This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

TSA Announces the Next UK Chief Commissioner

In a email received today:

Dear Colleagues,

Announcing our next UK Chief Commissioner

As Chair of The Scout Association, and Chair of the UKCC Appointing Panel, I’m pleased to announce that Tim Kidd, currently Deputy UK Chief Commissioner, has been selected to become the Movement’s new UK Chief Commissioner from September 2016.

Thorough recruitment process
    After a robust and thorough recruitment process, which included taking advice and insight from a panel of adult and youth members, Tim was selected from a strong field of candidates.

I’d like to personally thank all of the candidates who put themselves forward for this position and for their continued commitment and dedication to our Movement.

Start in September
    In September, Tim will take over from Wayne Bulpitt, who will have been our UK Chief Commissioner for seven years when he hands the baton over. We will be making time to thank Wayne before he leaves.

Tim said: “I am incredibly excited to take up this role and will do my very best to ensure that together we continue to grow Scouting and provide astonishing adventures for young people across the United Kingdom – building on Wayne’s hard work of the past seven years”

Wayne Bulpitt, our current UK Chief Commissioner, said: “I’d like to congratulate Tim on being selected. I’ve had the privilege of serving our Movement as UK Chief Commissioner for seven years and having worked with Tim for a long time, I know he’ll do a brilliant job and do us all proud.”

More about Tim
    Tim first joined Scouting as a Cub and went on to take various Leader roles including Scout Leader, District Commissioner and County Commissioner. Tim currently shares the responsibility for leading on specific initiatives with the UK Chief Commissioner.

In his professional life Tim works for a charity called Jisc where he is Executive Director of Jisc Technologies. He leads the team that provides the internet and services to the academic and research community. He also champions the use of digital technology in education and research.

Best wishes

Ann Limb
    Chair of the UKCC Appointing Panel
    Chair of the Board of Trustees
    The Scout Association

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

ntahall (14-01-2016)

Thanks
    Congratulations to Tim, and a huge thank you to Wayne for all his hard work in the role over the years, it has truly been appreciated by many.

Tim has a tough act to follow!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

ntahall (14-01-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Indeed... Wayne is leaving some very big shoes to step into.

Hopefully Tim will continue Wayne's incredibly good relationship with Escouts, in particular the "ask the UKCC" forum.
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to recneps For This Useful Post:

DonTregartha (13-01-2016),Neil Williams (13-01-2016),PaulArthurs (13-01-2016)

Thanks
    Congratulations to Tim - I'm sure he'll do a great job though he has big shoes to fill!
    Chris Hawes, CSL (Akela) and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group (on sabbatical); District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Thanks
    Wayne has had some pretty big issues to contend with!

I'm positive that Tim will bring some fresh energy to the movement and, whilst grateful to Wayne for his service in the role, feel very positive about the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ASLChris View Post
    Congratulations to Tim - I'm sure he'll do a great job though he has big shoes to fill!
    Don't worry .... those bright socks will manage the task at hand!
    Mark Pullen
    Cub Sectional Assistant - 3rd SV Scholes Scout Group
    Trustee - 7th SV Gomersal Scout Group

Formerly:
    Hove Edge Scout Group (GSL, Trustee)
    West Yorkshire Scout County (ACC Cubs, Agent 2:007, County Secretary, County Media Manager, Gang Show Secretary, Gang Show Media)
    Keighley District (ADC Cubs, ADC Beavers, Media Manager, Trustee)
    8th Keighley Scout Group (ACSL, CSL, GSL, Group Chairman)

All posts made by myself are of a personal nature.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mediamanager For This Useful Post:

richardnhunt (13-01-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,136 Posts
    http://magazine.scouts.org.uk/features/handling-money

"Tim Kidd, Chief Commissioner of England, says: Compass is the new official membership system for all young people and adults who are members of The Scout Association. It’s a powerful tool for managing all Scouting administration and an online payment function is one of the planned updates to Compass shortly after launch. For example, you will be able to ask young people or their parents to sign up to a camp and pay for it via Compass. There will be no need for cash or cheques to exchange hands. Watch out for more information later this year."

this was the kind of thing that i believed.

i'd like to see the promised report to know who misled and who was misled.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (13-01-2016),BigBadBaloo (13-01-2016),itchen (13-01-2016),khoomei (13-01-2016),London Scouter (13-01-2016),ntahall (14-01-2016),roger-uk (13-01-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 886 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    Indeed... Wayne is leaving some very big shoes to step into.

Hopefully Tim will continue Wayne's incredibly good relationship with Escouts, in particular the "ask the UKCC" forum.
    Well, he's already a member, but he might have forgotten his password as he's only posted 7 times, and that was 3 years ago.

