Thread: Mixed scout and non scout group using scout campsite

Thanks

Mixed scout and non scout group using scout campsite

Had an email from one of my YLs earlier today, asking if she went camping with a group of non scout school friends could they use a scout campsite?

My answer was to give a couple of campsites a call and ask them, I was aware that most allow organised non scout youth groups to use the site, whether they would allow a random group of teenagers I couldn't say. I suspect that the answer will vary from site to site.

Does anyone know of sites that are happy to take them? My instinct is they could hit a red tape nightmare. As shes a scout on scout site they might insist on it being run under scout rules so need nights away passport but I assume that I can't issue a nights away passport for a non scout trip involving non scouts and regardless of whether I could would not be prepared to do so for a group where I only know one of them.

Any thoughts? Or am i missing some wood in among some trees?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Tis easy to address this...

The camp gets run as a recruiting event... covers a multitude of sins

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Tis easy to address this...

The camp gets run as a recruiting event... covers a multitude of sins

Sorry, not being quite so flippant... Deal with this as a leader, make sure the ones organising the event know the rules ( SA Rules) and then let them go ahead but you have to have the health forms, etc.. No health form, no attend.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,160 Times in 1,261 Posts
    Been burnt by this before. Post exam weekend or even a week? With added non scouts? No leaders?

Why would I sign an event passport when I don't know the people that are going?

Hypothetically, the scout people suffer the peer pressure and don't want to be the bad guy that makes everyone camp to scout standards. They could be at an age where some going away without parents means drinking, thinking they're at Glastonbury or something.

It's just possible that it's booked in the name of scouts, and the warden didn't realise that non scouts would be there.

Litter. Noise. Poor behaviour. Under age drinking. Phone calls from the DC who has had to field angry wardens from another county.

Not with my permit on the line.

Hypothetically of course.

Then again, they might be umm, straight laced... Good kids... Nerds even... And their friends are birds of a feather. They'll go camping, poke fires, enjoyed themselves, no problem.

It would depend on the kids involved for sure. I'd also try and make sure that it was mostly scouts with one or two non scouts, rather than the other way round, so the peer pressure is on the non scouts to behave like scouts.

I'd be surprised if they found a scout site that would accept a group of non scout teenagers.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    I doubt many Scout Campsites would consider taking them. Our District site takes bookings from other youth groups/organisations such as Guides, School DofE groups, ATC etc etc but they have to be part of some official group so they have their own insurance and Safeguarding procedures etc.

I would not take the risk of allowing a load of non members camp especially if as I suspect this is some sort of post exams camp. On the other hand I would be perfectly happy to issue a passport for some of my Explorers to do this as I know and trust them and they know full well the standards I expect of them.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Been burnt by this before. Post exam weekend or even a week? With added non scouts? No leaders?

Why would I sign an event passport when I don't know the people that are going?

Hypothetically, the scout people suffer the peer pressure and don't want to be the bad guy that makes everyone camp to scout standards. They could be at an age where some going away without parents means drinking, thinking they're at Glastonbury or something.

It's just possible that it's booked in the name of scouts, and the warden didn't realise that non scouts would be there.

Litter. Noise. Poor behaviour. Under age drinking. Phone calls from the DC who has had to field angry wardens from another county.

Not with my permit on the line.

Hypothetically of course.

Then again, they might be umm, straight laced... Good kids... Nerds even... And their friends are birds of a feather. They'll go camping, poke fires, enjoyed themselves, no problem.

It would depend on the kids involved for sure. I'd also try and make sure that it was mostly scouts with one or two non scouts, rather than the other way round, so the peer pressure is on the non scouts to behave like scouts.

I'd be surprised if they found a scout site that would accept a group of non scout teenagers.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Indeed, which is why I've already said that even if I am allowed to sign off a passport for a group including non scouts (not checked but my assumption is no) that I won't be doing so anyway. While my instinct with this kid is that her friends would be good sorts who wouldn't cause trouble there is still no way I'm going to vouch for teenagers I haven't met.

I guess I'm really thinking out loud and wondering what I've missed in terms helping her organise a camping trip for her and her friends without having to be responsible for it!

Thanks
    If they are all 16 or over or at least one of them is 18 then look at the YHA.