Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Youth upload

Thanks
    Thanked 3,354 Times in 1,448 Posts

Youth upload

I am now busy every weekend until the end of january

If HQ want me to upload youth data before the census, it is going to be difficult.

The data that i collected for the youth upload is now out of date. i would be breaking the law if i uploaded it.

I will need to do a manual change of all the data that gets uploaded.

The whole thing is an insanely incompetent way to treat volunteers.

Just thought i'd share... are they expecting us to spend xmas crunching data? I did most of it back in august... i feel rather stupid and ill-used now.

Thanks
    We've only just got our admin permissions.

Group secretary said she would take a look on Wednesday, but she has never logged in to compass.

Although we have some of this stuff, not looking hopeful

When is the SA going to tell us the REAL deadlines - or are we going to bust a gut only to be told on the 12th Jan that the date has been pushed back?

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Thanks
    I have just been looking at the new young person information form and could not believe the contents.

Has anyone distributed these to parents yet and had any returned?

Thanks
    From what I was told, the (updated application) forms are for new members only

Thanks
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I have just been looking at the new young person information form and could not believe the contents.
    If you take the mandatory fields, there are only a small number of pieces of data we didn't already collect:-

1. The doctor's surgery information (we probably should have collected that).

2. The demographic information which we just did once a year for Census.

3. That level of communication permissions.

Not a huge amount.

Neil

Thanks
    The surgery details would not be a problem, but I do not posess E mail address for all parents.

I stopped using E mail a while ago due to lack of response.

Will the lack of mandatory e mail address exclude me from entering details of my group when I finally can use compass.

I am a GSL.

Ron

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Will the lack of mandatory e mail address exclude me from entering details of my group when I finally can use compass.
    I am 90% sure one of the options is something like "no current email", allowing you to fill in the mandatory option, both in the upload spreadsheet, and in the actual compass system.

All my parents have email addresses, how many reply to emails when asked however....

I haven't even started collecting information from parents yet, I don't want to waste my time or theirs.

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTregartha View Post
    .............When is the SA going to tell us the REAL deadlines - or are we going to bust a gut only to be told on the 12th Jan that the date has been pushed back?
    I think they probably would if they themselves knew what they were - I have the distinct impression that they are floundering in the dark and have very little idea how to get out of the huge hole they have dug for themselves by treating "coal-face" leaders like mushrooms.

I have seen elsewhere from a webinar held with Compass Champions on 5th November that the deadline for youth upload has been extended from Mid-Dec to 31st Jan but each County/Region will be able to decide their own timings within this deadline to suit local requirements.

I have also seen it reported that leaders will get there invitations to register on the system this week - I am not holding my breath!
    Last edited by BigBadBaloo; 10-11-2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: To make my reply make sense!!
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    In what way is the data you have collected out of date?

I have collected our annual info and general permission forms back from parents, and they are current till the next academic year or until parents inform us of a change to the info on the forms

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    I am now busy every weekend until the end of january

If HQ want me to upload youth data before the census, it is going to be difficult.

The data that i collected for the youth upload is now out of date. i would be breaking the law if i uploaded it.

I will need to do a manual change of all the data that gets uploaded.

The whole thing is an insanely incompetent way to treat volunteers.

Just thought i'd share... are they expecting us to spend xmas crunching data? I did most of it back in august... i feel rather stupid and ill-used now.
    Not sure who in our group will be doing all the collating. Personally I am not going to bother until somebody more local than Gilwell (and with a better grasp of reality) tells me I need to. Maybe by that time Compass will actually be working
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,620 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richardsonl86 View Post

I have collected our annual info and general permission forms back from parents, and they are current till the next academic year or until parents inform us of a change to the info on the forms

Can't speak for Chris, but I was ORDERED to present the membership data back in May.It was collated and presented on the HQ provided spreadsheet. I was bullied because there was missing data - the parents had not submittedall the information. I managed to complete almost all the blank details (illegally). That data has not been uploaded.

In the normal course of a six month period there would have been some change in Beavers and Cubs, and even some in Scouts as they moved to Explorers. The data submitted would now be out of date.

The reality is that there has been a HUGE leakage of both adult and youth members and the current reality nowhere near reflects the data that should have been uploaded. I should imagine Chris is experiencing that phenomena.

I'm curious Richard - do you have absolutely no losses during the year? No new intake during the year? Is your data stagnant from one Census till the next? Because you are required, by POR, to maintain an accurate record, and that must account for new joiners and leakage throughout the year.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richardsonl86 View Post

Young people join/leave/change sections for a start so this needs adding/deleting from the upload spreadsheets. If they have changed sections they need to be moved from one spreadsheet to another. If I had prepared mine back in August (which was our original date - er no, hang on, it was May!) then I would have to spend some considerable time amending now.
    Last edited by David Kendall; 10-11-2014 at 03:16 PM.
    In between roles/helping out where I can......

Thanks
    The latest I heard on this was that the youth upload process will be trialled with a couple.of areas to make sure it is all OK then rolled out. Again, the latest I heard was that data should be uploaded by end Jan 15
    CSL 12th Didcot
    Compass Implementation Champion (Oxfordshire)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinodun View Post
    The latest I heard on this was that the youth upload process will be trialled with a couple.of areas to make sure it is all OK then rolled out. Again, the latest I heard was that data should be uploaded by end Jan 15

So they trial it in a couple of areas and find issues (just like they did with adult data) then what - there is no time for problems.

Leaders are now heading into busy time (Scouting, family and work) with Christmas

Support for issues will be low as people become not available due to end of year leave, festivities etc

It sounds (from FB and on here) that some Leaders do not even know they have to prepare for Compass - don't know how this can happen as there is supposed to be District cascade.

I think it is now time for a reality check by HQ - all youth data is not going to be ready for end of Jan census!
    In between roles/helping out where I can......

Thanks
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinodun View Post
    Now why has that not been in Scouting+?

Neil

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

David Kendall (10-11-2014),roger-uk (10-11-2014)