Thread: Ambassadors,, national council members and commissioners

Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 632 Posts

Ambassadors,, national council members and commissioners

I think it is well known that we prefer different political methods, I would like to see the Movement publicly lobbying on youth issues, where you seem to favour more discreet '' behind the scenes'' methods.

Recently there has been a clash where a DC spoke out on an issue using his personal blog, only to have his right to do so challenged by an MP who emphasised his position as a Scout Ambassador and National council Member.

Whilst accepting that No Scout Website should be used for political lobbying, I am uncomfortable that high status scout posts should be used to 'brow beat' members of the movement who have different political views.

Can you assure us that this MP will not be allowed to take this matter further ''behind the scenes'' within the scout movement, and that all Ambassadors, national council members and commissioners will be reminded of the values and standards of behaviour expected from members of the movement.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tony Ransley For This Useful Post:

Andrew Rush (09-05-2016),bernwood (09-05-2016),claire.shadbolt (09-05-2016),Ian Mallett (11-05-2016),itchen (09-05-2016),Mallah (09-05-2016),roger-uk (09-05-2016),SteveF (10-05-2016),The Hairy One (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    There is a single complaints policy in TSA, which applies to everybody regardless of their role Tony. All members of Council are reminded of our policies and values on renewal of their appointments (every three years from memory) and asked to confirm their agreement.

In this particular case, I think both parties might reflect that they should have acted differently at different times.
    Wayne Bulpitt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 632 Posts
    Thank You Wayne,

My concern is as someone who has spoken out against peoples professional or family life being used against them in scouting debates, I am very alarmed that this MP has sought to weaponise his support for the movement as a means of intimidating a constituent on a matter unrelated to scouting. I understand that the DC in question has taken steps to clarify his personal blog does not represent the position of The Scout Association can the MP now be instructed to clarify that he did not mean to use his honorary position or his contacts at HQ for personal/ political ends.

I am sure you will appreciate that if we want people to speak out proudly about their involvement in scouting, they must be able to do so without fear that it might be used against them politically.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Ransley For This Useful Post:

CambridgeSkip (10-05-2016),SteveF (10-05-2016)