Thread: Another charity bashing article in the Daily Telegraph

Thanks

Another charity bashing article in the Daily Telegraph

Am I the only one to be annoyed by the latest article in the Daily Telegraph bashing the charity sector - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...our-money.html - sure there are some of the 165.000 charities which dont behave very well, but there are thousands which do good work of small amounts of money with no paid staff
    A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room. Baden-Powell

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    The headline seems fair:

The bloated charity sector can't always be trusted with your money
    I would wholeheartedly agree with that statement. It is worth researching before blindly giving any more than a quid in a bucket - and I certainly always refuse the direct debit invitations from "chuggers", preferring to make one off donations, sponsor people etc.

Neil

Thanks
    And I just read the rest of it, and it seems balanced and largely correct. I certainly can't see anything in it worth getting worked up about; the recommendation to seek out the charities that do the best work in the area you want to support rather than blindly supporting a big one is definitely sensible to me, while anything that gets "chuggers" off the streets is most welcome.

Neil

Thanks
    I'm afraid I find little to question in that article which aims pretty squarely at the big organised charities rather than the small local voluntary organisations. A few years back when I was last looking for a job I got an interview at a national charity related to a particular non fatal medical condition. As it was a finance based role I naturally had a look through the accounts and was rather alarmed at how little of the money being donated was actually going on useful charitable activity - they had an advice line and were funding some research but not really doing much else apart from buying and running a very nice bespoke HQ and paying some very nice salaries to the directors which are carefully hidden by allocating them across various "charitable" expenditure headings in the accounts.

Chuggers are indeed the most obvious example of this - the hidden reality here is that not only do your donations via these pests cover their pay, but there is also enough to cover a whole industry in recruiting these people. In the centre of Bristol is almost as hard to avoid the chugger recruiters as it is the chuggers themselves.

Clearly charities need to be properly managed but the whole thing has become an industry far beyond simply raising funds and using them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (16-07-2015)

Thanks
    I don't just object to chuggers because they get in my way (they do, and if I find them blocking my path in places like railway stations I always register a formal complaint about it - nothing is welcome there that gets in the way of passenger flow, the ticket barriers are bad enough at that). I object to them preying on the vulnerable and least able to say no, which is precisely what they do.

I'd almost go so far as to say it should be banned. Bring back volunteers shaking buckets; I'm happy to donate to those, and I also make a more substantial donation each year in lieu of Christmas cards, for which I choose a different one each year. There are just too many good causes for direct debits to be the right way to go in my view.