Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Online Scout Manager - Paper to sell to Exec Committee

Thanks

Online Scout Manager - Paper to sell to Exec Committee

Now, Im aware of the huge irony here of what I'm about to say, for those with long memories, and my actions on Escouts regarding identifying OSM as Commerical, and banning the integral use of Escouts for its support and promotion, but hey ho......

My Group has been using OSM for a number of years, the Leaders really see the huge time saving benefit from it, and the Leaders are really taking it on board, I want to use it for payments etc for the whole group, and to save a lot of volunteers, and parents time!

Has anyone got a paper that they have submitted to their Group executive, they would be willing to share, or email me - [email protected] that I can adapt, specifically surrounding using the payments system.

Thanks very much

Thanks
    Would be very interested in this too
    'Simba'

BSL/ADC Beavers.

All opinions stated are my own.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,353 Times in 1,447 Posts
    I jfdi.

In a sentence? Parents pay instantly for subs or are auto-chased and pay; events payments are brilliantly managed and the whole process, although pricey, is a revelation compared to every other system that I have tried including cheques, bacs, PayPal and btmydonate.

Thanks
    I did some numbers on how many/few were paying by standing order and how many were not paying and calculated how much better off we would be getting everyone to pay online. Almost all do now and yes it costs but it saves us all so much time and hassle
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Thanks
    Thanked 3,353 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Oh. And our treasurer would quit immediately if I suggested standimg orders.

Thanks
    The thing with standing orders is some use the reference, some don't, some banks don't pass them on. They don't all arrive at the same time. We struggled to sign up kids to the scheme and notice who was in and out and who was due to pay.

In OSM, which isn't perfect but it is working, workable and developing, I make sure the children are in the right schedule and that's about it. We now have one monthly deposit from GoCardless so reconciliation is quick and easy.

It'd be hard to recruit a treasurer with time to manage all those payments.
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Thanks
    The other thing with standing orders is when you increase subs but some people don't change their standing order and so are still paying at the old rate and have to be chased for a few quid.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Now, Im aware of the huge irony here of what I'm about to say, for those with long memories, and my actions on Escouts regarding identifying OSM as Commerical, and banning the integral use of Escouts for its support and promotion, but hey ho......

My Group has been using OSM for a number of years, the Leaders really see the huge time saving benefit from it, and the Leaders are really taking it on board, I want to use it for payments etc for the whole group, and to save a lot of volunteers, and parents time!

Has anyone got a paper that they have submitted to their Group executive, they would be willing to share, or email me - [email protected] that I can adapt, specifically surrounding using the payments system.

Thanks very much
    Why do you need to submit a paper to your exec on it? That sounds like unnecessary bureaucracy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    I jfdi.

In a sentence? Parents pay instantly for subs or are auto-chased and pay; events payments are brilliantly managed and the whole process, although pricey, is a revelation compared to every other system that I have tried including cheques, bacs, PayPal and btmydonate.
    The only thing that makes me baulk is the cost.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    I think you've answered your own question there Chris.... Exec balks at the cost, and needs something they can read and inwardly digest that puts the benefits to ease their pain.....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nevynxxx For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ASLChris View Post
    Why? Our exec and leaders consider it excellent value for money. To us it is just one of the costs of running a large scout group, in the same way as, for example, postage and stationery, telephone costs, etc.
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloory View Post
    The thing with standing orders is some use the reference, some don't, some banks don't pass them on.
    All banks pass them on if they are set up properly. I'm guessing some banks are not setting them up properly.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you need to submit a paper to your exec on it? That sounds like unnecessary bureaucracy.
    To justify the cost, presumably. Submitting a paper seems a good way of having them consider the issues in their own time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    The other thing with standing orders is when you increase subs but some people don't change their standing order and so are still paying at the old rate and have to be chased for a few quid.
    Or you think about it differently - if you increase, you increase for new members only. It does require a bit of planning to work like that, of course, but it's not unworkable. We haven't increased in years (partly because of the faff with standing orders and partly because we are doing reasonably well financially as a Group) but if we did this is what I would suggest. Indeed, that would, if planned properly, give a smooth increase in income alongside what is usually a relatively smooth increase in inflationary costs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    I think you've answered your own question there Chris.... Exec balks at the cost, and needs something they can read and inwardly digest that puts the benefits to ease their pain.....
    I think it needs discussion, not a paper! I write papers at work when I want to change something or to document a decision; I don't want to do it at Scouts as well!
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.

Social media

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    I think it needs discussion, not a paper! I write papers at work when I want to change something or to document a decision; I don't want to do it at Scouts as well!
    LOL, I don't think anyone ever *wants* to. But sometimes you have to for the same reasons you do at work....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nevynxxx For This Useful Post:

scarlet pimp (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    Why? Our exec and leaders consider it excellent value for money. To us it is just one of the costs of running a large scout group, in the same way as, for example, postage and stationery, telephone costs, etc.
    3% is quite a lot. We're a small enough group that we can manage with cash/cheques which are free (our Treasurer is also not very computer literate).

Social media

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    Or you think about it differently - if you increase, you increase for new members only. It does require a bit of planning to work like that, of course, but it's not unworkable. We haven't increased in years (partly because of the faff with standing orders and partly because we are doing reasonably well financially as a Group) but if we did this is what I would suggest. Indeed, that would, if planned properly, give a smooth increase in income alongside what is usually a relatively smooth increase in inflationary costs.
    I would expect the parents to riot when they found out they were paying subs at different rates according to what date YP joined!