Thread: Misuse of data provided for Compass

Thanks

Misuse of data provided for Compass

Hi Wayne,

Can I draw your attention to the comment below.

Quote Originally Posted by Testarossa View Post
    Well, I'm livid. As requested, I spent 3 hours cutting and pasting data from OSM into the new Compass spreadsheet and sent it to our DC for upload.

She hasn't yet uploaded it, but has used the data to email all our Explorers over our heads about a Gold Expedition for next year...that none of them are yet capable of doing as they haven't had the training and still have a silver expedition to do. You should see the email, telling them she stringly recommends they take up this opportunity.

ARGH!

Someone remind me why I'm still here!
    This is exactly the sort of thing that undermines the work sections and groups put in to developing a programme of meetings and events and will undoubtedly mean leaders have to justify their approach to parents.

What can be put in place to stop this now?

Thanks
    Happy to investigate if you can give me the District and circumstances, otherwise I can't comment I'm afraid. I suspect, from experience, that there will be more to this than the limited information given.
    Wayne Bulpitt

Thanks
    That's fair enough. I'll leave it to the OP to decide whether further information can be given.

I'll rephrase my question a little though if you don't mind.

In Compass, do Districts, Counties and Regions have the capability to email youth members and their parents directly?

I have already asked this question at a County Compass Meeting but we have now been waiting six weeks for HQ to answer the questions that were raised but could not be answered that night.

Thanks
    Hi Bev,

No secret, I believe the answer I gave back in August covers this for youhttps://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/thr...ata-in-Compass.

It does pose an interesting wider question that fits with my other posts about communications. In the same way that leaders complain about the failings of the cascade approach, so too do young people (there is a thread on FB about cancellation of the NSGSO event for example). In today's world of social media, the young people in the OP for example are very likely to hear of the opportunity through other means. So there are clearly benefits in more direct communication with young people especially 14+ but for this to be successful it must be trusted by section and unit leaders. We need to find the middle ground that gives us the best of both worlds, the journey there may may (as the pilot of the plane I've just boarded tells me) be a little bumpy.

thanks again,
    Wayne
    Wayne Bulpitt

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bulpittw For This Useful Post:

boomer_ie (10-12-2014),Daniel (09-12-2014),MikeGH (08-12-2014),Neil Williams (08-12-2014),RisingStar (08-12-2014)