Thread: Names in Atlantic

Thanks

Names in Atlantic

Re question to Wayne about hypens etc in names.

Must admit I too was astounded by this too. Surely a government sponsored system (Atlantic) which is used for checking the criminal records etc of a person should be using the name by which a person is known as it will be this that is on any police records, passports, driving licences etc and wherever searches are done ? At the very least it is an insult to people to not be allowed to use their actual name.

I see that Compass and TSA is correct in this case as it allows the proper spelling of a person's name.
    In between roles/helping out where I can......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kendall View Post
    Re question to Wayne about hypens etc in names.

Must admit I too was astounded by this too. Surely a government sponsored system (Atlantic) which is used for checking the criminal records etc of a person should be using the name by which a person is known as it will be this that is on any police records, passports, driving licences etc and wherever searches are done ? At the very least it is an insult to people to not be allowed to use their actual name.

I see that Compass and TSA is correct in this case as it allows the proper spelling of a person's name.
    There could be more than meets the eye here. It is a known problem and TSA are working on it.

It could be the API at fault here to transfer data between Compass and Atlantic (i don't know if it is or not and speculating the issue as I cant believe Atlantic Data will not allow hyphens).
    Simon Parr
    Group Scout Leader - 1st Nanpantan Scouts
    County Cub Scout Leader - Leicestershire Scouts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sitb2000 View Post
    It could be the API at fault here to transfer data between Compass and Atlantic (i don't know if it is or not and speculating the issue as I cant believe Atlantic Data will not allow hyphens).
    I believe it. Found this out when I came to process a repeat DBS for someone who was on Compass with a hyphenated name. The name had been like that on MMS so must have been processed OK using the previous manual CRB process. Atlantic would not allow the name with a hyphen so had to get info centre to remove the hyphen in Compass so I could resubmit the DBS request to Atlantic.
    In between roles/helping out where I can......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sitb2000 View Post
    There could be more than meets the eye here. It is a known problem and TSA are working on it.

Just to be clear. HQ do know about it - whether they are working on it they have not said.

The data is transferred from Compass to Atlantic correctly. and the hyphen appears.

The problem is that in Atlantic the surname is used as a username for when they receive log on details to enter their chosen documents.

Atlantic allows you to change the email address to which you send the request, it also allows you to change the password.

It does NOT (that I can see) allow you to change the user name.

The only way, it appears to to change it in Compass (only HQ can do this) so that it appears correctly on Atlantic without the hyphen, then get HQ to change it back after the event.

HQ have indicated that it will not make any difference to the outcome of the DBS check, which is fine, but we should not be asking HQ to change users names to suit. Atlantic should be changing to accept correct data OR allow the username to be changed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to daveb123 For This Useful Post:

David Kendall (12-04-2016)

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    This is yet another example of a problem with Compass or Atlantic DBS where we are having to operate some kind of 'work around'. What should be happening is that the problem is fixed.

Atlantic have a duty, like the rest of us, under the Data Protection Act to hold accurate data. If they are changing peoples names in their records so that the information is incorrect then this is a breach of the Data Protection Act and should be urgently fixed.

Anyone that has an incorrect name (i.e. without a hyphen or other character) in the Atlantic system has the right to demand that Atlantic correct their records, and can ask the Information Commissioner to investigate if Atlantic refuses to correct incorrect data.

Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulArthurs For This Useful Post:

David Kendall (12-04-2016)