Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanitary Products and Scout Halls

Thanks

Sanitary Products and Scout Halls

Evening all

We are getting close to the stage in our refurbishment where the toilets will be finished and someone might actually use them by choice. As such, I am starting to wonder about sanitary bins and waste disposal.

We have a couple of regular hirers, but nothing major - however appropriate sanitary waste provision for ladies is going to be needed.

PHS or so is an option, but there is rarely anyone in during the day.

What do others do?

cheers

Rich

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    This is an interesting one. Since the nursery (who used to have a bin hired through Initial) moved out we have kind-of ignored the problem (and interestingly no-one has complained or commented). There is a dustbin in the toilets... obviously we don't go through the contents so not sure if items are ending up in there, or down the toilets.

We did discuss providing small bins in the cubicles which would then find their way discreetly into the general waste....

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Have a look at Brilliant Bins website - for low volumes of usage that you would get a typical Scout HQ this looks like the solution. We have been conisdering them for the campsite - so any feedback would be welcomed -- http://www.brilliantbins.co.uk/
    A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room. Baden-Powell

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnL View Post
    Have a look at Brilliant Bins website - for low volumes of usage that you would get a typical Scout HQ this looks like the solution. We have been conisdering them for the campsite - so any feedback would be welcomed -- http://www.brilliantbins.co.uk/
    These look very similar to the ones that Thriftwood use - give Colin a call for his opinion.
    Kate, CSL (and GDB(S))
    1st Weald Brook Scout Group
    Brentwood, Essex
    www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

Thanks
    We just leave some nappy bags in the Loo's and have a note asking the girls to put them in the bin. We are on a cess pit and previously had no end of problems with girls putting them down the loo. Current arrangement seems to work OK.
    Paul Austin
    Kent Scouts SASU Water team
    G0AXQ, intrests in Scouting, Cycling, Hiking, anything on the water. seeing the young people achive.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnL View Post
    Interesting.

I'd always thought the reason for companies like PHS/Initial providing the collection service they do was that sanitary waste wasn't supposed to be disposed of as "normal waste" by commercial premises (ie we weren't supposed to just chuck it out for the binmen!)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    Interesting.

I'd always thought the reason for companies like PHS/Initial providing the collection service they do was that sanitary waste wasn't supposed to be disposed of as "normal waste" by commercial premises (ie we weren't supposed to just chuck it out for the binmen!)
    Quite what they think happens to all the sanitary waste disposed of in people's homes I have no idea

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Quite what they think happens to all the sanitary waste disposed of in people's homes I have no idea
    But there are often very different rules about "commercial" waste and "domestic" waste.

I guess when we had the nursery in the hall the volume of nappies that they produced made a proper service worthwhile!!

Thanks
    The reason businesses normally need to have them is because of the quantity they deal with. Brilliant Bins actually summarise the law themselves:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.brilliantbins.co.uk/What-is-the-law-on-Sanitary-Bins-Advice-Guidance
    A Quick Guide to the Law on Sanitary Waste Disposal:
    The content of sanitary waste bins is not clinical waste (it wouldn't be acceptable in domestic waste if it was)
    Up to 7kg of sanitary waste can go in any single commercial waste collection (Department of Health)
    The waste collection permit for general waste covers collection of sanitary bin waste.
    You can deal with the bins yourself, you do not have to have a contract.
    These guides help you be sure you comply with sanitary bin legislation.
    There's a fuller version at https://system.netsuite.com/core/med...&cktime=131884

In summary - unless you end up with more than 7Kg of panty liners and used tampons you're fine to put it in the normal waste.

There should be bins in cubicles; the reason you might opt for something like Brilliant Bins or PHS is so that people don't have to see the contents when they open the bin to use it, compared to say a pedal bin, though I'm sure there's non-disposable bins you can pick up in high street shops which offer this if you look around.
    Last edited by Matt Styles; 20-03-2015 at 11:35 AM.
    Code:
    while onCamp == True: 
        if fireHeat < 0.4 then:
             pokeFire()

Thanks
    Thanks Matt

I guess a simple way to avoid people having to look at the contents would be to ask people to use "nappy bag" type bags and to provide such bags in the cubicles... obviously that relies on people actually bothering to use the bag as requested though.

Thanks
    Aye, that's an option.

I'd personally go for sanitary bins. I think keeping track of bags running out is just an added hassle (albeit a minor one), and If we say sanitary bins are 20, pedal bins with bags 3 + 3.50/50bags, then after 250 pads/tampons have been disposed of, the bins will have earned their money back.

Either would work though
    Code:
    while onCamp == True: 
        if fireHeat < 0.4 then:
             pokeFire()

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Styles View Post
    Aye, that's an option.

I'd personally go for sanitary bins. I think keeping track of bags running out is just an added hassle (albeit a minor one), and If we say sanitary bins are 20, pedal bins with bags 3 + 3.50/50bags, then after 250 pads/tampons have been disposed of, the bins will have earned their money back.

Either would work though
    A sanitary bin will still require liners (and will still require emptying by someone)... probably a much more pleasant job if bags are used?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    A sanitary bin will still require liners (and will still require emptying by someone)... probably a much more pleasant job if bags are used?
    Well, the pedal bins would also require liners.

Possibly a more pleasant job, but I suppose it depends if the person doing the cleaning is bothered, and as you say, not everybody will use the bags so it might not be much more pleasant (I imagine the odour isn't much different).

Personal preference though.
    Code:
    while onCamp == True: 
        if fireHeat < 0.4 then:
             pokeFire()

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Styles View Post
    the reason you might opt for something like Brilliant Bins or PHS is so that people don't have to see the contents when they open the bin to use it, compared to say a pedal bin, though I'm sure there's non-disposable bins you can pick up in high street shops which offer this if you look around.
    I think I can cope with looking at the contents of a bin used for sanitary stuff if I can cope with emptying a chemical toilet full of sewage waste lol

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    I think I can cope with looking at the contents of a bin used for sanitary stuff if I can cope with emptying a chemical toilet full of sewage waste lol
    very true