Thread: Digital Citizen and Digital Maker Badges

Thanks

Digital Citizen and Digital Maker Badges

Hi,

My cubs have asked to do the Digital maker and digital citizen badges later this year and I've no idea how to deliver these badges to a group of Cubs! I understand how to do all of the stages, and their parts but not how to make them into an activity that the Cubs can do.

I'm going to start with the digital maker stage 1 and the first requirement is to connect peripherals to a PC. How can I make that fun and interesting? My Cub pack has 4 sixes so will have one six on each computer and then run another activity with the other two sixes and then swap back.

Thanks in advance for any help and tips.
    Michael Hawley
    Cub Scout Leader (Falcon Pack)
    1st Ripley Scout Group (Derbyshire)
    www.1stRipleyScouts.org | www.twitter.com/1stRipleyScouts
    and District Youth Commissioner
    Ripley and Heanor District
    www.twitter.com/michaelhawley95

Thanks
    I've offered this as something to do at home for the Beavers to do over Christmas. We haven't got the facilities to do this on a meeting.

Our Scouts have done it as part of the JOTI

Thanks
    There are activity packs for digital maker stages 1 and 2: https://members.scouts.org.uk/suppor...30&moduleID=10

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kev For This Useful Post:

michaelh95 (25-09-2016)

Thanks
    Haven't (yet) done it with Cubs, but with Beavers, I brought in 2 old laptops from home (one had Windows, the other didn't). I split the Colony into 3 groups, and did a round-robin style session so they each got 10 minutes at each activity. Activities were:

- Table 1: non-windows Laptop, lots of peripherals to connect, then turn it on and test each one, while discussing why each thing is useful. Bonus if they can name the Operating System!
    - Table 2: copy a printed picture on MS Paint, working as a team to get every detail right (I gave them a banner of our Beavers colony name, which I now use on posters!)
    - Table 3: no laptop, lots of paper and pens, they designed their own games and explained to the adults how they would work.

I started the game with a simple game where the kids were named after computer parts and I shouted them out (similar to 'fruit salad' etc) to set the mood.

I then followed up with another night where we designed websites on paper together, etc.

No internet connection was required for any of this, and the laptops were old so there was no real risk if they broke them. They absolutely loved showing off how much they knew - more than the adults in some cases!

Beaver Scout Leader (level: newbie)
    Rastrick St Matthew's (Brighouse District)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eltweeno For This Useful Post:

Bannside_dno (09-10-2016),michaelh95 (25-09-2016)

Thanks
    You might find something useful here: https://teachinglondoncomputing.org/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kev For This Useful Post:

michaelh95 (25-09-2016)

Thanks
    Have a look around and see if there is a local "Code Club" type of organisation. We were lucky in that one of our cubs parents runs one of these so he was able to come with a number of laptops and tablets, so with the addition of a couple of mine and some parents being willing to lend us a couple we managed to have enough for one between two. Can't remember all the things they did but making short animations in "Scratch" was one of them.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

michaelh95 (25-09-2016)

Thanks
    I bought some cloned Arduino Uno boards, some breadboards wires and leds. The cubs picked up the C+ programming language much easier than me! ( a lot of them do Scratch at school which is similar) and we soon had leds flashing, and chasing each other, pulsing in time etc. Digi maker done in about three weeks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bernwood View Post
    I bought some cloned Arduino Uno boards, some breadboards wires and leds. The cubs picked up the C+ programming language much easier than me! ( a lot of them do Scratch at school which is similar) and we soon had leds flashing, and chasing each other, pulsing in time etc. Digi maker done in about three weeks.
    Nice one
    Do you have a suite of PCs for them to use?
    Martin (GSL & acting CSL)

Thanks
    only had one laptop so we did the programming on paper with them first. I had a big list of commands and parameters , plus some grammer rules for C+ up on a white board, they found it easier to debug and sort mistakes that way, then got them to type it in and sent it to the board via USB cable.