Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leader recruitment

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I could show you an "off brand" website... but I won't.

Some of you may work out which one I am thinking about.
    i can never work out what you're thinking!

TM
    going...going...still here...just

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 855 Posts
    Looking at this from the other angle (as the hirer of a minibus) we always thought it an advantage to have on the side of the bus the name of a group that wasn't our own. I mean, we don't deliberately go out to ram raid shops etc but you never know...

(I'm joking...)

(No really, I am...)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Looking at this from the other angle (as the hirer of a minibus) we always thought it an advantage to have on the side of the bus the name of a group that wasn't our own. I mean, we don't deliberately go out to ram raid shops etc but you never know...

(I'm joking...)

(No really, I am...)

Most people seem to drive minibuses fairly well when they are full of kids.

I know my driving style when I have bus containing 12 other people's kids is very different to when i'm on my own in the car.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    Most people seem to drive minibuses fairly well when they are full of kids.

I know my driving style when I have bus containing 12 other people's kids is very different to when i'm on my own in the car.
    As is mine - but I still managed to get a speeding ticket whilst driving the group minibus (36 in a 30 caught on camera at the start of the 30 zone at the end of a downhill dual carriageway - not that is any excuse! )
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    As is mine - but I still managed to get a speeding ticket whilst driving the group minibus (36 in a 30 caught on camera at the start of the 30 zone at the end of a downhill dual carriageway - not that is any excuse! )
    Thats easy enough to do. Saltford Hill is our nearest camera that's turned on at the moment I think and from what i've heard triggers at spot on 33mph. Steep hill, fully laden bus, i can see it being easy enough to for people to set it off without driving dangerously.

(Not sure if the one on the A46 Swainswick Bypass is being turned back on, but that one's even more lethal - 50mph limit on a steep downhill dual carriageway)

I'd be lying if i said I never went over speed limits. On the other hand I know the bus is limited to 62mph so its unlikely to be triggering too many cameras on motorways and dual carriageways.

My bigger concern is when myself and others drive the bus empty (or just loaded with kit).

A more likely issue is parking tickets. Some councils make it very hard to find a place you can legally park a minibus!
    Last edited by recneps; 11-09-2015 at 04:54 PM.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    We have long talked about the idea of hiring a mobile climbing tower and setting it up in a square in the centre of Bath with a few other activities and a recruitment stand - but each time we talk about it we come to the conclusion we will get lots more young people sign up and boost our waiting lists rather than our leader figures.
    Our District organised a campaign over one to two weeks in June. There was a tower, crate stacking and other activities, including archery (very short range with rubber ends!) and a boat (no water!) and glider in the market square one Saturday. This was supported by a treasure hunt based on neckers hidden in shop windows across the town, and other such activities. Groups had a flag-pole building competition (although in the end there were only two entries).

Groups were asked to designate meetings as open evenings (all or nearly all did so), and run the sort of activity that adults (and young people, but we weren't trying to recruit those) could come along and get involved in (there was lots of cooking, a fair bit of pioneering, some more treasure hunts and assorted other stuff). District provided people to chat to visitors at these (because the section leaders were busy with the meetings, obviously), and the GSLs pitched in and went to each others' meetings as extra "chat bodies".

Obviously the press officer was busy in advance, and one local paper had an "outsert" (extra pages outside the main paper) highlighting the event.

The final number of adult names taken was about 60. This gave District, again with GSLs pitching in, a fair follow-up job talking to everyone over the subsequent weeks. Offers ranged from occasional help to uniformed leaders to committee roles.
    SL, 11th Hitchin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DKRSL For This Useful Post:

Bloory (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DKRSL View Post
    Our District organised a campaign over one to two weeks in June. There was a tower, crate stacking and other activities, including archery (very short range with rubber ends!) and a boat (no water!) and glider in the market square one Saturday. This was supported by a treasure hunt based on neckers hidden in shop windows across the town, and other such activities. Groups had a flag-pole building competition (although in the end there were only two entries).

Groups were asked to designate meetings as open evenings (all or nearly all did so), and run the sort of activity that adults (and young people, but we weren't trying to recruit those) could come along and get involved in (there was lots of cooking, a fair bit of pioneering, some more treasure hunts and assorted other stuff). District provided people to chat to visitors at these (because the section leaders were busy with the meetings, obviously), and the GSLs pitched in and went to each others' meetings as extra "chat bodies".

Obviously the press officer was busy in advance, and one local paper had an "outsert" (extra pages outside the main paper) highlighting the event.

The final number of adult names taken was about 60. This gave District, again with GSLs pitching in, a fair follow-up job talking to everyone over the subsequent weeks. Offers ranged from occasional help to uniformed leaders to committee roles.
    That sounds great and its good to hear of a District working so well together to aid adult recruitment

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Taking on board some of the advice from here, I took the liberty of starting a facebook page for our group.

The first comment under the first post (I put the post up) is worth reading.

Search for Longniddry Scouts.

Oh the banter...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Paul - Go to the Group page and make THAT Group Closed - then your people can talk subs and such.

Then create a second Group, make it OPEN but make it so that only admins can post. That way you absolutely control what the public sees.

On your closed Group - allow members over 13 to join but ask that their parents join as well. All bar two of our parents are members of the FB Group and we use it for internal comunications and promotions.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (14-09-2015)

Thanks
    I've still got to get the hang of the whole facebook thing, I thought groups and pages were different? That was a page I created, it wasn't intended to be a closed group (I wasn't intending on having a group at all, we still do comms old school style - if I messed with the existing channels of communication -which is to say created other ways of talking that not everyone was on board with - there would be problems, real problems...)

I can lock the comments up though, that would be doable.

Thanks
    If you are public then you need to be able to control postings. As you have already discovered :-)
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,054 Posts
    If you are public then you need to be able to control postings. As you have already discovered :-)
    oh dear!

TM
    going...going...still here...just

Thanks
    A wee bit more complicated than I at first thought. Private group created, public page has comments switched off.

You live and learn.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    A wee bit more complicated than I at first thought. Private group created, public page has comments switched off.

You live and learn.

It is another tool in your armoury, Paul. One you can use to sell the message to outsiders, the other you can use to build your internal support.
    Ewan Scott

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (14-09-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merryweather View Post
    oh dear!

TM
    Do you know, I thought that was you. I've turned off comments, or at least, I think I have.