Thread: Re: Getting IT Right and child protection

Thanks

Re: Getting IT Right and child protection

Thinking back to the days of scoutbase when things were somewhat more basic, but seemed more robust, I wonder whether there is scope to have a National SASU dedicated to reviewing association web content and getting it fixed?

There are plenty (well I would, perhaps) of people with the willingness to do such useful work, and more than a fair few with the skills to actually do updates given the access. I'm fairly confident HQ don't have the resource to keep everything up-to-date or review content and layout from a users perspective - even before Compass consumed so many man hours - because it never has been in a robust and healthy state.
    Scout Active Support Member & Webmaster
    Deep Sea Scouts National SASU

Membership Data & Engagement Support Manager
    Merseyside County Scouts

Webmaster
    St. Helens Scout District - 1st Whiston Scout Group - 1st Kirkby Scout Group

Tawd Vale Active Support Unit
    Tawd Vale Scout Camp

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Donnelly View Post
    Thinking back to the days of scoutbase when things were somewhat more basic, but seemed more robust, I wonder whether there is scope to have a National SASU dedicated to reviewing association web content and getting it fixed?

There are plenty (well I would, perhaps) of people with the willingness to do such useful work, and more than a fair few with the skills to actually do updates given the access. I'm fairly confident HQ don't have the resource to keep everything up-to-date or review content and layout from a users perspective - even before Compass consumed so many man hours - because it never has been in a robust and healthy state.
    A great idea; however would you have
    1)Wikipedia-style - where content is put straight online without anyone 'approving' the edited content - arguably much quicker but prone to more mistakes

or

2) Where the content has to be approved before it is posted - arguably much slower but more accurate

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownbeaver1991 View Post
    1)Wikipedia-style - where content is put straight online without anyone 'approving' the edited content - arguably much quicker but prone to more mistakes

or

2) Where the content has to be approved before it is posted - arguably much slower but more accurate
    If the latter is so slow in being updated that its out of date, it becomes inaccurate and at that point what's the difference?

Thanks
    I'd argue that rather depends on the scope of the work. There will be many things, which are quite minor which can be flagged, a fix proposed and implemented without high-level approval. Other changes would be more significant and might spark small improvement projects.

I'm fairly convinced that with the correct setup and the right authority and responsibility, we could see effective incremental improvements that would make a difference to the average scouts.org.uk visiting volunteer.
    Scout Active Support Member & Webmaster
    Deep Sea Scouts National SASU

Membership Data & Engagement Support Manager
    Merseyside County Scouts

Webmaster
    St. Helens Scout District - 1st Whiston Scout Group - 1st Kirkby Scout Group

Tawd Vale Active Support Unit
    Tawd Vale Scout Camp

Thanks

or

We trust our adults with Children - nothing is as serious as that. So arguably a mix of the two.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 810 Posts

or

Wikipedia style every time, after all Wikipedia has protected pages and levels of trust that editors can earn etc.

If TSA was using a simpler easy to use CMS and did not have so many random links within pages (rather than linking to a page where you can track all the pages linking to that page and update the links if needed), short urls and documents such as PDFs it would make life easier.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

Matt Donnelly (03-01-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Donnelly View Post
    SBUK probably seemed like that because the team invested a lot of themselves in the site. Slow and steady for sure, one step at a time with no wish to disappear into a Kinder-style technical IT bog. Imagine if you can the hilarity of the rest of the team at an elderly member's expressed wish to have his comfort blanket with him wherever he was on the site. The team had carefully selected editors with special skills who had responsibility for the main sections, and they did an excellent job in controlling what went into their particularl area. Perhaps that's a scenario that might work if such a SASU was created?

Chris A.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisA For This Useful Post:

Matt Donnelly (03-01-2016)