Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Future of eScouts?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,093 Times in 794 Posts
    Perhaps the 1st FB thing is just a sign of the times?

That's how people of a certain age roll now, if they don't know they ask online, they google it. The internet (I think - for what that's worth) is a library and a crutch - in some cases its also a surrogate for common sense - hence the perceived silly questions. People are just used these days to externalising every question they have online and sharing their feelings etc etc etc, usually via witty memes or narcissistic facebook picture of their tea, cats or children. (Where as I like to inflict my often arrant/nonsensical opinions on people here and on Facebook...)

Being completely honest, when I first started commenting in earnest on this forum (I too lurked for a number of years - which by the way there is nothing wrong with, not everyone feels the need to share their opinions and views), I felt the place was quite prissy - by which I mean cliquey, but definitely not elitist as such. It really did seem as if the main or most prevalent poster's Scouting existence was some weird form of a POR Utopia - it certainly didn't (and doesn't) match my experience at Scouts and to begin with, it annoyed me slightly, there was a certain holier-than-thou tone if you had a question with some posters...

I thought it would be interesting to throw a spanner in the works. You can't say things like 'I regularly ignore POR' or 'my ratios are all to pot' or 'the kids occasionally swear and we don't mind' on here because some people get quite worked up. However, now that I've gotten to know people here (albeit not in person) I can now understand where they're coming from a bit better by their tone and typing. After a while you figure out who's opinion you favour and who's you generally ignore and who you feel needs to be challenged every now and again.

A lot of the suggestions (like staying on topic) above are probably impossible to impose - nobody enjoys a digression more than me and sometimes the real gems are in people's digressions. I suppose its about individual discipline, but then, what we have here is a group (I was going to say a mob, but it isn't really), and the psychology changes with a mob, or group...

Forums always seem to go through cycles, I've been on some where you get entrenched users who just become horrible and scare new users away - they treat it like their own personal gang hut. No one is like that here I should say, far from it. But sometimes people (me included I suppose) could be more patient, and if they have an opposing opinion, evaluate whether its really worth airing.

Here endeth the cliquey, holier-than-thou, off topic digression.

Thanks
    I look most days and post very occasionally.
    The overall look can be a little confusing and to find out where you want to go takes time if you are not used to it. Add to this in scouting talk there are sub forums that have not been active for over 9 years.
    I would suggest a tidy up, and maybe an overhaul to make it less staid looking.

I can see the points that some people are making about the 'regular' posters on here and that it sometimes doesn't seem welcoming. Some threads do seem to get hijacked by others and the OP starter has been derided because of something they have put, they might been be a newbie and needed information and came to here rather than 1stFB advice and some of the replies could have described as downright nasty.
    I noticed that there seem to be less regular posters on here then say six months, a year ago. Are they no longer involved, gone elsewhere, or got fed up of the responses they got (I know of at least one to whom the latter applies).
    Sometimes all folk want is a succinct answer to a question, not a protracted response with comments to every point or what they did when they were involved and how much better it is now they aren't or the other characteristics from posters; (this is not a pop at those who can identify themselves, but just an observation).
    Is escouts better that 1stFB, course it is, most of the time I ignore FB because of the vitriol that appears on there. The posts / threads can be quite repetitive (how far can this photo go, what badge is this, etc.). Maybe because it is so big that that the issues are there and while the admin are perhaps doing their best effective management is hard, whereas here it is not such an issue. I can see on 1stFB a number of posters that are not current members of TSA, but left and post to stir things up or provoke arguments.

This is a good place to come, sometimes, for that essential advice that is possibly lacking at a local level and we need to promote and encourage that.

I thank you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an hour a week! View Post
    ...................... I can see on 1stFB a number of posters that are not current members of TSA, but left and post to stir things up or provoke arguments.................
    Or perhaps we post because we retain an interest in Scouting and offer advice, commentary etc. based on, in some cases, many years of experience in Scouting!
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.Ě Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,093 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    Or perhaps we post because we retain an interest in Scouting and offer advice, commentary etc. based on, in some cases, many years of experience in Scouting!
    We have saying in our group - you can check out, but you can never leave.

h/t to The Eagles' Hotel California.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an hour a week! View Post
    I can see the points that some people are making about the 'regular' posters on here and that it sometimes doesn't seem welcoming.
    Perhaps some of us need to be 'challenged' to withhold posting for a 4 week period, or a calendar month? Be put into View Only Mode and see what happens!

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    These are ones who deliberately post inflammatory remarks. One in particular left because they didn't want to be in a [email protected] group, in a [email protected] district in a [email protected] county, unquote.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,818 Times in 1,520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallah View Post
    Perhaps some of us need to be 'challenged' to withhold posting for a 4 week period, or a calendar month? Be put into View Only Mode and see what happens!

Tried that... got all shakey and felt all alone in the big wide world...

In my defense - I work from home, this is my photocopier gossip spot.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

DonTregartha (06-09-2016),nevynxxx (06-09-2016),silverhairedbeaver (07-09-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallah View Post
    Or maybe there should be a limit on the number of posts that anybody can post each week - choose carefully the issues where you've got something useful to say, otherwise stay quiet
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (07-09-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Or maybe there should be a limit on the number of posts that anybody can post each week - choose carefully the issues where you've got something useful to say, otherwise stay quiet
    Really?! You absolutely don't want to reduce activity here!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RisingStar For This Useful Post:

DonTregartha (06-09-2016)

Thanks
    Perhaps JohnR is advocating quality over quantity.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Really?! You absolutely don't want to reduce activity here!
    I think he means that those of us who post too often should shut up!

Thanks
    Hi folks

Interesting to see things have got busy, the second we start talking about the future!

I want to capture all these ideas, chew them over with the team, and have a plan.

There are some excellent ideas, and ones well, not so.

The team talked over a few ideas, and I want to capture all of these, so we'll announce something to do this as soon as we can

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

BeardySi (06-09-2016),Neil Williams (06-09-2016),Trevor Yeoman (07-09-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post

In my defense - I work from home, this is my photocopier gossip spot.
    Likewise...

I was asked a while ago by a parent why I am at the hall so often and could I not do a lot of the admin remotely from home. My reply was that, being brutally honest, I'd potentially otherwise be at home on my own from the time my wife leaves to go to work in the morning til the time she gets back from guiding stuff at 10pm and not speak to another human all day!

Likewise with Escouts... sometimes the sanity of the insane conversations on here is much needed!

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

18. The Following User Says Thank You to recneps For This Useful Post:

johnL (02-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    Likewise with Escouts... sometimes the sanity of the insane conversations on here is much needed!
    Is that insane or inane? On second thoughts no you were right the first time

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 2,818 Times in 1,520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I think he means that those of us who post too often should shut up!

I shall join my friend and leave the building...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk