Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Future of eScouts?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,182 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloory View Post
    Hiya

Hopefully a bit clearer now? I didn't go to a single forum as it just didn't make sense. Let me know what you think (there may be the odd sticky post needs removing or something too).
    much better,

would be good if the home page was the forum, i reckon. or at least pushed the forum more rather than richard's announcement

2. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (04-01-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    much better,

would be good if the home page was the forum, i reckon. or at least pushed the forum more rather than richard's announcement
    I agree - I'll have a look at that next...
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Thanks
    Ahh- to me that's a vast improvement !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RisingStar For This Useful Post:

Bloory (04-01-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloory View Post
    I agree - I'll have a look at that next...
    And what's wrong with my 2017 announcement

I agree, we need to make the forum the front page

Happy New Year everyone, I know I've been a bit absent........ still very much Scouting

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

big chris (07-01-2019),Bloory (07-01-2019),marcush (10-01-2019),Neil Williams (07-01-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    still very much Scouting
    Too busy Scouting?

I think I know how you feel.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (07-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thing I've always liked about escouts compared to other social media, is you can have a disagreement, be respectful and then forget about it and move on. to many people on 1FB like to hold grudges against people and go out there way to disagree with them.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    I must say Escouts proved it still has a valuable place (and even moreso valuable members) with my wide games post. 3 decent replies within 3 hours with some great ideas as opposed to 1st FB where there is just one reply saying "we always play baseball"... and I can't even begin to imagine the calibre of responses that "Local Holding Trustees for Hut" would get...
    James

Escouts Team & System Dev Magician's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't have the exact or most recent numbers to hand, but at last count, way less than 10% of people who read the forum (not including bots) ever register or contribute. This means that a large number of people globally come and read the content without registering. I am unsure if registering is considered "old hat" given other platforms are ubiquitous with people (Facebook as the primary example)

I don't believe we have any desire to restricted access to our content or to force people to register, but it would be nice if more people who read the forum felt like contributing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Magician For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (11-01-2019),Bushfella (11-01-2019),shiftypete (11-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magician View Post
    I don't have the exact or most recent numbers to hand, but at last count, way less than 10% of people who read the forum (not including bots) ever register or contribute. This means that a large number of people globally come and read the content without registering. I am unsure if registering is considered "old hat" given other platforms are ubiquitous with people (Facebook as the primary example)

I don't believe we have any desire to restricted access to our content or to force people to register, but it would be nice if more people who read the forum felt like contributing.

I think there is an inherent flaw in all online forums. Basically, with the passage of time, active membership distils down to a hardcore few. It's anecdotal on my part (I haven't done a study or anything), but it's been my experience. There are those who will offer an opinion come what may, then those who will have an opinion but not feel so strongly that it should be aired. That latter group far outnumber the former group. So you get a hardcore few which to new people looks like an impenetrable clique. I mean it isn't, it just looks like that.

What's good about this forum is, if you ask a question, you still get a good range of answers in amongst all the tangents and opinions.

I think (for me) one of the best threads is the 'what we did at scouts/cubs/beavers/Explorers last night'. It's a simple thread, no flimflam or opinion - just what you did and if it worked. If everyone (habitual commenters and lurkers) added to it, it would become a powerful program tool.

But, I digress. (Hypocrite that I am... )

Thanks
    Thanked 2,762 Times in 1,490 Posts

Ah, but if they were to register, of heaven forfend contribute, they would show their hand and not be able to claim that they "never look at Escouts" - which of course they always have done.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Ah, but if they were to register, of heaven forfend contribute, they would show their hand and not be able to claim that they "never look at Escouts" - which of course they always have done.
    Whenever I mention escouts at local scout things, invariably they'll have seen it when searching for something on google, and a fair percentage of time after that they'll say "and I saw what you posted".
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks

Agreed, dont think the % figures of those that read, and those that post has changed much at all, in all the years we've had the forum, I dont think that restricting access would achieve anything, other that stop Escouts coming up on google etc

Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    What's good about this forum is, if you ask a question, you still get a good range of answers in amongst all the tangents and opinions.
    Yeah I try and avoid giving even Scouting advice on Facebook now, even if I have given the factual answer, it often gets ignored or argued against, as there is no acknowledgement of my (or others) knowledge or experience. The discussion threads in Facebook are terrible for a real discussion, and the quantity, and quality is often very alarming.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,762 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Yeah I try and avoid giving even Scouting advice on Facebook now, even if I have given the factual answer, it often gets ignored or argued against, as there is no acknowledgement of my (or others) knowledge or experience. The discussion threads in Facebook are terrible for a real discussion, and the quantity, and quality is often very alarming.

If the truth doesn't fit - expect abuse. Better out of it.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    I have to feel a) passionate enough to want to answer and b) confident enough in the validity of my answer, to bother to post. I couldn’t count the number of responses to points or questions that I have spent minutes crafting and yet at the critical moment of "post quick reply" I've decided "nope, I cannot be bothered to defend this". I lurk in many places but, frankly, life's too short to contribute routinely.
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark W For This Useful Post:

Cl1v3 (11-01-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I have to feel a) passionate enough to want to answer and b) confident enough in the validity of my answer, to bother to post. I couldn’t count the number of responses to points or questions that I have spent minutes crafting and yet at the critical moment of "post quick reply" I've decided "nope, I cannot be bothered to defend this". I lurk in many places but, frankly, life's too short to contribute routinely.
    I’d add a c). I mostly read on a phone and often CBA to try and type anything more than a few words on the damn thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk