Thread: DBS and Compass and Atlantic

Thanks

DBS and Compass and Atlantic

Here's some information and concern from our AppSec concerning DBS and Compass.... There may be some warning in here for others :

Interface between Compass and Atlantic is poor:-

o Compass does not force users to leave a gap between the two blocks of information re post codes ( e.g.SH25 6YG). Atlantic does not accept this and aborts the application (there is no facility for changing the data once in Atlantic. This resulted in a prospective adult making two trips to my house to complete her DBS application as HQ was closed & I couldn’t get anybody to cancel the current DBS application). I realise that this is a known issue and was eventually shared with us but you are now inviting more people on to the system so the mistakes will be made again

o Compass only provides one box for forenames, Atlantic shows this information on its system as incorrect making it impossible to add people without shuttling between the system (this is down to shoddy programming and pre planning re Compass (the words of the lady affected above whose job is in computers)

• The concept of requiring the DBS application to be done online with the applicant present shows a basic lack of understanding of:-
    o The pressure placed on Leaders on meeting nights
    o The lack of internet access in most scout headquarters
    o In at least three cases in our District the lack of ability to get a mobile phone signal (is HQ advocating all scout groups get a landline and internet access—cost about £30 per month+ installation costs???? Are they prepared to pay for this????)

The advertised benefits of applying through the Atlantic system(i.e. quicker response times) has failed to materialise. I am still waiting for a reply to applications sent on the 6th & 7th November. Under the old system a goodly percentage of replies where back within two to seven days.

• I am continually asked “why do I have to keep giving my permission to send this data to DBS, why do you think I am here with my passport etc”.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RisingStar For This Useful Post:

big chris (03-12-2014),wealdbrook (03-12-2014)

Thanks
    Even better than the poor interface, I've just been emailed my DBS username and password, not the initial random number password but the secure one I subsequently changed it to.

Thanks
    Our Appointments Sec has resigned.

Our DC is trying to piece together an appointments system. We currently have old forms, new forms, no forms, not entered at all, pending, hanging, lost, unknown, don't care .....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hubbard View Post
    Even better than the poor interface, I've just been emailed my DBS username and password, not the initial random number password but the secure one I subsequently changed it to.
    Wow! That is very poor

Jonathan

GSL

ex-Chairman
    49th Bournemouth (St. Katherines) Air Scouts
    NSRA YPS Tutor (Air Rifles)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,246 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by not-so View Post
    Wow! That is very poor
    Given the confidentiality of anything to do with DBS, and given that Atlantic's system is neither new nor custom for TSA, this is very surprising and is a bit concerning.

Of course anyone who does receive such an email should change their password.

Neil

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    Given the confidentiality of anything to do with DBS, and given that Atlantic's system is neither new nor custom for TSA, this is very surprising and is a bit concerning.

Of course anyone who does receive such an email should change their password.
    It means Atlantic are storing passwords either in plain text or with reversible encryption. Very poor. If they get hacked, there will be a VERY large fine from the ICO. Therefore use a unique password that is not EVER used for anything else. Not TSA's fault though, and will affect hundreds of other organisations that use them.
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterSheppard For This Useful Post:

MatSav (04-12-2014),Neil Williams (04-12-2014)

Thanks
    You're not wrong, have already made [email protected] aware. Not sure which is worse the fact that they are not storing as a one way hash or that the think it's on to email a password with a user name. Especially when we all know our sure names (our membership numbers without the leading zeros).

Thanks
    Interestingly, on teh scout site under disclosures and data protection it says the Scout Association is the Data Controller of the information. So, if we get a breach the SA will be equally liable for any fine from the ICO.

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big George View Post
    Interestingly, on teh scout site under disclosures and data protection it says the Scout Association is the Data Controller of the information. So, if we get a breach the SA will be equally liable for any fine from the ICO.
    Equally, or solely?

Thanks
    Is anyone else having this problem?

I can log onto the DBS site and I go to a dashboard. Here I can search for people on the system. I can also update my profile which I have done.

However.... I can't find any way to start a new DBS application. All the user guides suggest that this functionality exists but I don't see it. Am I looking in the wrong place? I am using Firefox but the problem persists when I try other browsers. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Nigel
    ABSL 1st Hoveton and Wroxham Sea Scouts
    www.hovetonandwroxhamscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
    Is anyone else having this problem?

I can log onto the DBS site and I go to a dashboard. Here I can search for people on the system. I can also update my profile which I have done.

However.... I can't find any way to start a new DBS application. All the user guides suggest that this functionality exists but I don't see it. Am I looking in the wrong place? I am using Firefox but the problem persists when I try other browsers. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Nigel
    You start it from within Compass. Take a look here:
    http://compassuserguide.scouts.org.uk/?p=1593
    Simon Parr
    Group Scout Leader - 1st Nanpantan Scouts
    County Cub Scout Leader - Leicestershire Scouts

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sitb2000 For This Useful Post:

Hatman (05-12-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks Simon. Got it now.

Nigel
    ABSL 1st Hoveton and Wroxham Sea Scouts
    www.hovetonandwroxhamscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,459 Times in 1,507 Posts
    It is worth noting that there is no notification system when the applicant does their part of the task.

They need to tell the leader at the group that they have answered the ID question and need to arrange to meet up.

Thanks
    I'm going to go through this in person with the candidate. It's an absolute joke, I went through the same process myself at our local rugby club where I help coach and that went off without a hitch.