Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49

Thread: Training Compass Supporters

  1. #16
    Senior Member big chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12,244
    Thanks
    1,871
    Thanked 3,354 Times in 1,448 Posts
    let's see what 2 million quid gets us.

  2. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Worthing, West Sussex
    Posts
    246
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 42 Times in 22 Posts
    I suspect when the report on compass is published we may know more. It may include results of external ux design work and feedback sessions that show why the ux was chosen etc
    Mike Hudgell
    ESL (YL) Worthing - worthingyl.info

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeGH For This Useful Post:

    big chris (06-10-2015)

  4. #18
    ASL Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hwicce
    Posts
    3,746
    Thanks
    372
    Thanked 745 Times in 544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeGH View Post
    I suspect when the report on compass is published we may know more. It may include results of external ux design work and feedback sessions that show why the ux was chosen etc
    Thanks, that gave me a giggle!

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kev For This Useful Post:

    itchen (06-10-2015)

  6. #19
    Senior Member big chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12,244
    Thanks
    1,871
    Thanked 3,354 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeGH View Post
    I suspect when the report on compass is published we may know more. It may include results of external ux design work and feedback sessions that show why the ux was chosen etc
    hahahahahahahahha

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

    Bloory (06-10-2015),DonTregartha (15-10-2015),khoomei (06-10-2015),PeterSheppard (06-10-2015)

  8. #20
    ADC (Support) & DMM mediamanager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,132
    Thanks
    407
    Thanked 328 Times in 200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeGH View Post
    I suspect when the report on compass is published we may know more. It may include results of external ux design work and feedback sessions that show why the ux was chosen etc
    And we'll also discover the meaning of life.
    Mark Pullen
    Bradford South District (ADC (Support) & DMM)
    Trustee - 7th SV Gomersal Scout Group

    Formerly:
    Cub SA - 3rd SV Scholes Scout Group
    Hove Edge Scout Group (GSL, Trustee)
    West Yorkshire Scout County (ACC Cubs, Agent 2:007, County Secretary, County MM, Gang Show Secretary, Gang Show Media)
    Keighley District (ADC Cubs, ADC Beavers, DMM, Trustee)
    8th Keighley Scout Group (ACSL, CSL, GSL, Group Chair)

    All posts made by myself are of a personal nature.

  9. #21
    ESL and DESC ianw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    6,689
    Thanks
    1,558
    Thanked 2,212 Times in 1,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeGH View Post
    I suspect when the report on compass is published we may know more. It may include results of external ux design work and feedback sessions that show why the ux was chosen etc
    I'm guessing more like
    - data problems with the migration
    - reliability/uptime problems
    - security problems

    I suspect it will contain nothing about
    - the mismatch between what the users asked for and what was delivered
    - usability while it was up
    - interface to Atlantic DBS
    - poor reporting
    - all the other bits that were crud that time has erased from my memory.

    Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

    Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

    carpeni (15-10-2015),tonybaulch (06-10-2015)

  11. #22
    ASL Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hwicce
    Posts
    3,746
    Thanks
    372
    Thanked 745 Times in 544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mediamanager View Post
    And we'll also discover the meaning of life.
    54 ??

  12. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    514
    Thanks
    583
    Thanked 332 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khoomei View Post
    It is coming back without the youth management side, because that was a failure, and unnecessary
    They've made it clear that they still want all our youth data in the medium term

  13. #24
    Senior Member big chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12,244
    Thanks
    1,871
    Thanked 3,354 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London Scouter View Post
    They've made it clear that they still want all our youth data in the medium term
    they still have my youth data

    and all the parent data

    well... they have a rather out of date version of it.

  14. #25
    Keith at 2M Keith at 2M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    926
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 178 Times in 99 Posts
    '2. When Compass is re-introduced, it will be in stages (by role). Included in the first stage will be the people who will support Compass users locally in the weeks immediately after roll-out, so they will have a couple of weeks of familiarisation time before the next tranche of roles can start.'

    This worries me. Most of us have day jobs, families etc as well as weekly meetings to run. Compass failed to recognise this the first time around by forgetting (?) that most of us would be accessing the system in the evenings. (Did they ever release actual figures - I would guess that 75%+ of access fell within that period)

    We now just have a 'couple of weeks of familiarisation time'. For most of us who already give up our 'one evening a week' (yes I fell for that one too) this in reality will probably mean one or possibly two evenings at most in those 'couple of weeks'. I suppose if you're IT literate that may be enough but I'm not sure three hours would be enough for me to reach User Support level. and that's assuming that the system doesn't slow down again after 7pm.