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2016 - May 2017
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    I believe that Wayne has truly worked hard for the Association, and has been a 'new broom'. I am sorry that not all of his plans have worked out well. I wish Tim every success, there is still a huge job to do, and I don't envy him.
    Last edited by khoomei; 13-01-2016 at 07:09 PM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to khoomei For This Useful Post:

itchen (13-01-2016),Neil Williams (13-01-2016),richardnhunt (13-01-2016),Tony Ransley (13-01-2016)

Thanks
    Thanks to Wayne and all the luck in the world Tim and I look forward to what you do as UKCC moving forward, rather than give you a complex looking backwards whilst mentioning large footwear
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (my bushcrafty blog)
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by khoomei View Post
    I believe that Wayne has truly worked hard for the Association, and has been a 'new broom'. I am sorry that not all of his plans have worked out well. I wish Tim every success, there is still a huge job to do, and I don't envy him.
    I think that's a brilliant summary
    Rich

Thanks
    I am sure Wayne has done a good job in some regards and has probably had a lot of very difficult issues to deal with some of which we can only imagine. But for a lot of people and particularly at Grass roots level things are not great, you only have to look at some of the posts on here to see that. Maybe its a case of the longer you are hear the more you see, but I cant really say delivering a good quality programme has got any easier on Wayne's watch.

1, Compass, say no more
    2, The permit system is a shambles, only last night was I with guys who submitted paperwork last March and still only have it partly progressed.
    3, Quality initiative is a joke. It can never be fair that some YP can experience really good scouting but just a few miles down the road the YP get something dreadful.
    4, We have some fab leaders, but we also have some who can barely run their own lives, and damage the reputation of scouting. Appointments panels should be more robust in their selection.
    5, Training does not equip people with the skills they really need.
    6, Leaders still paying for their own training?
    7, There is too much old mates network, that influences key management decisions.
    8, Execs need to be audited to check they are doing what they should.

I know some will say so whats the answer and some I would have a good go at, others I have got to say that I am not sure.
    Paul Austin
    Kent Scouts SASU Water team
    G0AXQ, intrests in Scouting, Cycling, Hiking, anything on the water. seeing the young people achive.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rover For This Useful Post:

Amax (27-01-2017),scoutgamer (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Perhaps he can fix the comms so that everyone gets these emails. I seem to have fallen into a Scout Assoc black hole since September when the last email arrived.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I am sure Wayne has done a good job in some regards and has probably had a lot of very difficult issues to deal with some of which we can only imagine. But for a lot of people and particularly at Grass roots level things are not great, you only have to look at some of the posts on here to see that. Maybe its a case of the longer you are hear the more you see, but I cant really say delivering a good quality programme has got any easier on Wayne's watch.

1, Compass, say no more We all know about that failure!
    2, The permit system is a shambles, only last night was I with guys who submitted paperwork last March and still only have it partly progressed.
    3, Quality initiative is a joke. It can never be fair that some YP can experience really good scouting but just a few miles down the road the YP get something dreadful. Volunteers can only be managed so far, and without professionalism there is always going to be different quality levels.
    4, We have some fab leaders, but we also have some who can barely run their own lives, and damage the reputation of scouting. Appointments panels should be more robust in their selection. Local problem, but also depends on number of volunteers...
    5, Training does not equip people with the skills they really need. Training system needs a complete overhaul
    6, Leaders still paying for their own training? Local issue - certainly shouldn't happen!
    7, There is too much old mates network, that influences key management decisions. Yes, but when responsibilities are delegated this is a local issue that HQ can have little impact on
    8, Execs need to be audited to check they are doing what they should. Not sure what you mean by this?

I know some will say so whats the answer and some I would have a good go at, others I have got to say that I am not sure.
    Responses in bold.
    Chris Hawes, CSL (Akela) and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group (on sabbatical); District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post

1, Compass, say no more
    3, Quality initiative is a joke. It can never be fair that some YP can experience really good scouting but just a few miles down the road the YP get something dreadful.
    4, We have some fab leaders, but we also have some who can barely run their own lives, and damage the reputation of scouting. Appointments panels should be more robust in their selection.
    5, Training does not equip people with the skills they really need.
    6, Leaders still paying for their own training?
    7, There is too much old mates network, that influences key management decisions.
    8, Execs need to be audited to check they are doing what they should.

I think you are confusing the National Commissioner with the District Commissioner in many cases there Paul. Nationally the movement has a far more rational position on many issues now than before Wayne took the job which is greatly to his credit, if you want to see how pear shaped things could have gone look across the pond.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by khoomei View Post
    Slightly puzzled by the Wayne fan club. Only because round here no one has heard of him (proven when he cam to a county conference and the questions were "who" and "chief what"). The big issues around training (difficult and not completed), lack of leaders, disciplinary process (accusatory, far too slow, with no support for the suspended) have remained the same as long as I can remember. The best scouting is delivered locally with minimum intervention. And as for Compass ("Say no more" says an earlier poster) - expectations set too high, totally inadequately tested, and too slow and unintuitive to use, well if the CC takes no responsibility then I struggle to see for what he should take responsibility.

So - he may be as good as claimed but it's hard to see the evidence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Ransley View Post
    I think you are confusing the National Commissioner with the District Commissioner in many cases there Paul. Nationally the movement has a far more rational position on many issues now than before Wayne took the job which is greatly to his credit, if you want to see how pear shaped things could have gone look across the pond.
    Umm - really? If your organisation fails to deliver in the way you have delegated responsibility then is that the fault of the people to whom you delegated? If Tesco does disastrously doest the chief exec get away with it if he simply says "Not my fault guv, only the shop managers, they are awful aren't they ?".
    Last edited by RisingStar; 16-01-2016 at 12:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast