Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Young Person Information Forms

ADC (Support) & DMM mediamanager's Avatar
    Thanks
    We just use their email address to add them to the FB group - they can easily "unfollow"....never even looked at the social media info!
    Mark Pullen
    Bradford South District (ADC (Support) & DMM)
    Trustee - 7th SV Gomersal Scout Group

Formerly:
    Cub SA - 3rd SV Scholes Scout Group
    Hove Edge Scout Group (GSL, Trustee)
    West Yorkshire Scout County (ACC Cubs, Agent 2:007, County Secretary, County MM, Gang Show Secretary, Gang Show Media)
    Keighley District (ADC Cubs, ADC Beavers, DMM, Trustee)
    8th Keighley Scout Group (ACSL, CSL, GSL, Group Chair)

All posts made by myself are of a personal nature.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    He's the guy at the top of the tree. Let's face it, when pressed, he really cannot be seen to go against POR, or recommend going against POR. In specific cases like the YPIF form, he might know it happens, he might turn a blind eye to it happening, you may even be able to read between the lines and interpret that he might be ok with it happening, but when pressed, he has to go by the book.

And yes, it is shambolic.
    To be fair he has told us exactly what to do - log the concern at the info centre - so it is what we should do.

I have, let's all do it

Rich

3. The Following User Says Thank You to richardnhunt For This Useful Post:

khoomei (02-02-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richardnhunt View Post
    To be fair he has told us exactly what to do - log the concern at the info centre - so it is what we should do.

I have, let's all do it

Rich
    Yes we must. I'll submit a mail too.
    In between roles/helping out where I can......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 810 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London Scouter View Post
    I am trying to be realistic because I understand the Compass debacle has taken up a hell of a lot of national staff and volunteer time this past year so I don't expect miracles, but I have very little confidence that the problems with the YPIF are even understood or acknowledged by the powers that be.
    It only took me an afternoon to create my version of the form it shouldn't take one staff member more than a day to sort a decent form out if they were competent. However it seems HQ have no one competent at producing forms given we seem to be on about version 4 of the Adult Information form and version 3 of the ID checking form as they don;t seem to be able to work out what info they actually need to collect and what wording they should use.

Even after 4 versions the Adult Info Form is still crap as it has to be used for changes of role but it has no space to inform anyone what role you currently have and whether you are applying for an additional role or a change of role. It does not make clear if you do not need to fill in the references section (for example those applying for a change of role or additional role and Exec members) etc etc.
    Last edited by shiftypete; 02-02-2016 at 09:04 PM. Reason: corrections

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Cub Section Leader
    Thanks
    I actually forgot about the AIF!! Blimmin heck that's just as awful isn't it? Should probably be split into OH/Regular Leader again so you avoid confusion over references and the like...

Have just emailed the info centre. Hopefully their response will be constructive and hopefully we can get something better out of this. I linked Pete's form and suggested they use it as a template. In the meantime I really wish I could just start using it now, but I've outed myself as a linetoer now.

Will also echo the suggestion that anyone else who shares similar concerns should be emailing in too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,019 Times in 1,276 Posts
    I don't see a massive problem with the AIF, it's basically the old AA form switched around a bit.

Thanks
    I understand the desire to have a single form for adults but I think it's confusing for people becoming an OH that it contains a lot of irrelevant stuff including trustee declarations that could put people off.

The old OH form was comparatively simple.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to London Scouter For This Useful Post:

Ian Mallett (03-02-2016),shiftypete (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 810 Posts
    Yes but it did not just replace the old AA form it replaced the CR form as well but is not fit for purpose for that and now Exec Members need to fill it in then it needs an explanation that references are not required for them.

I had to help some of our Group Exec fill them in and I ended up having to explain to each of them which bits they had to fill in and which bits they did not and the difference between members and associate members.
    Last edited by shiftypete; 02-02-2016 at 09:55 PM.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

London Scouter (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kendall View Post
    I think the idea is that we don't accept the form without signature(s) and if the parent(s) won't sign then their child cannot join. Data should not be entered in Compass without receipt of a signed form.

Not sure legally how a challenge would stand from a parent who said they did not sign
    I have come late to this post but if we are to destroy the form after entry into Compass (that is, of course, ready to take YP info), how do we prove that a parent has signed and agreed to all the conditions/communication preferences?

I have recently been working with PDFs and having them filled in Acrobat Reader/Pro; it is relatively easy to do with the full Adobe Acrobat. They can then be distributed by the publisher and then once completed the information is returned to the publisher; who can store it under DP compliant conditions, be that Compass, OSM or other database.

I agree that the YPIF in its current form is a waste of time and paper and any simplification of it would be a great benefit to all.
    1st Horam (Kamba) Cub Pack

Thanks
    My niggle is, parent refuses to sign form as doesn't want you to keep data. Do I throw his child out of Cubs who has been a member since Comparse went belly up?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Akela_Kamba View Post
    I have come late to this post but if we are to destroy the form after entry into Compass (that is, of course, ready to take YP info), how do we prove that a parent has signed and agreed to all the conditions/communication preferences?

I have recently been working with PDFs and having them filled in Acrobat Reader/Pro; it is relatively easy to do with the full Adobe Acrobat. They can then be distributed by the publisher and then once completed the information is returned to the publisher; who can store it under DP compliant conditions, be that Compass, OSM or other database.

I agree that the YPIF in its current form is a waste of time and paper and any simplification of it would be a great benefit to all.
    Indeed, points I made here: https://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/thr...ion?highlight=

No, I didn't ask the Information Centre because conversations of this nature with them usually go around in circles and with no tracking/ticketing system it's chaos.
    Nico Hall
    Group Scout Leader
    76th Sheffield (St Peter's Ellesmere) Scout Group

Thanks

Young Person Information Forms

Quote Originally Posted by Cottsyboy View Post
    My niggle is, parent refuses to sign form as doesn't want you to keep data. Do I throw his child out of Cubs who has been a member since Comparse went belly up?
    How on earth will you provide safe Scouting without basic personal information? Yes, I would say to them that they have to sign or the YP will have to leave.

It's 2016, not 1966.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

BeardySi (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    As for the IC, yes, they direly need a ticketing system. My employer would be happy to provide them one at an appropriate fee