Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What we did at cubs last night...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bernwood View Post
    Tried to get the cubs to understand space/time and the Higgs field when explaining Gravity as they first thought that the earth 'sucked' objects to it. Showed them how the earth bends space, and spent the next twenty minutes fielding questions about how much black holes bend it and what they are. My cubs are space mad!
    In contrast, this week we made fires and cooked sausages! Space/time comes later in the term.
    The long march through the institutions is nearly complete.

Thanks
    We've been running a maps/navigation theme for the last few weeks - it started with the idea of helping to quickly get a bunch of new kids to the pack (who hadn't come through Beavers) used to the site - so we gave them an old plan of the site and took them for a walk around, and then gave them a blank outline and asked them to create an up to date map from what they'd actually seen (like the old boat half buried in the undergrowth that no-one quite knows the origins of!).

The following week we worked on compass points and map symbols - the OS website does some printable flash cards which conveniently make nice map symbol quiz sheets if you prefer.

This week we worked on grid references - based on an idea on here, put together an outline of an island with a grid over it and then gave them an itinerary for an imaginary camping trip. Their task was to mark the relevant landmarks that they'd see on their trip on the map - so for example went for a walk to the lighthouse at 9430.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    This week we played wide games at local camp site - however as it was a beautifully clear night we took a bit of time to star/planet gaze first.
    Kate, CSL (and GDB(S))
    1st Weald Brook Scout Group
    Brentwood, Essex
    www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

Thanks
    We made 2 ingredient pancakes (banana and eggs). We also did some prep for a walk next week that will finish off the navigator badge and start off the naturalist. Not to be confused with a similar sounding word as one of the cubs kept calling it! ��
    Stephen Lawrence

Cub Scout Leader
    Training Advisor
    14th Aberdeen Scout Group
    14th Aberdeen Facebook Page

Thanks
    Elephant team pursuit racing.

Each Six made an elephant - 4 broomsticks lashed together into a 'noughts and crosses' framework. Four Cubs carried the framework by each end of the 2 crosspieces (being the legs of the elephant). A fifth Cub (the smallest) sat on the elephant. Two teams raced pursuit style - each starting on opposite sides of the course round the hall, the team that caught the other was the winner. If the rider falls off the elephant has to stop until they remount. If the elephant comes apart, well, they get caught don't they. Teams waiting their go do running repairs.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

Thanks
    Not last night, I admin, but last weekend. A fun day of district Cubs 5-a-side football..

http://1stwoodhall.ukscouts.org.uk/d...ll-tournament/
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    We recently made bread and butter. Cost about 10 for double cream, plus a bit of flour. Every Cub brought in a jam jar (some shared, because it's hard work). We half-filled it with cream, and they shook it till it turned into butter. It's great watching it turn into whipped cream, then separate into the butter and the buttermilk.

Then we took some of the buttermilk to make soda bread. It was surprising how yellow the bread was. It tasted great, though. We only had enough oven space to make one loaf, but everyone got some.

That all fitted into an hour.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ihatecamping For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (18-11-2017)

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Nice plan. Once accidentally did that with a kitchen aid while whipping some cream....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Cover parts of Road Safety and personal safety.

Refresh from last term first aid.
    2 emergency numbers, 999, 112
    4 emergency services Fire, Police, ambulance, Coast guard

important of get the fact over, Where, What, whom/home many

A running round game: Police-Run, Fire -on all fours, Ambulance-backwards, Coast Guard-Hop.

Covered being safe:
    Walking near / across roads, safe place to cross , be seen, Green cross code
    Car safety - seatbelt, do not distract driver, do not lean / throw thing out of windows.
    Cycling safety helmet, be seen, lights, pendle safely.
    Stranger danger

The 3 types of road signs (Order - Red Circles, Warning , Red Triangles, Info rectange blue / green etc)

Then in pairs identified road sign and spot dangers in road picture

Then put traffic lights in order and right way up.

Finally a running around game, Green Run, Yello walk, Red Stop, Blue change directions.

Next week is a night hike crossing roads from scout hut to a lake. more safety bases.
    Robert Walker CSL
    34th Reigate (Meadvale)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bagheera34 For This Useful Post:

Ihatecamping (25-01-2018)

Thanks
    How do I persuade helpers that, when I want the Cubs to produce a poster about road safety, then I don't want to receive a poster, I want the Cubs to think about road safety and use the poster as a way to put their ideas in some sort of structure?

It drives me nuts that people try to 'help' the Cubs, by doing it for them. They don't seem to understand that most of the posters will be recycled within 48 hours, whereas getting them to decide not to run across the road without looking should stay with them forever.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ihatecamping For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (18-04-2018),shiftypete (18-04-2018)

Thanks
    Same with cooking. I do not want you to take over and produce something edible. I want them to be able to cook for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to claire.shadbolt For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (19-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihatecamping View Post
    How do I persuade helpers that, when I want the Cubs to produce a poster about road safety, then I don't want to receive a poster, I want the Cubs to think about road safety and use the poster as a way to put their ideas in some sort of structure?

It drives me nuts that people try to 'help' the Cubs, by doing it for them. They don't seem to understand that most of the posters will be recycled within 48 hours, whereas getting them to decide not to run across the road without looking should stay with them forever.
    They are parents right? Then they need their parameters redefining. By you. They're used to school where "build a model saxon house" is mummy or daddy saying "stick that there NO NOT THERE! Give it here!" and a bit of paint slopped on by the kid and tidied up by mummy long into the night so her precious prince(ss) can be really proud. This is especially true if said item will be "on display" and seen by other parents. See also easter bonnets etc. The teachers see through it instantly of course, but there's just about chuff all they can do about it.

And on cooking, yeah, agreed, otherwise they'll get to Explorers and try and produce "caramel peas". I think we had to throw that billy away, or use a drill with a wire brush on to get it off. I'll forgive tuna & bacon as it actually worked.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (19-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 802 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by claire.shadbolt View Post
    Same with cooking. I do not want you to take over and produce something edible. I want them to be able to cook for themselves.
    I think the only way is to tell the helpers that in advance quite bluntly if necessary. E.g. please do NOT do it for them as that will entirely miss the point which is for them to do it themselves.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

19. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

Airobat (26-04-2018)

Thanks
    This week we have an outdoor activity planned. I have been asked to prepare a wet-weather alternative. 'The same thing with a coat on' was, apparently, not what people were thinking of.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ihatecamping For This Useful Post:

Epona (26-04-2018),KingstonCubber (25-04-2018),pa_broon74 (25-04-2018),shiftypete (25-04-2018)

Thanks
    This week we have an outdoor activity planned. I have been asked to prepare a wet-weather alternative. 'The same thing with a coat on' was, apparently, not what people were thinking of.
    That's my plan every week! We did athletics in coats last week, and orienteering in coats this week.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bluesam3 For This Useful Post:

ianw (02-05-2018)