Thread: Easter Camp. General call for activity ideas.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 863 Posts

Easter Camp. General call for activity ideas.

We're off over the Easter Weekend again, to an outdoor centre. We'll have it to ourselves so there are no onsite staff/activities. It goes with out saying, we have no budget for any big ticket stuff, so what ideas do the Escout collective have for quirky things to do to do during the day or in the evening? We're away Friday to Monday.

We'll do the usual quiz night, we'll also try to make a film of sorts (using phones and a laptop to edit), Explorers will do their own cooking (takes up a fair bit of time...) We're staying in the Strathyre area of the Trossachs - I know there are opportunities for walking which we'll do (low level - we have some young members who are a bit raw.)

So... Does anyone have any quirky/mildly dangerous/entertaining/useful ideas that have worked well in the past? We have plenty indoor and outdoor space, there is no scope for pioneering (which is a shame) but there is a useful fire pit outside...

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Bushcraft is always great, get some strikers and light fires without matches, and then cook dampers (1 cup flour, half cup milk powder, enough water to make a dough, wrap around a stick) on the fire.

Have a look to see if there's any geocaches around the area. You could also do a treasure hunt with clues.
    Nyika (formerly Bagheera)

On hiatus.
    Archery Leader

Scouting for All and nobody left behind!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Puzzledbyadream For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    We had an interesting night of 'what can you boil water in?'
    They were surprised to find out plastic bottles and plastic cups and the paper type cups from fast food outlets,
    and if they were really careful polythene freezer bags.
    sit them in the embers rather than flames,
    should keep them occupied for a couple of hours especially if you send them around the site to find these things
    in a sort of survival mode.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BREWBOY For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    Could have a play with creating some different stoves. With fairly minimal cost and the right kit you could potentially get fairly close to rocket stoves, wood gas stoves or hobo stoves - most of them just need old tins and the tools to alter them safely. Instructables has some good stuff on there - you can then have a go at cooking on them. Other one you might like to look at before I get sent to the pyromaniacs naughty step is Denver Fire Holes - although they might not be appropriate if you can't dig holes.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    ok I'll ask,whats a Denver fire hole?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BREWBOY View Post
    ok I'll ask,whats a Denver fire hole?
    Dig two small (as in diameter small - probably need about 30cm depth) holes in the ground adjacent to each other - make a connection between the two at the bottom. Fill one with wood and light it, the other hole feeds air in from the bottom to enable it to keep burning. If you have it set up right you can then just put your pot across the top of the one with the fire in (making sure there is still some exit for hot gases etc rather than the pot sealing the top) without needing to raise it up.

Need to be a bit careful you don't do this in peaty soil or near dry tree roots for obvious reasons!
    Last edited by mang21; 16-03-2016 at 11:44 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Fireballs.

Chains, wire, old cotton bedsheets, paraffin, welding gloves....and a good solid risk assessment.

http://stonehavenfireballs.co.uk/about

Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    The backwoods cooking ideas are great, we could certainly do some of that. The Denver fire hole has potential, we should be able to dig holes without to much bother.

The Geocaches are also a good idea, a couple of my Explorers have done it in the past too - well reminded.

I think, on balance I'll probably not do the fire balls... I have some Explorers who... Well... The risk assessment says no...

I thought about getting some polymer Plasticine (it sets in a domestic oven) but I couldn't think what they could make that wouldn't be naff (I would leave it to their imaginations but we'd end up with a dozen ummm - well, lets not go there at lunch time...)

Anyone have any tips on games like Jenga or along those lines? Probably have time to run an Amazon/eBay order...

Thanks all.

Thanks
    Remember that Explorers are just Beavers with bigger appetites - an Easter camp wouldn't be right without an Easter Egg Hunt!

Nick

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick For This Useful Post:

mang21 (16-03-2016),nevynxxx (16-03-2016),pa_broon74 (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    If you want a fun indoor jenga like game try this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Melissa-Doug...ywords=suspend - downside its a limit of 4 players but you could do it as teams.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (16-03-2016)

Thanks
    If you have access to some poles and rope why not get them making catapults. Or how about an egg race, where they have to propel an egg over a distance without breaking, take some household junk with you, boxes, plastic bags , balloons, pipecleaners etc and get them to make a capsule to protect their eggy stuntman!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Remember that Explorers are just Beavers with bigger appetites - an Easter camp wouldn't be right without an Easter Egg Hunt!

Nick
    Easter egg hunt where they are hidden at points on a large scale map, or at compass bearings?

Thanks
    At college tomorrow I am teaching my rabble to make the Newmarket ballista out of bamboo canes and elastic bands. That could work for you? Broom handles or scout staves would be better.
    Nyika (formerly Bagheera)

On hiatus.
    Archery Leader

Scouting for All and nobody left behind!

Thanks
    I'm trying to work out how we might do an Easter egg hunt with a twist, might organise a treasure hunt/easter egg hunt...

I'll look up the ballista idea online. (Although we have our own Nerf equipment, which you'd think they thought shoot real bullets when they're mid-battle - its a silly wee foam dart, it doesn't even sting...)

We might do some baking too, anything food related usually goes down well...

Thanks Folks.

Thanks
    you could use simple semaphore,the first 10 letters or so are easy to learn.spell out a 3 or 4 letter word,which will be a clue to an answer on an envelope,
    inside the envelope has the rough location of an egg,
    e.g. B E D ............clue on envelope 'Sleep well tonight' in envelope 'by the big oak tree' or 'under skips car'

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BREWBOY For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (17-03-2016)