This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
    Thanks

CANCELLED- Escouts Ecamp 2016 - 15th Birthday Ecamp

Hi

It is with regret, that I have decided to cancel this camp. There was simply not enough interest, with 10 notes of interest.

And that is before I have got to the stage of setting a price, and Im sure there will be a few drop outs naturally for one reason or another.

I know we are all very busy, and I am busier than ever, as my Scout group is getting even bigger and I would have made the effort, if there was more interest.

Apologies

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

big chris (29-08-2016),dralphs (01-09-2016),scarlet pimp (31-08-2016)

Thanks
    Richard

Understand your reasons and appreciate there will be a degree of frustration.

I like the idea of meeting up and camping with some other Escouts posters... however it is really hard to try to fit in another Scout camping weekend, when I struggle to run the weekend events that I think I should / want to...

Graham

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Hi

It is with regret, that I have decided to cancel this camp. There was simply not enough interest, with 10 notes of interest.

And that is before I have got to the stage of setting a price, and Im sure there will be a few drop outs naturally for one reason or another.

I know we are all very busy, and I am busier than ever, as my Scout group is getting even bigger and I would have made the effort, if there was more interest.

Apologies
    no need to apologise! it is people like me that have let this proposed venture down. thank you for your efforts.

while there may be a couple of hundred scouters and such like who visit and read every day, there are probably about 20-30 of these who visit and contribute regularly and who would be best likely to support such a venture.

we should also not forget that the 'profile' of your average scouter on is one who likely contributes more than your average 2h a week. (1st FB too has it's OTT scouters but it also has a a lot more who are not OTT, in my opinion.)

given that we're spread around the country from ashby-de-la-zouch to zetland, from 'auchtermuchty' to ystradgynlais, often contributing 25% of the day to scouting, it would be quite reasonable to think that such a proposed venture only has an outside chance of success, maybe once in 50 years?

i am more likely to meet with other by accident rather than on some planned event.

(the last time i met an escouter i had a long journey through a storm, with hartshead moor services lashed with 3-4" of rain, with motorway visibility down to 100 yards (with wipers on double speed). i got there ok but i was shattered driving back and had to pull off the motorway early in the morning and sleep until about 4am when the weather and traffic cleared. sheer madness on my part!)

of course there are some events where do meet up or bump into each other, e.g. reunion, so maybe if people feel they may be at an event where other escouters may also attend they should just mention it here?

finding a weekend when many already do 53 weekends a year is challenging!

good try.

TM
    retired 21 March 2017

5. The Following User Says Thank You to merryweather For This Useful Post:

scarlet pimp (31-08-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,229 Posts
    Richard,

Thank you for your efforts.

I am another who has let the side down but with a camp that weekend for the Navigators, I can only be in one place at a time - and I suspect that this is true for a great many of us. Escouts has, in many respects had its day. Those who are left posting are those who are "of a mind" and who are also perhaps dedicated ( beyond the call of duty) to their scouting, so finding a time to slot any sort of get together is is always going to be difficult.

The other issue, is that perhaps, even with adults, it is difficult to get a response over the summer break - minds are on other things.

Nonetheless, thanks for the effort and perhaps another time things might work out differently.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

scarlet pimp (31-08-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Indeed, thanks for trying...I'd have been interested, but I have almost no free weekends remaining this year - Scouting has a habit of eating them like that!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,275 Posts
    Thanks for trying.... as with others i'd have loved to have been able to make it but a combination of a busy life, and a pregnant wife, limits free time at the moment.
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    I was one of the 10 but that was by pure luck of it being one of the few remaining weekends I had left free

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ACSL (Bagheera)
    74th Birmingham St Germains
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    Thanks for trying.... as with others i'd have loved to have been able to make it but a combination of a busy life, and a pregnant wife, limits free time at the moment.
    congrats!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    It's a shame it's had to be cancelled but in some ways not suprising. Trying to find both a date and location will always be an issue for a national event.

I've had an idea though!!! As many leaders (maybe more Scout/Explorer) at some point throughout the year find themselves visiting campsites to find suitable ones for following annual camps etc, perhaps we could set up an area or thread where people can 'invite' Escouters to join them for an evening around the campfire, so to speak, whilst they are in an area and assuming they intend to stay in the area overnight. No need for any additional arrangements, just an open invite to join in. If others say they can join then other 'activities' or visits can be arranged accordingly and around existing arrangements.
    The visiting leaders would be staying anyway so no need to cancel based on no shows from Escouts, and attendance by Escouts would be a bonus?
    Only a thought.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mallah For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (31-08-2016),recneps (01-09-2016)

Thanks
    As another "no-show" I like the idea of this, I am sure I would enjoy attending but despite this my periodic loss of enthusiasm has given me too much inertia to overcome.

More thanks to Richard for the effort applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post

... Escouts has, in many respects had its day. Those who are left posting are those who are "of a mind" and who are also perhaps dedicated ( beyond the call of duty) to their scouting, so finding a time to slot any sort of get together is is always going to be difficult. ....
    I'm not convinced Escouts has had its day. Although there is a lot of common ground amongst the posters there is usually sufficient discussion to provoke further thought.

Furthermore although I only post intermittently I lurk frequently and benefit from programme ideas, reminders on outputs from Gilwell, encouragement to look at things differently. If Escouts disappeared I fear I would revert to my default setting of "always right" and stifle change.

I suspect (no evidence) that others benefit similarly (to a greater or lesser extent).