Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What we did at beavers last night...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,865 Times in 1,195 Posts

What we did at beavers last night...

As it says in the subject... What did you do last night? No idea too big or too small

Thanks
    We had a chap from WaterAid come and speak, if they had been a colony who sat and listened we would have been ok but they wriggled and he wasn't very very engaging until he got to building toilets and then we got lots of poo questions. His talk only lasted 15 minutes so I had to do some on the hoof relevant games but we ended up yet again with dodgeball.

Nothing is working in terms of getting the group we have to sit and pay attention, if I announce a game they run around like loonies before I have had time to explain the rules. Standing and waiting makes no odds, they just carry on by themselves!! More table based activities.. 10 mins tops.. Next two weeks we are leaving the building going to Tesco and then park in the dark!
    'Simba'

Thanks
    We cut out a large black Beaver that looked like the sky. Then cut out some pictures of fireworks to stick them on said Beaver. Games included magic shoes and captains coming but we alos played toilet tag which I havent played for a few years.

Ian
    Ian Pearson
    BSL and ABSL at Reay and 2nd Thurso
    Caithness
    ADC Beaver Scouts Caithness
    TA

Thanks
    We had a bonfire evening. We played a wide game looking for balls in the dark then we had camp fire songs, jokes, yells etc. Then we cooked sausages on a fire, toasted marshmallows and waved sparklers. We did it in a different order for the two Colonies due to timings of darkness.

Nigel
    Sunny Norfolk Broads
    ABSL 1st Hoveton and Wroxham Sea Scouts
    www.hovetonandwroxhamscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    We made guys and played large scale connect 4
    Martin (GSL & acting CSL)

Thanks
    We cooked hot dog sausages on the campfire and launched water rockets! (I built a rocket launcher beforehand which was a combination of these two guides.)

http://makezine.com/projects/water-rocket-launcher/
    http://www.instructables.com/id/wate...cher/?ALLSTEPS

water_rockets.jpg

Thanks
    We made firework pictures from shredded loo rolls, and then made a guy.
    Michelle Barlow

BSL for 3rd Codnor

Thanks
    We had someone come in with lots of African drums and other instruments and had a noisy evening. As all three sections meet on the same night, Cubs and Scouts also had drumming workshops - we had warned the neighbours in advance!
    Fiona
    BSL - Astwood Bank Scout Group

Thanks
    We had someone come in with lots of African drums and other instruments and had a noisy evening. As all three sections meet on the same night, Cubs and Scouts also had drumming workshops - we had warned the neighbours in advance!
    Fiona
    BSL - Astwood Bank Scout Group

Thanks
    We ran around in the dark looking for signs of autumn using torches.

Thanks
    We had 3 bases running which the Beavers alternated between in small groups throughout the night.

Base 1 Experiment Badge: Erupting Volcanoes using plastic cups, tin foil, plasticine, vinegar, red food colouring and bicarbonate soda.

Base 2: Experiment Badge: Liquid towers looking at the densities of liquids and what liquids mix and which ones don't using bottles, milk, maple syrup, vegetable oil and coloured water.

Base 3: Archery Adventure Badge: Beavers trying an adventurous activity and practising their Archery.

Proved to be an absolutely brilliant night and I think we'll do more bases in the future as they're great for at letting the Beavers try lots of things and keeping their attention.
    Proud Beaver Scout Leader of a bunch of ankle biters.

Thanks
    We played a new game (ladders!) which was chaotic but they got there in the end.

Then, we got out the paints for the first time EVER and painted the ends of 500ml bottles to look like poppies. Add a few green paper leaves, and have a couple of young leaders with a glue gun and a polystyrene wreath, and we had ourselves a Beaver-made poppy wreath for this Sunday!

Definitely a great success with the paints, it resembled a scene from 'Dexter' as I'd gone a bit overboard covering every surface (shared church hall), but we'll definitely be painting again in the future!

Still need some serious work (and patience) on the behaviour front though...any tips welcome!

Beaver Scout Leader (level: newbie)
    Rastrick St Matthew's (Brighouse District)

Thanks
    We painted giant gingerbread men for a gingerbread men trail which is going to be set round the villages this Christmas.

As usual, the Beavers got paint everywhere. One girl with blonde hair now has red highlights.

https://www.facebook.com/events/5540...78526300567297

Nigel
    Norfolk Broads
    Last edited by Hatman; 07-11-2016 at 11:53 PM.
    ABSL 1st Hoveton and Wroxham Sea Scouts
    www.hovetonandwroxhamscouts.org.uk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hatman For This Useful Post:

big chris (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    We had 2 bases. Base 1 talked about what the word 'courage' means and asked the Beavers to think about times they have had to be brave. Went on to introduce John Cornwell and explain what he did.

Base 2 made poppies and gave them context with the following which the Beavers all fully understood and I make no apology for:

The Leeds Pals were a group of about 800 men that formed at the start of the First World War. They were all from Leeds, and were volunteers because the British army was very small at that time. The Leeds Pals became the 15th Battalion, The West Yorkshire Regiment.

Some of the battles the Leeds Pals fought in were around the Somme river in northern France, 100 years ago. On the first day of the first battle, they had to capture a town called Serre. This town was on the top of a hill and very heavily defended. At 7:28am on the morning of 1st July 1916 whistles blew to start an attack and the men of the Leeds Pals climbed out of their trenches and started to make their way uphill towards the town.

Nearly 250 of them died doing this.

At 1st Woodhall, we remember the Leeds Pals, and all those who have given so much for the freedom that we enjoy. Scarlet Corn Poppies were the first flowers to grow once the battles had stopped, and this is how we remember.

All in all it was a successful and thought provoking night.
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    Green Cross Code tonight - towards My Adventure Challenge.

We used materials from the government's Think! road safety campaign, including posters and a story/case study.

Then we went outside and used the drive to practice stop, look, listen. Those that were into it talked to us about finding a safe place to cross, not running etc. It wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but it was still a really good meeting.

Big news too, we have recruited a new ABSL. Welcome Badger!
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast