View Poll Results: Do you think you will be able to upload the Youth Data by 31-01-15

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

44 55.70%
  • No

13 16.46%
  • Don't Know

17 21.52%
  • What's COMPASS?

5 6.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: POLL:Do you think the your Group / Unit will be able to upload its Youth Data in time

Thanks
    Yes, Scout data in, Beaver and Cubs submitted.
    In between roles/helping out where I can......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 786 Posts
    Yes so long as I get moved to the correct Unit in time

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Yes, it should be fine. I'm waiting until the new year so I can move beavers,cubs,scouts up to their new sections then I will upload.

Thanks
    Yes we COULD do the upload very soon - but whether that's WISE is another matter.

For example, we don't currently hold parents' dates of birth. I'd assumed that if we left that blank on the spreadsheet we'd be able to add that later to enable parent access to Compass. However, it seems that may not be possible. So we may need to do a comprehensive data collection exercise before doing the OSM export / Compass upload.

Ingleby, Redcar And Cleveland, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Had to answer don't know, not sure if anyone in Group has admin rights
    Richard Fenton
    CSL 1st Hartburn Sea Scouts (Graham Mellanby's Own)
    www.hartburnseascouts.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,981 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London Scouter View Post
    Yes we COULD do the upload very soon - but whether that's WISE is another matter.

For example, we don't currently hold parents' dates of birth. I'd assumed that if we left that blank on the spreadsheet we'd be able to add that later to enable parent access to Compass. However, it seems that may not be possible. So we may need to do a comprehensive data collection exercise before doing the OSM export / Compass upload.
    I will not be retro-collecting parents' dates of birth, as I don't think that is a question you ask of people. It's on the new form and any new parents can supply it if they want as an optional field.

With no friendly "parent portal" I can't imagine why in a million years any parent would want to log in, in any case.

Neil

Thanks
    I think we may have a few parents with the same DOB. And name. And address. And email.

Thanks
    Isn't it rather 'iffy' in data protection terms to collect parents date of birth? TSA don't need it and it is one of the items frequently used as an identity question by banks (Halifax seem to just about insist on using DoB). It can be said that DoB is needed for YP to ensure they move between sections at the correct time, but not parents.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    I will not be retro-collecting parents' dates of birth, as I don't think that is a question you ask of people. It's on the new form and any new parents can supply it if they want as an optional field.

With no friendly "parent portal" I can't imagine why in a million years any parent would want to log in, in any case.

Neil
    If/when I get the information into Compass, I would like to invite all parents to login and check their details are correct, they are the best people to do this. Even if they don't bother, they cannot then complain if their details are incorrect.

Unfortunately, I agree that it is at best rather rude to ask parents for their DoB. I really want this to be looked at again, it just makes it even less likely that they will bother.

I also agree that a friendly "parent portal" would be great, but that really would be shooting for the moon at the moment.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,981 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khoomei View Post
    If/when I get the information into Compass, I would like to invite all parents to login and check their details are correct, they are the best people to do this. Even if they don't bother, they cannot then complain if their details are incorrect.
    I would like to do that, but it is certain to result in me spending half my life doing IT support. Compass is not friendly enough for parent use.

If any parent approaches me and asks about it, I will explain how they can get access and point them to the help site. But I'm not going to encourage it at present.

A better approach than DoB would be for the Leader to be able to generate an initial password and pass that out to the parent, perhaps in paper form.

Neil

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

khoomei (05-12-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Isn't it rather 'iffy' in data protection terms to collect parents date of birth? TSA don't need it and it is one of the items frequently used as an identity question by banks (Halifax seem to just about insist on using DoB). It can be said that DoB is needed for YP to ensure they move between sections at the correct time, but not parents.

Parents date of birth is nothing whatsoever to do with TSA, even if its a Compass datapoint

I'll not be asking any parent for this information

Thanks
    Yes, even if I re type/ cut & paste from OSM it's only 1 minute per member it a only going to take 2hrs max. The issue is I've got the hump about having to do it at all when I can extract the census data from OSM in minutes.
    Will I do it? Possibly but the quality will be bare minimum if I have to do it manually and by that I mean only the info TSA need to count members and charge us our annual subs. Which means no ethnicity, no religion, no members phone numbers etc the system is so crap there's no way the developers responsible were bright enough to catch generic data. Postcodes same or better NN9 9NN

Thanks
    I've put what was needed in fine, will still use OSM as it is light years ahead of compass and probably always will be.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBigDog For This Useful Post:

mikewhay (05-12-2014)

Thanks
    There are some I've noticed who are using their own concerns about DPA, or petty points (like the password requiring to have a variety of character types) to declare that they won't be using it, and some who claim to have no net access anywhere within the section or parental membership. To me that results in a couple of possible outcomes...

1) There is very wide dissension / mass disobedience / genuine bewilderment and failure and the Census is so far down on numbers that TSA is forced to allow a backup mechanism for this year (only ?!) or end up with very low income and a drop in numbers.

2) There are very a few sections who won't/can't and they end up being helped by district/county, and I guess in the case of total refuseniks asked to leave the movement if they won't register their members with HQ thereby ensuring their contribution and continued insurance.

At present I've really no idea which way it will go. Locally the worst is ambivalence ("I'll do it after Christmas"), and certainly none of the foot down, "I will refuse to use", beloved of some leaders I've seen. Assuming that goes the same nationally, then the whole thing will hinge on whether it works well enough for people to use it when they get round to it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RisingStar For This Useful Post:

tony-nic (05-12-2014)

Thanks
    At the end of the day I'm sure we'll all end up with census data in Compass. Personally I'd like to see a bit of a shake up in those responsible for what is a catalogue of poor judgement, miscommunication and more than likely naive use of funds. Will anyone be called to account, probably not, why ? Because those of us running sections are volunteers and viewed as expendable minions bound to do as we are told like good little Boy Scouts.
    Am I cross ... Yes, will it make me quit the movement no, I don't do it for the movement I do it for the kids in the village where I live.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Hubbard For This Useful Post:

bryceek (05-12-2014)