Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: What we did at scouts last night...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 748 Posts
    Back out in the woods for the first time.

We took an Easy Stove, cotton wool balls infused with petroleum jelly, magnesium strikers. We also took an axe and saw, some bits of rope.

Scouts built some decent looking shelters with our new (and returned) helper (who is really keen and great with the kids and used to be a Scout himself).

We ran out of time with the Easy Stove and hot chocolate, but some of the younger Scouts did manage to get smaller fires going.

Fortunately the fire brigade was able to contain the bla-

I'M JOKING!

It was a good night in terms of activities, but they were a bit hyper - presumably due to being abroad for the first time this year, and possibly because of all that fresh air after a week of jumble collecting and the resultant miasmic fug it creates.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (04-05-2018)

Thanks
    Last night...

We got some 24hr MOD ration packs donated. It was really interesting, the young folk enjoyed trying the food - a lot of which they didn't necessarily enjoy the taste of. Powdery rice pudding, beans & pasta (which smelled, ummm, interesting...) And a tiny vial of hot sauce which turned out to be very hot indeed. High sugar drinks went down well (bet the parents were thrilled) as did the nuts and biscuits.

We then played some games with water balloons, as reported elsewhere, if you don't have a water balloon catapult, you should get one. And, playing Battleship is also popular. Split your troop (etc) in two, get each team to space themselves out - never more than arms length from another Scout (etc). Teams then turn their backs on each other. We started of with one balloon for each team - which they have to lob over their shoulder. We increased it by one each turn so by the end, everyone has a balloon to lob. Those who get hit, stay where they are but can turn round to see what's going on.

P7's where away to York or some place with school. Last week we had 23, this week we had 12. That's kind of how we roll, quite big fluctuations in attendance... makes it hard to plan, but it is what it is.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    And, playing Battleship is also popular. Split your troop (etc) in two, get each team to space themselves out - never more than arms length from another Scout (etc). Teams then turn their backs on each other. We started of with one balloon for each team - which they have to lob over their shoulder. We increased it by one each turn so by the end, everyone has a balloon to lob. Those who get hit, stay where they are but can turn round to see what's going on..
    Stealing that for camp

Tents drying after cub camp on the weekend meant we had to go outside (no bad thing) so had a game of rounders followed by a wide game.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Peter SL 18th Bolton Horw notgonehome's Avatar
    Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    One patrol fruit tree planting the rest of the troop camp prep

Thanks
    A couple of weeks ago we got a Bat expert in to do a talk. We went for a walk in the woods at dusk afterwards. He brought some Bat listening gadgets along which divide down the frequency of the bat sounds to audible frequencies. You could tell what sort of Bats were flying around by the different sounds they made. We've spent the last two weeks building Bat boxes.

Thanks
    our local library lends out bat detectors. May be worth checking around your neck of the woods in case they do the same. great to take on nights out or camps

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    We bought each patrol a disposable barbecue (I know, yuck. but it's life skills right?) Two burgers, two sausages, two ciabatta buns and assorted salad. The challenge was to get the bbq going and serve up an aesthetically pleasing and properly cooked burger with salad and sausages on the side.

We took photos of what they produced and put them on our facebook page (Longniddry Scouts), parents etc have been invited to 'like' who they thought did the best.

Scouts did quite well. All the food was cooked through and disposable bbq's disposed of responsibly.

Thanks
    Laser Station tonight.

Already had parents saying kids are 'looking forward to it'.

Goes without saying, all scouts bar one are going - the one that isn't is in Sweden (as you do)...

Its going to be mental...

Oh well...

Thanks
    Laser Station tonight.

Already had parents saying kids are 'looking forward to it'.

Goes without saying, all scouts bar one are going - the one that isn't is in Sweden (as you do)...

Its going to be mental...

Oh well...
    All good last night.

Definitely something to be said of an activity that lets you hand 22 hyper scouts to another person, allowing you and fellow leaders to go and sip Slush Puppies in peace for half an hour.

The only other interesting/alarming thing that happened was - after they'd finished, they assaulted the arcades next door. We were sitting with the remains of our Slushies, and more than one scout came out asking me (not sure why my fellow leaders were immune) for more money. For a moment, I knew what it was like to be a parent.

Goes without saying, I told them with not a little force: "I am not your parent."

Thanks
    All good last night.

Definitely something to be said of an activity that lets you hand 22 hyper scouts to another person, allowing you and fellow leaders to go and sip Slush Puppies in peace for half an hour.

The only other interesting/alarming thing that happened was - after they'd finished, they assaulted the arcades next door. We were sitting with the remains of our Slushies, and more than one scout came out asking me (not sure why my fellow leaders were immune) for more money. For a moment, I knew what it was like to be a parent.

Goes without saying, I told them with not a little force: "I am not your parent."

Are the other leaders parents? They may already have had the 'You're getting nothing from me' face on.
    The long march through the institutions is nearly complete.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihatecamping View Post
    Are the other leaders parents? They may already have had the 'You're getting nothing from me' face on.
    No. We have parent/leaders...

I like to think its my door-is-always-open* demeanour...

* Except when it's closed...

Thanks
    At Scouts on Thursday...

Scotland decided to have it's summer. So we went down the beach with water rockets and an exercise ball. We fired the former as high/far as we could, then blatted the latter around. Laterally, some of the Scouts wanted to go for a paddle. What they actually meant was a swim.

Rather them than me. It wasn't that warm...

Thanks
    At Scouts on Thursday...
    Laterally, some of the Scouts wanted to go for a paddle. What they actually meant was a swim.

Rather them than me. It wasn't that warm...
    Presumably it deterred the midges!
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wealdbrook For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (10-06-2018)

Peter SL 18th Bolton Horw notgonehome's Avatar
    Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Outside team games and planning for the scarecrow building finished with world cup sweep

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post
    Presumably it deterred the midges!
    Ah now...

You tend not to get midges down our way - certainly not by the sea. Go a bit further north and west though...

Yikes.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast