Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What we did at cubs last night...

Thanks
    We did road safety and science. Why salt is used to melt ice and how it works to keep surfaces ice free.
    We then tested the science of this by making ice cream in a plastic bag which was a success in >3/4 of the cases and those that didn't get full ice cream managed to end up with a thick milkshake type thing. (Where it didn't fully work I think they had a bit to much milkshake to begin with so we also learnt about (available) energy transfer!!)
    Chris

Akela - 8th Mirfield
    Heavy Woollen District

Thanks
    We had a Remembrance Sleepover at the Hut. Lots of bits of war thinking, cooked floddies https://the1940sexperiment.com/2010/...tato-floddies/, made cotton-reel tanks, wrote letters from home to the unknown soldier on Paddington Station https://www.1418now.org.uk/letter/, made trenches (from cardboard boxes) and slept in them. Then in the morning got the Hut ready to welcome Scouts, Beavers and Brownies to a Remembrance service. (A lad who used to be a Cub picked up his trumpet for the first time in two years and practiced for two weeks so he could sound the Last Post for us.)
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    We made Sushi and Origami models..... Worked out surprisingly less trouble than I expected!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nevynxxx For This Useful Post:

big chris (25-11-2016)

Thanks
    I was unexpectedly presented a wood badge certificate then we played a game a bit like hockey involving broom handles and a hula hoop then went outside and did fires and marshmallows.
    Stephen Lawrence

Cub Scout Leader
    Training Advisor
    14th Aberdeen Scout Group
    14th Aberdeen Facebook Page

Thanks
    "Ready, Steady, MasterBurger Bake Off!"

Cubs prepared & cooked burgers using recipes they had devised last week. Judged on taste by GSL. No reported cases of food poisoning (yet!).
    Kate, CSL (and GDB(S))
    1st Weald Brook Scout Group
    Brentwood, Essex
    www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

Thanks
    Each Six made a device to remotely fire a party popper. Lash together a pyramid (tetrahedron) from broomsticks. Attach something (a woggle works) to hold the party popper at the top, facing up. Start with a string running under one of the bottom poles and across the hall to pull the popper. When that works replace with a falling weight and release mechanism. Not forgetting a safety device to prevent the weight falling before you're ready. The party poppers had the streamers removed, so they could be used instead to fire a table tennis ball. And a loop tied beforehand in the string, to allow the firing string to be easily attached.

If interrogated, do not say it was a workshop on homemade mortars!
    John Russell

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JohnR For This Useful Post:

eskibrew (06-12-2016),hippysurfer (06-12-2016),nevynxxx (06-12-2016),pa_broon74 (07-12-2016),sjl14 (06-12-2016)

Thanks
    Played a game outside with a light up Frisbee and two teams, each with different coloured "sashes" made from glow sticks. Rules based on touch rugby - stop when tagged and throw the Frisbee. Saw it done when at a family Cub camp in Virginia - glowsticks are much bigger there.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bryceek For This Useful Post:

ianw (07-12-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Each Six made a device to remotely fire a party popper. Lash together a pyramid (tetrahedron) from broomsticks. Attach something (a woggle works) to hold the party popper at the top, facing up. Start with a string running under one of the bottom poles and across the hall to pull the popper. When that works replace with a falling weight and release mechanism. Not forgetting a safety device to prevent the weight falling before you're ready. The party poppers had the streamers removed, so they could be used instead to fire a table tennis ball. And a loop tied beforehand in the string, to allow the firing string to be easily attached.

If interrogated, do not say it was a workshop on homemade mortars!
    I hate to rain on your parade, but I think that was illegal (see here: https://www.dacorum.gov.uk/docs/defa....pdf?sfvrsn=0)

Party poppers are fireworks. It is illegal to tamper with fireworks. They are not adult fireworks, but they are fireworks. You might just want to check.
    The long march through the institutions is nearly complete.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihatecamping View Post
    I hate to rain on your parade, but I think that was illegal (see here: https://www.dacorum.gov.uk/docs/defa....pdf?sfvrsn=0)

Party poppers are fireworks. It is illegal to tamper with fireworks. They are not adult fireworks, but they are fireworks. You might just want to check.
    Hmm, I think I would take that risk.

I wonder how many people have been arrested for "tampering with a party popper" since the Explosives Act 1875 came into force? I would hazard a guess that this type of activity was not high on the list of things this legislation was intended to deal with.

All the best.

Thanks
    We did a Nerf night. Was meant to be more structured than the last time we did it but ended up a bit of a free for all. Still good fun though!
    Stephen Lawrence

Cub Scout Leader
    Training Advisor
    14th Aberdeen Scout Group
    14th Aberdeen Facebook Page

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hippysurfer View Post
    Hmm, I think I would take that risk.

I wonder how many people have been arrested for "tampering with a party popper" since the Explosives Act 1875 came into force? I would hazard a guess that this type of activity was not high on the list of things this legislation was intended to deal with.

All the best.
    I could be all holier-than-thou and say that I don't pick and chose which laws I obey, but then a quick look at my driving licence might suggest otherwise...
    The long march through the institutions is nearly complete.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 855 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihatecamping View Post
    I could be all holier-than-thou and say that I don't pick and chose which laws I obey, but then a quick look at my driving licence might suggest otherwise...
    I was very nearly charged for a different 'offence' under different circumstance whilst on Scout maneuvers some time ago - would do what I did again? Yup. Its not related to this thread so I won't go into it, but I'd do the party popper activity - comparing something which is so outdated and harmless (my only caveat would be not letting the kids take the party popper apart), to driving outwith the constraints of your licence is a bit OTT and not a useful comparison.

(Might be useful to note that the same law which prohibits the taking apart of party poppers also enforces fines for people letting fireworks off in the street... Imagine the police prosecuting a Cub Leader for the former whilst the latter goes on unhindered... This is rather close to what happened during our brush with Smokey. )

Also, can anyone remember going round the table at Xmas parties and removing the 'snaps' from all the crackers, (also apparently a category 1 indoor firework), then taping them all together and yanking them all in one go?

Only me then...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    (my only caveat would be not letting the kids take the party popper apart)
    No, I took the party poppers apart. Well, winkled the streamers out with a penknife. I admit it, m'Lud.

However, on a previous occasion a few years ago one Six having worked up to a drop weight device that relied on letting go of a string decided to go one better for the next go. They extracted the pop from the popper and taped it to the string, hoping that the pop would be enough to cut the string. It wasn't, of course. But I thought it was a brilliant idea and I was willing it to succeed.
    John Russell

Thanks
    Tried to get the cubs to understand space/time and the Higgs field when explaining Gravity as they first thought that the earth 'sucked' objects to it. Showed them how the earth bends space, and spent the next twenty minutes fielding questions about how much black holes bend it and what they are. My cubs are space mad!

nele
    Thanks
    I visited 2 of our packs this week and both were teaching first aid. As far as I know that was a coincidence as I don't think they plan together.
    Last night I popped into our neighbouring groups pack, as they needed a couple of badges urgently. They were doing an open evening for parents to raise money for charity as part of their community impact award. They had organised some entertainment, and a bake sale and were selling Christmas cards. They'd also brought in toys to donate. Apparently each six had decided what they would contribute. It was a really nice evening.