Thread: New project management - from blog

Thanks

New project management - from blog

Hi Wayne,

great to hear that the Trustees have taken the issues from some of the recent projects so seriously and that they are putting in place more governance and better processes. It was also great to see in POR that the vetting process is being made more transparent and also to learn that the TSA has listened to leaders concerns regarding the ratios and potential impact on the activities we would be able to offer young people whilst we are all still so short of volunteers.

Could I ask two things - could we have sight of the Compass report now that the lessons have been learnt; and secondly could you, or one of your colleagues, share the reasons behind the proposal to change the ratios because I am not aware of hearing any reports of accidents or near misses where having an extra adult would have prevented it. It would also be useful to know from the analysis of accidents how many occurred when the proposed ratios were actually in place.

Many thanks,

Happy Easter.

John
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wealdbrook For This Useful Post:

big chris (26-03-2016),chris jay (28-03-2016),eskibrew (27-03-2016),Hatman (26-03-2016),itchen (25-03-2016),Neil Williams (28-03-2016),ntahall (27-03-2016),scarlet pimp (28-03-2016),shiftypete (26-03-2016),tonybaulch (26-03-2016)

Thanks
    Hi John,

Many thanks for the feedback.

On Compass, we are still in discussions with our suppliers and so unable to release the finalised report I'm afraid. We will do so just as soon as we are able. As in this case however, where we are able to share and discuss some of the lessons learnt we are, and more importantly, we are acting on all of them.

On the ratio proposals, having checked with the team, these were driven by member feedback over a number of years that the current rules were not clear and required interpretation. This led the team to propose the changes, intended to improve understanding and reduce a need for interpretation. The process we introduced however of pre-consulting on changes has made it clear that the changes proposed, far from improving understanding, led to further problems, hence they have been taken back for a rethink by the team.

Hope this helps,
    Wayne
    Wayne Bulpitt

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bulpittw For This Useful Post:

Brownbeaver1991 (29-03-2016),David Kendall (29-03-2016),eskibrew (31-03-2016),Jakala.NL (29-03-2016),Neil Williams (29-03-2016),richardnhunt (29-03-2016),wealdbrook (29-03-2016)

Thanks
    Wayne,

thanks for the response - I can appreciate that there may be commercial issues preventing the full report being shared - even a summary of the key lessons learnt would be of interest to some of us and, particularly, any plans for Compass going forward. For me it is just a membership database for the TSA - I can only see myself and my immediate peers (who surprisingly I know), I can't see my GSL or anyone else in the District. I can't even see the names of the other groups in the District, something I could in the old system. But hey, at least it is up and stable so some ideas for the future would be great.

As to the ratios, there has been quite an extensive thread elsewhere on escouts. I can (sort of) understand that some leaders found the current rules hard to understand, but the answer is to improve the English not to dramatically change the rules. In our group we have already reduced the numbers we are prepared to take into Beavers because that has a ripple on to Cubs and Scouts in a few years time. If we want to keep doing the adventurous activities the YP all enjoy and Scouting is famous for, then we will have to reduce the numbers on each event since leaders do not grow on trees. We are also concerned that if the rules proposed come in then the programme will be immediately curtailed in the younger sections since we cannot quickly resource the extra adults even from the parents.

Anyway - rant over!

Thank you for the feedback.

John
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wealdbrook For This Useful Post:

itchen (29-03-2016),roger-uk (29-03-2016),scarlet pimp (31-03-2016)

Thanks
    Many thanks John, hope you feel a little better

We have looked at separating areas of the report, however this is proving difficult as some elements, especially a critical one, underpin a number of aspects perhaps not surprisingly. I do however think we can separate a little in the specific areas you identify e.g. hierarchal access levels, where next in the short term. Whilst some are tied up in commercial aspects, others may be able to be shared. I'll ask the team to take a look.

The activities team are appreciate of any suggestions on how current advice can be improved, and I've shared those I've gratefully received.

Thanks again,
    Wayne
    Wayne Bulpitt