Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: AGM..... eekk

Thanks

AGM..... eekk

So being AGSL its up to me to organise the AGM, and as I've not done one before I'm a little lost. So apart from showing the accounts, inviting parents and district and providing tea and biscuits I don't know what else to do. I do want it to be light hearted and not overly formal, so was going to give some badges and prizes out, but not too many as it can drag....

So can peeps with more experience let me know what has and hasn't worked for them
    AGSL / SL 9th Fairfield

Thanks
    we always do an annual round up presentation (slideshow of photos to music) of all the scout group has done in the last year, it seems to go down well with the parents

Thanks
    If you want anybody to turn up you will need to give them a reason to turn up, eg. AGM followed by a BBQ.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kev For This Useful Post:

boballan (17-07-2017)

Thanks
    We hold ours on a Pack Night at a local campsite so its a normal cub night to which we invite the scouts & beavers and its too far for parents to go home after dropping off before heading back again to collect them. Having trapped them we ply them with snacks and drinks with the boring part of the meeting got through as quickly as possible. We run a simple wide game during this and then we then call all the YP back into the Hall for the slideshow, make a few presentations and they go home at the usual time.

We usually manage around 40-50 adults, plus 60 YP so standing room only in the building. We do invite District but historically have a poor response.
    The Roman Empire did not become great by holding meetings. It did so by killing everyone that opposed their point of view.

Thanks
    I have been several times as a "District Rep." to one particular Group. There's is certainly "not overly formal"

It is often combined with a normal Scout meeting. Besides looking at pictures of the numerous events the Group runs, parents are encouraged to join in a quiz and last year some were persuaded to volunteer to try a game or two.

Various reports are produced in written form so there is little sitting down being talked at.

I look forward to going.

Thanks
    My only advice is to think about what you as a group want the AGM to achieve:

-Quick business meeting?
    -Celebration?
    -Recruitment event?

Rich

Thanks
    As to the formal business of the AGM your Group Exec need to be elected/nominated including approving the GSLs nomination of Group Chair and any Section Leaders must state if they wish to be on the Exec.

In our Group we try to get all of the formal stuff out of the way as quickly as possible usually about 20 mins. The formal AGM business is proceeded with about 10 mins of taster type activities from each of the sections (so 30 mins in total) which we try to get parents and any siblings involved in. We have done camp doughnuts, tent pitching competition, build a contraption to protect and egg thrown over one of the beams in the hall, balloon rockets, built a rope swing (over the beam of the structural A-frame) . After the formal business we show a photo montage of the year's activities and serve refreshments which in recent years this has included a nice pasta meal cooked by our CSL on the basis that more parents will come and hang around if they are being fed

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    The agenda is easy because it's laid down in POR 3.23a(iv) - it's a bit more than just the accounts (which are only half of the annual report). Formally speaking, it's the AGM of the Group Scout Council, that being the assembly of (loosely) all those associated with the Group. In theory, the Group Scout Council could have other meetings as well, though I've never come across one that did.

iv. The Group Scout Council must hold an Annual General Meeting within six months of the financial year end to:
    * receive and consider the Annual Report of the Group Executive Committee, including the annual statement of accounts;
    * approve the Group Scout Leader's nomination of the Group Chairman and nominated members of the Group Executive Committee;
    * elect a Group Secretary and Group Treasurer;
    * elect certain members of the Group Executive Committee (see other rules in the section);
    * appoint an auditor or independent examiner or scrutineer as required.
    It's usual of course to invite a speaker from District. That needs to be done well ahead, since many Groups may be having competing AGMs around the same time. The definition of which Executive members should be elected (and which appointed by the GSL) has been deliberately written to be as complicated as possible to understand.

In terms of what you really asked, we've done various things. A BBQ and games can be successful - we did that for quite a few years and are doing it again this year, with a camp fire to follow. For several years recently, we've done a Group camp and built the AGM into that - but near enough for anyone not camping to come out and join us. There's too much else on this year to do that again, but we probably will another year (and apparently some families are going off and doing their own non-Scouting camp because they are missing it so much!) Like others, we would have a slide show available, but probably not in the AGM proper, just to watch in spare moments.

