Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: What we did at scouts last night...

Thanks
    We did it a year ago. We prepared photocopied booklets so that they had something to take home to parents. Participation and discussion in the meeting was good, and we agreed a personal and a leader's challenge for each person.

I think I've had one booklet back with completed challenges so far
    SL, 11th Hitchin

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DKRSL For This Useful Post:

big chris (14-02-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DKRSL View Post
    I think I've had one booklet back with completed challenges so far
    Well that's my concern. That said, we've done it now and most of their challenges are over 2-4 weeks so we shall see.

Thanks
    An old favourite tonight. Half the troop did knotting practice on the pole whilst the other half did a troop forum type session. Were supposed to swap round but ran out of time as we had to leave room for the main event

Thanks
    Made pancakes

Cooked pancakes

Tossed pancakes

Ate pancakes.

Pancakes. Hmmmm..... lovely sugary lemony pancakes.

Do it all over again next year yeah?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CambridgeSkip For This Useful Post:

London Scouter (25-02-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,190 Times in 864 Posts
    More knife and axe work, including safety. We split small logs to make feather sticks, made barbed fish hook/spears, rough-sharpened medium stobs and made the feather sticks.

The end result wasn't as important as developing skills/safety with sharp implements.

One or two minor nicks and cuts with one quite nasty cut which was borderline needed-a-stitch.

We're playing with fluffy animals and cotton wool next week.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Most of ours had a "youth shaped" evening which was run by both our District and County Youth Commissioners. From the noise they were making in the main hall they were obviously having fun!

A group of 10 of the older ones were continuing their work towards their Million Hands Project, with a visit from a lady from MIND to talk to them about mental health. It was enlightening to see just how much some of the scouts actually knew about mental health, and how the "joking around" about it was so much less by the end of the evening once they'd realised the severity of what they were talking about. It made a change to just sit at the back of the room and not have to do anything.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    We're playing with fluffy animals and cotton wool next week.
    Skinning rabbits and lighting fires? }

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nevynxxx For This Useful Post:

Epona (07-03-2017),pa_broon74 (24-02-2017),richardnhunt (24-02-2017)

Thanks
    We had a guy down to talk to the Scouts (and Explorers) about Drug Addiction and the effects. He was really good and you could have heard a pin drop. Several of them had heard him at school but wanted to hear him again. Google Paul Hannaford - he does talks all over the country.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeSkip View Post
    Made pancakes

Cooked pancakes

Tossed pancakes

Ate pancakes.

Pancakes. Hmmmm..... lovely sugary lemony pancakes.

Do it all over again next year yeah?
    That's what we were supposed to be doing. Unfortunately, we cancelled, because two leaders (one of them me) got stuck at Kings Cross owing to a certain Doris.
    SL, 11th Hitchin

Thanks
    I can't find where we stole it from on here (I was going to say thank you but instead have 3 other ideas....), but we had a good result with "give teams a selection of random things and ask them to prepare a 2 minute performance." event.

50% doing this at any time, 50% doing bases.

A real range from high comedy (pastiche of titanic) to storytelling. We had to add in originality as a concept though - some definite copywrite infringements from previous groups!! And, a section of Creative challenge ticked off for loads who were there. So, a massive thank you to the unknown leader who inspired us with this.

Really good start to the night with a young leader volunteering to run a game, having just been on module whatever - the games one. It worked well and he adjusted well to a setback. Very impressed.

Rich

Thanks
    This week paper challenge night we stole off of 1st Facebook/OSM. It is pitched at Cubs, but it is was a good filler when our original program took a hit.

First build a paper aeroplane and a competition to see how far it goes.

Then build a cup from your piece of paper, balance it on your head them a relay race to collect malteasers and transport them in the cup.

This was a great one for listening, e.g. Making a cone which needed to be held doesn't meet all the specifications. Plus great for ingenuity. We have a fair few of African decent and they found they could pin the cup to their hair using a pencil, or in one case their braids.

Then using the pieces of paper to get the troop from one end of the hall to the other.

You could tell who has done similar ones before as one patrol just scooted across, properly and in half the time.

Then screw up the paper to be snowballs and play time bomb.

Again, strategy at work. Left hand top corner had a strategy of throwing everything to right hand top corner. Likewise righthand bottom corner were throghing everything at righthand top corner. The last corner just seemed to be feeders. So the one patrol with just three members were inundated and kept loosing. Even with throwing the YL into helping them.

Lastly they had to cut a hole into the paper to fit a person through it.

They all eventually got it, after some scratching of heads and some needing my clues than others.

Lastly I realised that we had just done 1/4 of air activities 1. So even though it was very basic they did too more of the requirements through chatting in their patrols.

A fun night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to claire.shadbolt For This Useful Post:

big chris (17-03-2017)

Thanks
    Plus I helped with one of our other troops this week. We made pancakes and did a ton of washing up.

Thanks
    Last week we did "what direction is it" and had a few activities, all of them game based.

The six figure grid regency battle ship game still didn't work that well. Nor did map symbols bingo. But the relay race worked well.

Two patrols behind a table each with an identical map. I give them a grid reference. They find the geographical feature at that point. One team member runs to the other end of the hall to pick up the matching grid reference and bring it back. On the back of the card is the next grid reference.

I did five cards. On the back of the last one was the question, "which church is this"? They had to go back to the last grid reference and work out where they were. It didn't take any of them long to work out/guess it was our sponsoring church.

I was surprised that I only had one scout that couldn't do the six figure grid references. I took time to explain them just to him and I could see the light bulb going off.

The other game that worked well was a simple map then five views that could be seen if you were in a certain place on the map. I.e. river in the foreground, then two houses, then some trees in the background. Find the river, find the houses next to the river, line up the three and work out the grid reference.

Thanks
    Just finished a 4 week patrol rotation Archery, Cooking ( east african theme some explorers are off to Uganda in the summer) Paracord woggles and the Meteorologist badge

Thanks
    Thanked 3,354 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Beckenham's Best Burger and Milkshake:

pretty simple, here are the instructions that we sent to the scouts:

Burgers
    We provide: a burger bun and burger patty . (Vegetarians – please bring your own burger. I don't have much luck buying the right veggie burger for you and they tend to end up in the bin)
    You provide: the ingredients for making the ultimate burger. (cheese, ketchup, onions, bacon, whatever else) You need enough for two. One for you and one, if your patrol agrees that yours is the best burger, for judging.
    Milkshakes
    We provide: some vanilla ice cream and some milk
    You provide: the ingredients for the ultimate milkshake. Again, enough for two milkshakes.

Here are some cameraphone pics:
    http://www.scoutsphotos.com/2017/Sco...s-Best-Burger/

Each kid preps a burger and then the patrol submits one for judging. Same for the milshake.

We bought 4 blenders.