Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Scout Group - Membership fees

ADC (Support) & DMM mediamanager's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    That's all true but doesn't really help the the original asker of the question to Wayne, who is in a situation, and needs to get out of it.
    I think it's inappropriate to think that the UKCC is going to resolve a local issue created by the existing process of the UKSA.

If the problem still exists then why haven't the district or county offered the relevant support?

Apologies but whilst the process could do with reviewing it seems wrong for the OP to expect Wayne to wave a wand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    Fair enough - I think the point still is though that unless we can fill most of the gaps in the support structure it might be better to have a less challenging system.
    Not sure if this is about "gaps" but more about engaging brain before jumping in with both feet.
    To create a new section within a group is one thing - to create a new group is another bag of challenges totally.

Understand the position....but no sympathy that it wasn't handled with adequate forethought.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BREWBOY View Post
    Not sure if thats true,its down to persiverance and hard work,I started without a bean in January no help from our group or District,so far i have managed to get
    funds just short of 1300,and purchased equipment for our first camp,lots of letters,form filling,networking and sheer ****** mindedness to get the job done.
    New section within the group requiring sheer "****** mindedness" scares me!!
    Mark Pullen
    Bradford South District (ADC (Support) & DMM)
    Trustee - 7th SV Gomersal Scout Group

Formerly:
    Cub SA - 3rd SV Scholes Scout Group
    Hove Edge Scout Group (GSL, Trustee)
    West Yorkshire Scout County (ACC Cubs, Agent 2:007, County Secretary, County MM, Gang Show Secretary, Gang Show Media)
    Keighley District (ADC Cubs, ADC Beavers, DMM, Trustee)
    8th Keighley Scout Group (ACSL, CSL, GSL, Group Chair)

All posts made by myself are of a personal nature.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,332 Times in 1,434 Posts
    wayne was pretty useless when it came to a national issue like compass "it works... just use it... it works.. keep goinfg.. it works... it's fine... keep going... my orders will be obeyed... oh... hang on... it doesn't work"... so maybe he can help with a more prosaic local problem?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

BigBadBaloo (01-03-2016),itchen (01-03-2016)

Thanks
    New section within the group requiring sheer "****** mindedness" scares me!!

Me too,but it was new group or bye bye scout's at 14.5,to be honest that worried me more
    Last edited by BREWBOY; 01-03-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BREWBOY View Post
    Me too,but it was new group or bye bye scout's at 14.5,to be honest that worried me more
    So you formed an Explorer Unit?

No support from District?!?!

<sigh>
    Mark Pullen

Formerly:
    West Yorkshire Scout County (ACC Cubs, Agent 2:007, County Secretary, County MM, Gang Show Secretary, Gang Show Media)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mediamanager View Post

<sigh>
    You aren't allowed to just form an Explorer Unit. The District decides where they are required and forms them. It is not part of the Group, so the Group would be breaching charity law by bankrolling it.

Thanks
    I would therefore like to know why the Scout Association insist on payment of a full years membership when a Group has only just started.
    Seems a reasonable question to me. If a group starts half way through the year then paying half a years membership seems more sensible than paying for a full year.

Of course you can plan around the fact that the rules are such as they are but I'm not sure that means no one should question if the rule could be changed though.

Thanks

<sigh>
    Only found out District Explorer Commisioners name this morning,although i had met others from District,and had my appointments interview,thats all

Thanks
    If compass had worked as planned, the 'capitation' could have been taken for youth by monthly dd of less than 3/month, however...
    Mike Hudgell
    ESL (YL) Worthing - worthingyl.info

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    You aren't allowed to just form an Explorer Unit. The District decides where they are required and forms them. It is not part of the Group, so the Group would be breaching charity law by bankrolling it.
    I hadn't realised till the last post by BREWBOY that they were talking Explorers ..... but no support from District?!?! Sheesh!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Simon.md View Post
    Seems a reasonable question to me. If a group starts half way through the year then paying half a years membership seems more sensible than paying for a full year.

Of course you can plan around the fact that the rules are such as they are but I'm not sure that means no one should question if the rule could be changed though.
    But has the OP asked Wayne, the UKCC, for HQ to review the procedure or for actual help here and now?!
    Mark Pullen

Formerly:

Thanks
    But has the OP asked Wayne, the UKCC, for HQ to review the procedure or for actual help here and now?!
    The question to Wayne was as I quoted. The here and now bit was all preamble. It seems sensible to to me to include an example of why the rule you are questioning can be a problem though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon.md View Post
    The question to Wayne was as I quoted. The here and now bit was all preamble. It seems sensible to to me to include an example of why the rule you are questioning can be a problem though.
    No problem with Wayne being asked the question .... just that the example given was more a reflection on bad planning.
    Mark Pullen

Formerly:

nele
    Thanks
    Until May last year you could get a fee reduction for the first capitation/census. We did for 2 of the new sections here.
    Abudget for starting the section could easily have been put in place only to find out later about the unexpected change in the rules.
    I think you need to start new sections when you have the leaders/ young people / venue in place. If you are going to start after Christmas you can delay slightly so that you don't have to pay HQ fees in the first month, but I really don't see the point in delaying all sections to gain max 'free' time. Surely that will just put the young people off?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nele For This Useful Post:

BeardySi (01-03-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 855 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    That might be how it is on paper, but its often not how it is in reality.

There are two EU's operating where I am and an unspecified number of Explorers attending Scouts or staying on as YL's. No one asked and 'district' is content for that to continue.

POR is fine if it can be made to work, but if it can't (and it isn't a question of safety being impinged) then you just get on with making things work.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

big chris (01-03-2016)

Thanks
    I find this thread so sad. If your expanding the group/district/county with new sections then you need to speculate to accumulate.

At the very least HQ should support them by no AMS at 1st Census. District and County should follow same route for their slice

You cannot start something from nothing - its' not possible. The needs to be an immediate grant prior to starting to get some equipment in.

Scouting relies on its leaders to fund the sections and its not right.
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    .........................No support from District?!?!

<sigh>
    Mark, you seem to have missed my post #20, after an earlier comment of yours about support from District:

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    One would like to thing so, wouldn't we? But how many times have we seen demonstrated on these pages the lack of support from District for Groups. In an ideal world what you say would be true, but very many groups are in a far from ideal world and there is a big difference between "the backing of the District" and guidance and support.
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)