    Please could TSA acknowledge that we are volunteers trying to fit Compass around our other existing commitments. I doubt there is anyone just sitting there thinking 'I have three hours to spare this evening, I wish there was a computer programme I could test out'; so we are all going to have to sacrifice time that is currently being spent on something else. Ideally we should have a couple of months familiarisation time - which in reality would probably only be 4 or 5 evenings to master Compass before we can start offering advice/support to others.
    The Roman Empire did not become great by holding meetings. It did so by killing everyone that opposed their point of view.

  15. #26
    ESL and DESC ianw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    6,689
    Thanks
    1,558
    Thanked 2,212 Times in 1,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith at 2M View Post
    Ideally we should have a couple of months familiarisation time - which in reality would probably only be 4 or 5 evenings to master Compass before we can start offering advice/support to others.
    And on a test system with real data, so it doesn't matter if you stuff something up. Basic stuff that. A sandbox to play in. They've had a while to create it. I know when I was using compass, I was wary of pressing the wrong thing and breaking things, and I'm IT literate (or I'd like to think so).

    Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

    Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

  16. #27
    ADC (Support) & DMM mediamanager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,132
    Thanks
    407
    Thanked 328 Times in 200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London Scouter View Post
    They've made it clear that they still want all our youth data in the medium term
    Definition of "medium term" ..... before 2028?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith at 2M View Post
    '2. When Compass is re-introduced, it will be in stages (by role). Included in the first stage will be the people who will support Compass users locally in the weeks immediately after roll-out, so they will have a couple of weeks of familiarisation time before the next tranche of roles can start.'

    This worries me. Most of us have day jobs, families etc as well as weekly meetings to run. Compass failed to recognise this the first time around by forgetting (?) that most of us would be accessing the system in the evenings. (Did they ever release actual figures - I would guess that 75%+ of access fell within that period)

    We now just have a 'couple of weeks of familiarisation time'. For most of us who already give up our 'one evening a week' (yes I fell for that one too) this in reality will probably mean one or possibly two evenings at most in those 'couple of weeks'. I suppose if you're IT literate that may be enough but I'm not sure three hours would be enough for me to reach User Support level. and that's assuming that the system doesn't slow down again after 7pm.

    Please could TSA acknowledge that we are volunteers trying to fit Compass around our other existing commitments. I doubt there is anyone just sitting there thinking 'I have three hours to spare this evening, I wish there was a computer programme I could test out'; so we are all going to have to sacrifice time that is currently being spent on something else. Ideally we should have a couple of months familiarisation time - which in reality would probably only be 4 or 5 evenings to master Compass before we can start offering advice/support to others.
    My thoughts exactly!

    I'm currently testing a non-Scouting website before it's rolled out and we are being given 7 days for each stage to test it ..... I struggle to find even enough time to catch up with Doctor Who!!
    Mark Pullen
    Bradford South District (ADC (Support) & DMM)
    Trustee - 7th SV Gomersal Scout Group

    Formerly:
    Cub SA - 3rd SV Scholes Scout Group
    Hove Edge Scout Group (GSL, Trustee)
    West Yorkshire Scout County (ACC Cubs, Agent 2:007, County Secretary, County MM, Gang Show Secretary, Gang Show Media)
    Keighley District (ADC Cubs, ADC Beavers, DMM, Trustee)
    8th Keighley Scout Group (ACSL, CSL, GSL, Group Chair)

    All posts made by myself are of a personal nature.

  17. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    514
    Thanks
    583
    Thanked 332 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    I'm guessing more like
    - data problems with the migration
    - reliability/uptime problems
    - security problems
    49 minutes into this video the treasurer of TSA gives a summary of the key findings of the report:
    http://livestream.com/accounts/12144...ideos/98972661

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to London Scouter For This Useful Post:

    ianw (06-10-2015)

  19. #29
    Senior Member Bushfella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    15,738
    Thanks
    442
    Thanked 2,986 Times in 1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    let's see what 2 million quid gets us.
    I think you will find it is in excess of £3m by now...
    Ewan Scott

    It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....





    Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers



    www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

    big chris (06-10-2015)

  21. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    514
    Thanks
    583
    Thanked 332 Times in 150 Posts
    £2.5m of direct costs by the end of the financial year was what was said at the AGM

Similar Threads

  1. [Answered] Training Compass Supporters
    By carpeni in forum UK Chief Commissioner Questions (CLOSED)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-10-2015, 07:11 AM
  2. Compass Training
    By 1stmacscouter in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-12-2014, 07:17 PM
  3. Compass Training Site
    By richardsonl86 in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2014, 10:29 AM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-11-2014, 05:14 PM
  5. Map & Compass Training Resource
    By JohnH in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 10:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •