Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Akela?

Thanks

Akela?

Just been on scouts facebook page, where there is a post about using Mowgli as a leader name. When I first started out I was pretty relaxed about what the cubs called me , either Akela or my name was fine. Then we went on a joint camp with 3 other packs, all of which HAD to call their leaders by their Jungle Book names. One young lad came up to me one night and asked 'Why dont your cubs have to call you Akela?' From that moment on I havent been Akela once, my cubs have called me by my first name for the last 8 years, and none of my other leaders are Baloo or whatever. Posted this on the facebook page and was derided for denying the cubs their heritage? Thoughts please.
    Last edited by bernwood; 18-12-2014 at 09:15 AM.

Thanks
    My thoughts - do what you (and your Cubs) are happy with, and let everyone else just get on with it. Some of my senior Cubs call me Peter, but most call me Baloo (they could of course call me Grandad but lets not go there! ).

When I took over as CSL and kept the name I had as an ACSL, some of the "old guard" in the district commented that I should take the name Akela and also pointed out that I wasn't doing the Grand Howl "correctly". I pointed out that it was now "my" pack, and if they had any useful advice it would be appreciated!

I have seen that post on 1stFB. If a pack is going to use tradition and the leader naming conventions, they should research and follow it faithfully. I mean King Louie, really!
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigBadBaloo For This Useful Post:

bernwood (18-12-2014),Madz (30-01-2015),silverhairedbeaver (09-02-2015)

Thanks
    I was under the impression that a number of years ago the Scout Association were going to drop the Jungle Book as a theme but too many adults complained,.
    As a result it was decided that Jungle Book theme was an option rather than a must.

Did I dream that?

So call yourself what you are happy with whether it be a Jungle name, your proper name or some nickname.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daveb123 For This Useful Post:

bernwood (18-12-2014),silverhairedbeaver (09-02-2015)

Thanks
    Do what works for you and your Pack. We have three scout leaders named Chris (out of 6) - so the SL uses Skip.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ASLChris For This Useful Post:

Madz (30-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,184 Times in 1,724 Posts
    It is a long time ago, but I seem to recall that Mowgli was NOT one of the names used for Leaders as we cubs each represented Mowgli and Akela was the Wolf that looked after us.

I could go and check my Wolf Cub Handbook but this is just another prevarication to keep me way from actually doing some work.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

johnL (01-02-2015),shiftypete (18-12-2014),silverhairedbeaver (09-02-2015)

Thanks
    I did read somewhere that Mowgli was seen as being a bit inappropriate as a leader name for the reason mentioned above. I also read that many packs shy away from using Shere Kahn (due to him being the antagonist), but we had a leader go by that name when I was a Cub.

So, do what works for you and your Cubs, I say.
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    Our pack has an Akela, but no other jungle book names. Myself and the other assistant leaders and pack assistants. All go by their first name.

Our reasoning is that we all regularly work with the other sections as well, and often on joint activities, so using our names allows everyone to call us the same thing without confusion.

Thanks
    We have no Akela, but we do have jungle book names. I have a really complicated first name so Bagheera is so much easier.
    Nyika (formerly Bagheera)

On hiatus.
    Archery Leader

Scouting for All and nobody left behind!

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bernwood View Post
    Just been on scouts facebook page,
    that's a bit dangerous this early in the morning don't you think?

where there is a post about using Mowgli as a leader name.
    not traditionally!

When I first started out I was pretty relaxed about what the cubs called me , either Akela or my name was fine. Then we went on a joint camp with 3 other packs, all of which HAD to call their leaders by their Jungle Book names. One young lad came up to me one night and asked 'Why dont your cubs have to call you Akela?' From that moment on I haven't been Akela once, my cubs have called me by my first name for the last 8 years, and none of my other leaders are Baloo or whatever.
    use your real name, or use a nickname, or use a JB name.....

your choice!

if you're a scientist they could call you newt, short for newton.

if you're an engineer they could you steph for stephenson.

if you're in IT they could call you gatesy for the ms guy.

if you're into football they could call you charlton or bobby.

if you're in the police they could call you sherlock.

if you're into dancing they could call you darling.

if you're a soldier they could call you wellie after wellington.

if you're a nurse they could call you flo (there again maybe not).

if you're into disney films they could call you olaf of arendelle.

if you're into business stuff they could call you lord sugar or sweetie-pie.

the thing to remember is that it's your choice!

Posted this on the facebook page and was derided for denying the cubs their heritage? Thoughts please.
    there is no obligation to follow the JB theme.

people are constantly derided on 1FB!

hth

cordially yours, Andrex

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    My thoughts - do what you (and your Cubs) are happy with, and let everyone else just get on with it. Some of my senior Cubs call me Peter, but most call me Baloo (they could of course call me Grandad but lets not go there! ).
    no let's not go there!

if everyone in your pack called you grandad then there might be some quizzical looks on the faces of the dads coming to pick them up!

i'd stick with baloo. safer!

TM

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to merryweather For This Useful Post:

BigBadBaloo (18-12-2014),Bloory (18-12-2014),Madz (30-01-2015),silverhairedbeaver (09-02-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by harryman100 View Post
    ........................Our reasoning is that we all regularly work with the other sections as well, and often on joint activities, so using our names allows everyone to call us the same thing without confusion.
    Of course that reasoning is equally applicable had you all taken Jungle Book names. The Scouts and Explorers still call us Cub leaders by our Jungle Book names (but that may be because we remember them from when the moved up from the ankle-biters!
    Peter

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merryweather View Post
    no let's not go there!

if everyone in your pack called you grandad then there might be some quizzical looks on the faces of the dads coming to pick them up!

i'd stick with baloo. safer!

TM
    At least I didn't say great-grandad!
    Peter

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    At least I didn't say great-grandad!
    yes thank the Lord you didn't or else you would have had almost the whole of bracknell worried!

TM

Thanks
    Thanked 3,184 Times in 1,724 Posts
    The Wolf Cub's Handbook - By Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell
    P14 ..." the boy remained with the Wolves and grew up as one of the family. They called him Mowgli - and they taught him all the tricks of the Jungle."

You cannot be Mowgli and also be a Leader.

In the Fourth Bite Mowgli and the Banderlog, he is taken by the Banderlog. On page 44...

"I don't think any boy wants to belong to the Banderlog - that is the silly ass boys... Wolf Cubs are not like them"

There is a further reference to Mowgli as a Wolf cub, making dens on page 92.

It is clear that BP never saw Mowgli as a leader.

Shere Khan was used as a Leader name because although Mr. Nasty in the story, he has a positive role to play in many of the games described in the handbook ( though he does meet an untimely end by being trampled to death by frightened buffalo p92.

Not used as Leader names were Banderlog, and Tabaqui as they were silly assed monkeys and cowardly sneaky heyenas.

You know it all comes down to the same old issue. Failure to read the manual. Now, I would not expect today's CSLs to read the old Wolf Cub Handbook, though to do so would do no harm. But they could, if they wish to use Jungle Book references, read the actual book, not some Disney interpretation.

Actually, I watched Kim the other day - I'm easily distracted from work nowadays - and I couldn't help thinking that here, once the context had been set, was a film that was ideal for showing to Cubs. Okay, it was an interpretation, but a lot closer than Disney was with the JB.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

Madz (30-01-2015)

Thanks
    Most of our Cubs like calling us JB names - a few don't bother, we don't mind but some of the other Cubs do and will loudly correct them!
    I often hear a shout of Akela across the playground when collecting my kids and then find one of them running over to find out "what are we doing tonight"
    Martin (GSL & acting CSL)