Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23

Thread: Group Administrators

  1. #16
    Group Scout Leader
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,095
    Thanks
    691
    Thanked 429 Times in 229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSheppard View Post
    There is a role of GSL (Acting), DC (Acting) etc, and those roles have appropriate permissions for their capacity. They cannot, however, be selected as the line manager on another person's record.
    Great! So, as for example the GSL(Acting) is the Line Manager of Leaders within the Group then there needs to be the ability within Compass to assign them as Line Manager.

    Simples


    Paul

  2. #17
    No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales (but Scouting elsewhere!)
    Posts
    4,228
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked 283 Times in 193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulArthurs View Post
    Great! So, as for example the GSL(Acting) is the Line Manager of Leaders within the Group then there needs to be the ability within Compass to assign them as Line Manager.
    Possibly. But setting the line manager doesn't do anything anyway, other than display on a few reports.
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

    "Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

  3. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,052
    Thanks
    2,687
    Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Why do you have to *set* the line manager? Why is it not automatically set on role in the structure?

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

    PaulArthurs (09-02-2016),shiftypete (09-02-2016)

  5. #19
    Senior Member David Kendall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Little Sutton, Ellesmere Port
    Posts
    2,219
    Thanks
    491
    Thanked 329 Times in 190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSheppard View Post
    There is a role of GSL (Acting), DC (Acting) etc, and those roles have appropriate permissions for their capacity. They cannot, however, be selected as the line manager on another person's record.
    Ah - I stand semi corrected.

    But if someone has a role of Acting GSL, but can't be the line manager of other leaders, can they still see and manage their records in Compass as true GSL role would ?
    In between roles/helping out where I can......

  6. #20
    Group Scout Leader
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,095
    Thanks
    691
    Thanked 429 Times in 229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    Why do you have to *set* the line manager? Why is it not automatically set on role in the structure?
    Good point. In fact by entering a name it is distorting the position if either person changes role.

    If Line Manager is needed in any reports etc, then the system should be able to define the Line Manager by referene to a table of roles rather than looking to see if a named individual has been added as the Line Manager.


    Paul

  7. #21
    No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales (but Scouting elsewhere!)
    Posts
    4,228
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked 283 Times in 193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulArthurs View Post
    Good point. In fact by entering a name it is distorting the position if either person changes role.

    If Line Manager is needed in any reports etc, then the system should be able to define the Line Manager by referene to a table of roles rather than looking to see if a named individual has been added as the Line Manager.
    It's completely awful from a data structure/normalisation perspective, and seems to have been very much a late workaround - it wasn't there in any of the beta releases. In HR systems the line management chain is usually stored as links between POSTS, not PEOPLE.

    Yes there needs to be some way to customise it because in some cases the line manager is a Deputy DC/CC etc.
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

    "Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterSheppard For This Useful Post:

    PaulArthurs (09-02-2016),shiftypete (09-02-2016)

  9. #22
    Senior Member Matt Donnelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Merseyside
    Posts
    1,076
    Thanks
    705
    Thanked 263 Times in 139 Posts
    I seem to recall it was possible during the original release of compass to set a free-text field role name in addition to the drop-down box. Is this still possible? If so, putting Acting Group Scout Leader in that free text box but selecting GSL in the drop-down would do the job!
    Scout Active Support Member & Webmaster
    Deep Sea Scouts National SASU


    Membership Data & Engagement Support Manager
    Merseyside County Scouts


    Webmaster
    St. Helens Scout District - 1st Whiston Scout Group - 1st Kirkby Scout Group


    Tawd Vale Active Support Unit
    Tawd Vale Scout Camp

  10. #23
    No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales (but Scouting elsewhere!)
    Posts
    4,228
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked 283 Times in 193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Donnelly View Post
    I seem to recall it was possible during the original release of compass to set a free-text field role name in addition to the drop-down box. Is this still possible? If so, putting Acting Group Scout Leader in that free text box but selecting GSL in the drop-down would do the job!
    No, only HQ can edit Visible Role Title. But it's a moot point as Group Scout Leader (Acting) IS a role on Compass.
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

    "Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Similar Threads

  1. [Answered] Compass for Administrators
    By recneps in forum UK Chief Commissioner Questions (CLOSED)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2016, 01:18 PM
  2. Is it possible to change from a Sponsored Group to an Open Group?
    By swinka in forum Related Discussion UK Chief Commissioner Questions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-06-2013, 12:03 PM
  3. non-scouting group pretending to be a scout group
    By fredblogs in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 20-09-2010, 05:36 PM
  4. My Backpack Administrators
    By fmountford in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 10:39 AM
  5. Group Administrators
    By Raksha in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-05-2009, 02:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •