This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    We had quite a good session last night. It was the first one back after the Easter holidays, so we knew everyone would be a bit skittish!

We're trying to work towards the My World challenge badge. So, with the St George's Day parade coming up this weekend, we did a bit of a celebration of British things. We split the Colony into two teams, and had one team learning a traditional song (Grand Old Duke Of York, with the history explained - in retrospect that was probably a bit young for them, we might try Greensleeves next time!). The other team went outside to do some traditional games - caber tossing (with lengths of pipe lagging), welly whanging and egg and spoon race. We then swapped. The Beavers also tried some traditional foods from around the UK - haggis, black pudding, Staffordshire oatcakes, Orkney oatcakes, Eccles cakes, Welsh cakes and different cheeses. To do them credit, most of them tried everything, including the haggis!

We also talked about St George - I told them a bit about his history and the legend of killing the dragon.

As we then had a few minutes spare before the parents of new Beavers arrived for investiture, we played a game of dodgeball. (Our Beavers are obsessed with dodgeball - it's the game they ask for more than any other.)

I had to shout a bit to make myself heard, as they were all getting very loud, but standing still and sticking my hand in the air worked well too. (As they know that until everyone is facing me, with their hand in the air and not talking, the evening won't progress.)

So - still winging it (I was only invested as a BSL on 23 March, with absolutely no prior experience either of Scouting or of working with children!) but it's going OK.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgie For This Useful Post:

ianw (21-04-2017)

Thanks
    Last night we had a traditional games outside on the grounds and played games like Piggy in the Middle, Marbles and Hopscotch. We even had a grass fight which Badger may or may not have started (me)

Beavers absolutely loved it and best of all one of the parents came forward and said they wanted to be a leader. Was only last month that another did the same. So now I've got 4 leaders including myself so I'm totally made up.
    Proud Beaver Scout Leader of a bunch of ankle biters.

Thanks
    We practiced cleaning a small (fake) cut to the finger, and popping on a plaster. Included a bit about calling 999 (although kept it informal as we have already covered it in depth).
    Last edited by lakes_stu; 29-04-2017 at 06:53 AM.
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    Hi, I'm ABL with 1st Truro, (1st post as only recently found this forum) anyway we took our oldest Beavers on their 2nd Camp in as many months, the 10 Beavers are moving up to cubs in September, this 2nd camp allowed us to complete some outstanding badge work that we have not started with the younger Beavers, giving some of them the opportunity to gain their 2nd bronze award (old/new), they had a great 24hrs as did we.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to keeo@1st-Truro For This Useful Post:

hippysurfer (30-04-2017)

Thanks
    We went into the woods, explored, climbed trees and made Andy Goldsworthy inspired art using only natural materials that we found on the forest floor.

[/IMG]

[IMG]]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamieson90 For This Useful Post:

roger-uk (21-05-2017)

Thanks
    We made our own sundials, and introduced the Beavers to compasses in order to get them pointing the right way.

Blogged here...

http://1stwoodhall.ukscouts.org.uk/s...avers-meeting/

Thoughts and comments on this page are very welcome. As you can see, at the bottom there are a few items that need to be drawn to parents attention - and we will be doing so using this and other channels until the issues are at least partly resolved.

Excuse the black blobs on the photos, some of them were wearing name badges.
    Last edited by lakes_stu; 26-05-2017 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Requesting feedback
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    You know, I might have had my (minor) issues with Beavers recently, but there is nothing quite like getting home stinking of woodsmoke

Thanks
    We were ambitious for Father's day this year, and made key racks with the Beavers out of sticks: each Beaver cut their stick down to size and each one used a hammer and nail to start the holes for the hooks to go in, and then screwed their own hooks mostly. Roped in every adult I could find, and a few scouts as well, but went well!
    Michelle Barlow

BSL for 3rd Codnor

Thanks
    Ours did a scavenger hunt on Hengistbury Head (http://www.hengistbury-head.co.uk/). Great to be outside

Jonathan

GSL

ex-Chairman
    49th Bournemouth (St. Katherines) Air Scouts
    NSRA YPS Tutor (Air Rifles)

Thanks
    We held a Space themed sleepover at our church hall over the weekend from Fri - Sat.

We had dinner straight away once we'd welcomed the Beavers, played lots of games, took pictures of the Beavers using the Green Screen App so they appeared in space, roasted marshmallows and hotdogs on our firepit outside for supper, and then watched Despicable Me 2 on the rear church wall using our projector and sound system before bed. Morning after was breakfast, tidying up and a visit to the local park before pick up.

Here is one of our Beavers in Space using the Green Screen.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    This looks like a lot of fun, which green screen app did you use?

Thanks
    We played Spoon Roulette which they loved but mainly because of the food which they had to eat if the spoon lands on you. This was introduced as mashed maggots or elephant snot! (orange or green baby food)
    I did stress all food was edible and no one had to try it at all. No one seemed keen until one or two brave ones said they will try it and they worked out the orange one tasted like a fruit smoothy and they were much more keen then and I was fighting them off! They had great fun encouraging the leaders to try them!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to adrianeaton For This Useful Post:

Ian R Pearson (28-06-2017)

Thanks
    Last night before summer hols for us. Weather changed so planned forest visit changed to teddy bears picnic in Scout Hall which sounds a bit tame. So we got Beavers to throw their teddy bears (really any soft toy) in the air to land on roof beams then throw more toys up to try and dislodge stuck ones. Of course after 10 minutes all toys ended up on beams and challenge was to get them down. Anyway passed the time quickly! Beavers all enjoyed it, one said he would not be allowed to do this at home. No beams pressumably!
    Ian Pearson
    BSL and ABSL at Reay and 2nd Thurso
    Caithness
    ADC Beaver Scouts Caithness
    TA

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianeaton View Post
    Green Screen by Do Inc https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gree...730091131?mt=8

You'll need some form of material to act as the screen too.On the App you can use blue, red, orange and yellow too but green works best. We used a lime green camp bed stood up against a wall.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adrianeaton View Post
    Green Screen by Do Inc https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gree...730091131?mt=8

You'll need some form of material to act as the screen too.On the App you can use blue, red, orange and yellow too but green works best. We used a lime green camp bed stood up against a wall.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamieson90 For This Useful Post:

adrianeaton (29-06-2017)

Thanks
    I planned a safety night in advance of the summer hols, so one base doing beach safety and another outside practising crossing the road. After weeks of dodgy neckers, I added a third base for ironing and rolling neckers!
    Michelle Barlow

BSL for 3rd Codnor

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast