanks

Lego

I started collecting lego for our Groups use.

Has anyone else? and if so any pointers about how best to acquire it?

Thanks

Thanks
    Ask parents for any old stuff
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,182 Times in 1,722 Posts
    Freecycle... Gumtree...

I have a chest in the attic, must have about 1,000 worth of Lego in it, but it will go to a third generation... I think many familes put it in a box in the attic for the next generation.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Freecycle... Gumtree...

I have a chest in the attic, must have about 1,000 worth of Lego in it, but it will go to a third generation... I think many familes put it in a box in the attic for the next generation.
    All my childhood lego is still in my parents loft, one day my own kids will hopefully get as many hours fun out of it as I did. At some point it, the train set, and a collection of about 100 toy cars will need to move lofts... i suspect it will involve a weekend of memories!

Even second hand lego is worth quite a bit - i'd be surprised to find anyone giving it away on freecycle when it can be sold on Ebay!

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    The last time I looked it was selling on ebay by the kilogram. Have a look on ebay to see if anybody near you is selling some, so you can collect it rather than pay postage. You could also ask charity shops to hold on to it for you.

Thanks
    Also be very careful there is some stuff that looks very much like lego but with out the 'LEGO' on the top. We were given a huge box & the fake stuff doesn't hold true.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbb View Post
    Also be very careful there is some stuff that looks very much like lego but with out the 'LEGO' on the top. We were given a huge box & the fake stuff doesn't hold true.
    Brrrr, Mega blocks, evil evil dirty nasty mega blocks, always in there polluting the worshipful collection of lego. A building block that's supposed to fix together, but never quite does? Begone with you!

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

BeardySi (02-10-2014),Jarreman (02-10-2014)

Thanks
    There was some copycat stuff produced in the 1960s that looked like lego but was made of a more brittle plastic. It fitted with Lego, but was not as indestructable. I think Lego sued the manufacturer.

There was also a rubber based system from back in the 1950s, it had a lovely squishy feel to it and if you stood on it, it did not deliver the sharp agony that comes with Lego...
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

Thanks
    ................There was also a rubber based system from back in the 1950s, it had a lovely squishy feel to it and if you stood on it, it did not deliver the sharp agony that comes with Lego...
    I remember this (but hope it was later than the fifties!). I was trying to explain it to my kids and couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called - any ideas?
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    I remember this (but hope it was later than the fifties!). I was trying to explain it to my kids and couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called - any ideas?
    there are and have been many varieties of building blocks! the rubber ones went under a range of names (and i'm talking later than 50s!), and still do.

when i was 'little' i preferred betta bilda to lego. betta bilda was made by airfix and the blocks were smaller. this allowed for more detailed constructs. as my teacher said at school one day, kids who like a challenge - the bright kids! - should get betta bilda, those who were not so good - the thickos - should stick with lego!

betta was bright!

thicko was lego!

the good thing, iirc, about betta bilda was that it was on the classic H0/00 scale and was therefore size compatible with one's railway sets.

i think it was best-lock which had the fight with lego. lego lost, iirc!

you can get best-lock bricks. based somewhere up in the god-forsaken north! there's also meg-blocks as ianw says, tandem bricks, k'nex have just started doing bricks, wal-mart in the US have their own variety....endless list.

if you want a pile of lego bricks then bid for the 1000-brick lots that come up often on ebay.

i'm not really into this sort of thing! (as you might have guessed, i favour the excitement of legal wars over POR!) and as for a degree in engineering...????? you must be joking!

i'll stick with my small rainy-day amusement pile of 6-8k lego bricks and 14 k'nex rollercoasters.

regards, TM
    Last edited by merryweather; 02-10-2014 at 10:20 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to merryweather For This Useful Post:

BigBadBaloo (02-10-2014)

Thanks
    Freecycle... Gumtree...

why have you been looking in my attic!!?

TM

Thanks
    I found two brands - Happi Bricks and Minibrix. I think the one available in the UK was Minibrix - I seem to recall the buildings in the images. http://www.architoys.net/toys/toypages/minibrix.html

http://www.minibrix.com/models.html

I said 1950s, because when I was a kid I played with Minibrix that belonged to older cousins, which would have made it 1950s, but I see that they were made between 1935 and 1975.
    Ewan Scott

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

BigBadBaloo (02-10-2014)

Thanks
    Having done a bit of googling, I am pretty sure that the ones I remember are Minibrix

Takes me back a good few years!
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    read one of the histories and it brought back memories. Being rubber, they didn't like clicking together, so you used to lick them to lubricate them so that they would slip together. I remembered doing that and getting into trouble. I also remembered the taste too. Ah, memories...
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    i remember minibrix!

the lad next door was my best friend and we were betta bilda addicts. john's little brother had minibrix, mainly to stop him nicking the betta bilda stuff.

not the 50s for me.

TM