A well-run AGM can be done in 20 minutes, provided no-one asks any questions (which is of course their absolute right and rather the point of the thing - it's just that, in practice, our Group has always been a happy family and people rarely do), and the speaker from District has been briefed well! We generally choose a meeting night - it helps that all three sections meet on the same night, so we just tell families to turn up at the neighbouring District's camp site instead of at church.
    SL, 11th Hitchin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,435 Times in 1,323 Posts
    Over the years , I have tried almost all sorts of ideas to get people to attend AGMs. By and large they have all failed. I know that this is a common issue around these parts, AGMs tend to consist of the Exec, a few leaders ( sometimes no Leaders) and a couple of parents (sometimes no parents).

Having done all the prep, advertised the meeting, had kids put on shows, having provided activities, catering, etc.. and having one man and his dog turn up, I stopped worrying about it. We set a date, we tell people, we go through the business - The accounts are summarised, the reports are in black and white for anyone who wants to to read and we move on. No fuss.

One year I slipped the AGM into St George's Day, with a low profile advance notice. We had about 30 parents at the SGD Meal and even though the AGM element took no longer than 10 minutes, we still got complaints that they would not have come had they known...

We stopped asking for a speaker from District, as it was exceedingly patronising of people who had never crossed the threshold to come and tell us what a wonderful job we were doing when they had no idea what we were doing... If they sent someone, they sent someone.

If you don't get a big response, then just accept it and don't make a big production out of your next AGM. Just get your accounts correct.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Bushfella;422435]Over the years , I have tried almost all sorts of ideas to get people to attend AGMs. By and large they have all failed. I know that this is a common issue around these parts, AGMs tend to consist of the Exec, a few leaders ( sometimes no Leaders) and a couple of parents (sometimes no parents).

Same with our group, tried alsorts, just stick to a 20 minute AGM now after cub meeting.
    Send invite to parents, other than parent leaders no parents have turned up over last 2 years.
    Ron
    GSL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Our GSL used to arrange it as sort of a kids party (for scouts, cubs, beavers and siblings) with attached AGM. Parents did turn up but it used to really annoy me because the leaders got sent out of the AGM to run the kids party.

Thanks
    We generally have a reasonable turn out of parents although not great but usually about 20 parents I would say. We hold ours on meeting night in replacement of the normal meeting. We usually hold it on the Beaver and Cub night as we get better attendance from their parents than Scout parents.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 2,435 Times in 1,323 Posts
    [QUOTE=Ron;422439]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Over the years , I have tried almost all sorts of ideas to get people to attend AGMs. By and large they have all failed. I know that this is a common issue around these parts, AGMs tend to consist of the Exec, a few leaders ( sometimes no Leaders) and a couple of parents (sometimes no parents).

Same with our group, tried alsorts, just stick to a 20 minute AGM now after cub meeting.
    Send invite to parents, other than parent leaders no parents have turned up over last 2 years.

So, which WY groups have a great attendance at AGMs?
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    In recent years have put on a puppet show,a magician,a petting farm etc etc always get a good turnout of families and young people.Also include awards presentation and refreshments either a bbq or cakes (even did a bake off one year)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    We once held the AGM at our local campsite on a Saturday with a few activities and got 2 parents and about 1/2 the leaders. Next chairman used to use the AGM as a platform to show how wonderful THEY were with long speeches, boring speakers from county and only attracted parents by holding it on a normal meeting at the change over between Cubs and Scouts and not telling anyone (including the leaders) it was happening. All very boring, against POR, charities commission etc. - luckily those days are behind us.

Now we go to a local campsite that also has a building if it rains, put on a few fun activities and games, offer a bit of food and do the official bit in 15 to 20 minutes. No long speeches or invited speakers, handouts if anyone wants them and all done standing up. Generally we get a parent form around 1/2 the families involved in the group and it all runs well, occasionally we even get someone volunteering!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast