Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Training Compass Supporters

Thanks

Training Compass Supporters

1. Compass, when restored, will look virtually identical to the system that people last saw in January 2015. All users will have access to a 'quick startguide' and a 'video' giving a reminder of the system, but otherwise it remains quite intuitive to use.
    Dear Wayne, I really do hope you consider how glib this response is! For someone who has been working with that system day in day out the system WILL seem quite intuitive. However the average 'Leader on the Street' has no idea how it works or what to do. You should really understand that these 'quick startguides' make little sense to those who do not know how the system works. There is no substitute for the old addage of (adapted a bit)
    Tell Me how it works
    Show me how it works
    Let me/Watch me using it

If you adopt that approach with your current team of 'champions' then you will stand a far better chance of those who 'need' or 'have' to use it actually using it as it should as they will not end up hitting a brick wall that isn't answered by the quick guide or video.

Please think again and work at providing some serious training that can be filtered down in a similar manner rather than giving up with the online help guide and ticking a box.

Thank you.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mallah For This Useful Post:

Brian Foulkes (06-10-2015)

Thanks
    The problem is that the training would say what it is supposed to do instead of helping you with what it actually does. How many bodges and work-arounds did we see in the brief period that Compass was occasionally available?

Thanks
    To be honest, you can go to a lot of trouble organising training courses, only to find that nobody turns up.

Most people will work it out, or find someone to ask locally.

I know this does not sound like a very 'professional' approach, but it is the reality. I think it is more important to get the show on the road sooner rather than wait even longer. We have to accept that it will have a poor UI and some unintuitive processes for the foreseeable future.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to khoomei For This Useful Post:

Kastor (06-10-2015)

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    The problem is that the training would say what it is supposed to do instead of helping you with what it actually does. How many bodges and work-arounds did we see in the brief period that Compass was occasionally available?
    Or that it will do what it was designed to do, rather than what the user needs to do.....

Thanks
    Far better to have a pretty intuitive product that people can (with a reasonable degree of sense) work out how to do what they want to do combined with little or no training, than a comprehensive training programme for a system that doesn't work in any logical sense.

Whether the powers that be at HQ think getting it to be a genuinely helpful and user friendly package is their decision and potentially their funeral - make it work well from a user perspective and they will get useful data from it - accept a bodge and try to force people to use it and it will constantly be out of date (because people will ignore it between kicks from on high) and be of no use in trying to understand where improvements are needed on the ground.

To be fair there is a need for a fairly rapid (and therefore maybe compromised) return of the adult system which relatively few people will use regularly (so they can be helped over the problems) - the youth system that far more front line leaders should be using week by week (if TSA is going to understand what is going on around the country from Compass) can be delayed until its properly working which hopefully it will be.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

DonTregartha (06-10-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,604 Posts
    I think that what TSA fails to understand, and something that most IT litterate people fail to understand is the simple fact that IT is a black hole to many.

I am working on a little project just now and 75 per cent of correspondents cannot download a form, complete it in works or word and send it back as an attachment.

I have company directors who cannot properly use e-mail... I am not exaggerating.

So, if you propose having almost every adult in the Association expected to acess and update Compass, that is going to be an uphill struggle.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

mang21 (06-10-2015),Matt Donnelly (07-10-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,332 Times in 1,434 Posts
    it should not require training.

i do not look for training when i use any new system. It works.

if it doesn't, i find a new one.

Help guides are good but any user logging into compass should be able to crack straight on.

if i need ot be trained in a scout hall for hours just to manage some adults, they have failed. again.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

BalooNav (06-10-2015),BigBadBaloo (06-10-2015),DonTregartha (06-10-2015),itchen (06-10-2015),London Scouter (06-10-2015),nevynxxx (06-10-2015),ntahall (07-10-2015),PaulArthurs (06-10-2015),tonybaulch (06-10-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post

Help guides are good but any user logging into compass should be able to crack straight on.

if i need ot be trained in a scout hall for hours just to manage some adults, they have failed. again.
    What is 'the new one'? There is only one Compass!
    But you fail to understand that there are many who can't just crack on.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    the lack of an alternative is why it would be pretty awful for us to be given the same thing again.

Thanks
    I can live with them putting Compass back online so long as there is a clear acceptance that the product needs rapid improvement and development. Alarm bells are sounding.

Thanks

They have failed. What do we do now?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by khoomei View Post
    They have failed. What do we do now?
    if we are getting compass back with the same interface, then they don't know they've failed.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

DonTregartha (06-10-2015),London Scouter (06-10-2015),nevynxxx (06-10-2015),PaulArthurs (06-10-2015)

Thanks
    if we are getting compass back with the same interface, then they don't know they've failed.
    I think they do.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by khoomei View Post
    I think they do.
    compass went offline for security reasons.

compass is coming back with the security fixed but the interface the same.

the only good part? i will remember to grease up before i bend over this time.

BOHICA

Thanks
    compass went offline for security reasons.

compass is coming back with the security fixed but the interface the same.

the only good part? i will remember to grease up before i bend over this time.

BOHICA
    It is coming back without the youth management side, because that was a failure, and unnecessary. The adult management side might be rubbish, but it is better than what we have now (fingers crossed).