Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: paraffin lamps source?

Thanks

paraffin lamps source?

I'm looking to buy some decent paraffin lamps that won't leak after one use and will take the abuse of going to camp.

We have a couple of tilleys but it's the faff of lighting want some quick light the kids and use rather than battery lamps.

Links to buy on line of one's you have that worked would be great.
    ASL JNI Scouts Paisley

Known as Q as I am the quartermaster

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
    Tilleys or similar are the best paraffin lamps IMHO. If you want something quick to light which is not battery powered (and still provides heating as well) then look at gas lamps.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 2,917 Times in 1,585 Posts
    If you want the kids to use them and you think Tilleys are a faff, then go for Gas.

Coleman petrol lanterns are the quickest to light - but you have to get it right!
    Tilleys are second quickest to Light
    Petromax ( and clones) are amazing bits of kit, but a faff to light
    Vapalux/ Bialladin you need the later models.

I have restored four Vapalux, Petromax and Tilley to working condittion this past week. The Tilley gave off the best light.

ALL of them need attention if you leave them sitting for any length of time.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    I have a couple of Tilleys, but I learnt to use them as a young scout, I also learnt not to wait until it was dark to light them, so never needed instant light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shaun For This Useful Post:

DonTregartha (15-05-2016),recneps (16-05-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    One of my key projects, once the county jamboree is over, is to restore our tilley lamps to working order and look at whether we need to buy any additional lamps.

As much as our 12v and 240v electrical systems, and our battery powered magnetic lamps are great for lighting the marquee clearly, they dont give off any form of useful heat.

Sitting around on a nippy evening at camp a tilley / coleman lamp on the table is far nicer. Not as nice as a fire of course!

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Bialladin you need the later models.
    My own is a Bialladin and I find the light better than the Tilleys the group has however they have not been looked after as well as mine!
    Martin (GSL & acting CSL)

Thanks
    Are the Coleman petrol lamps any good,looking at getting a couple.

Thanks
    They are good but... do not get any with piezo ignition. IME they are a tad unreliable on lighting. If they don't ignite on the first or second spark they can go with a bang that blows the mantle off and cracks the glass. Done that twice - then left the lamp in the stores - where it remains...

I prefer Kerosene/ paraffin lamps because paraffin is not as volatile as petrol/ Coleman fuel.
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

Thanks
    Hi everyone

Do any of you have a favorite place for spares for paraffin lamps?
    We've got a few tilly & vapalux lamps that need some TLC.

has anyone tried cleaning/unblocking a jet & would share the secrets?

As for the Coleman petrol lamps, we ended up getting some many years ago when the Tilly factory had burnt down. We've never liked them, always were a bit tempermental, and the mantles were much more fragile than our paraffin lamps. probably going to ditch them

Richard

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grenfellfamily View Post
    has anyone tried cleaning/unblocking a jet & would share the secrets?
    Acupuncture needle.

Thanks
    Places to buy spares -

On ebay - Kimbolton Stores do a lot of pressure lamp and stove spares

www.base-camp.co.uk have a huge selection of stock and are very helpful

https://fettlebox.co.uk is also very good - plus there is the http://www.classicpressurelamps.com/forum/index.php? which has lots of guidance and advice.
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    We have a couple of tilleys and I want more but the scouts don't like them and the scouts don't like the faff. Non of the young leaders like them it's only some of the old farts that light them some can't.
    Gas again have a couple but to be honest not my fave due to size - one lamp plus one gas cylinder with limits on number of cylinders due to storage space.
    The scouts actually asked for more paraffin lamps with the traditional style scouting they can use. Get them in the door with a paraffin then train up to use tilleys in the future.
    Batteries I'm phasing out.

Instant light is needed as quite often we get to camp and it's already dark as we go after a troop night.

I'm doing the same with tents get them in the door with easy stuff (force 10s) then bring in heavy canvas dinning shelters then Icelandic's. As you know this takes years to get a well trained troop where the older ones can do the training they start as this year's scubs by the time they are pls they have had years of training and can now pass it on.
    ASL JNI Scouts Paisley

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rudd View Post
    We have a couple of tilleys and I want more but the scouts don't like them and the scouts don't like the faff. Non of the young leaders like them it's only some of the old farts that light them some can't.
    Gas again have a couple but to be honest not my fave due to size - one lamp plus one gas cylinder with limits on number of cylinders due to storage space.
    The scouts actually asked for more paraffin lamps with the traditional style scouting they can use. Get them in the door with a paraffin then train up to use tilleys in the future.
    Batteries I'm phasing out.

Instant light is needed as quite often we get to camp and it's already dark as we go after a troop night.

I'm doing the same with tents get them in the door with easy stuff (force 10s) then bring in heavy canvas dinning shelters then Icelandic's. As you know this takes years to get a well trained troop where the older ones can do the training they start as this year's scubs by the time they are pls they have had years of training and can now pass it on.
    I agree gentle introductions and training are what is needed - thats how the patrol system should theoretically work with the younger ones learning from the older ones.

Instant light when arriving at camp can be a difficult one. The solution I used to use when I had the landrover was a big light bar on the front of the roof rack which would illuminate the site. Our SL is looking at fitting something similar to his landrover and i'm looking at the potential for something demountable that we could fit onto the top of the minibus (probably a single roof bar that can be clamped onto the rain gutters near the front with spotlights mounted on it and some form of socket that it all plugs into)

That way there is light while pitching the canvas, and then enough light to see to get the lamps set up.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    If you practice lighting them, you can easily light them in the dark.

As soon as you light the wick you have sufficient light to see what is happening with the lamp. As the wick is about to burn out you open the control and bingo, light. If you get a flare, you let it heat a little longer and then try again. If you burn the wick till it goes out, you can light the lantern with a taper.
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    Instant light when arriving at camp can be a difficult one. The solution I used to use when I had the landrover was a big light bar on the front of the roof rack which would illuminate the site. Our SL is looking at fitting something similar to his landrover and i'm looking at the potential for something demountable that we could fit onto the top of the minibus (probably a single roof bar that can be clamped onto the rain gutters near the front with spotlights mounted on it and some form of socket that it all plugs into)

That way there is light while pitching the canvas, and then enough light to see to get the lamps set up.
    I tried convincing the wife I needed a land rover for scouts unfortunately after owning a series 3 with no heaters, and panel gaps that let in wind and water I was told no managed to get a range rover I think it was the heated seats that swung it but can't see a light bar sitting quite as well on the roof though. Plus your not allowed on our usual site in any vehicles. I do want to put a spot light or 2 on a pole on the troop trailer but we don't always use it.

Bushfella yeah practice would make it easier but the scouts aren't interested
    ASL JNI Scouts Paisley