Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is there an age limit on driving scouts?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard T View Post
    How long is the journey as - in time?

Irrespective of age, it may be worth looking into a minibus, or something else where if required the driving duty's could be shared. the outwards journey may be fine, but will the driver(s) be suitably rested after the event for the return trip, especially if its a journey of more than two and a half hours?

Different people have different levels of stamina/energy and while age can be a factor its not always the case.
    4hrs 45 mins 220miles then same return trip after 3 nights wild camping

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    So are you saying you are happy for this chap to drive other scouts when you are not happy for him to drive your son?
    that is for other parents to decide

Thanks
    I am almost eighty and consider myself a good and capable driver. However,I would not want to drive 220 miles with a bunch of YP in my car or even on my own.

At some stage you have to examine yourself and make decisions about driving. I think that people over 65 should have regular tests to determine their ability to drive safely.

Brian

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Foulkes View Post
    I am almost eighty and consider myself a good and capable driver. However,I would not want to drive 220 miles with a bunch of YP in my car or even on my own.

At some stage you have to examine yourself and make decisions about driving. I think that people over 65 should have regular tests to determine their ability to drive safely.

Brian
    And, perhaps more importantly, to drive the same distance back after 3 days wild camping!

And this is meant not as a comment on your driving abilities or stamina etc, but as a general observation.

It is of course possible that the SL in question is super fit and for him such a proposal would be a piece of cake, but considering that parents have raised concerns, knowing the person in question, I frankly doubt it.
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)