Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: What we did at scouts last night...

Thanks
    Just a quick hike round the village stopping off in the churchyard to look at a grave # AB Roger Piper died 1916 after the wreck of HM yacht MEKONG #
    He was the only scout from sussex to attend the first official Scout camp, held in August 1908, at
    Humshaugh

Humshaugh is a parish near Hexham in Northumberland,

2. The Following User Says Thank You to deekjcornwell For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (16-02-2019)

Thanks
    I learnt something there!
    SL, 11th Hitchin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 Times in 862 Posts
    Started the mechanics badge last night - with some tweaks.

Had a go-cart down, kids we're in about it doing pit stop runs with air driven tools - removing the wheels, testing pressures, changing plugs and mixing two stroke fuel. Also had a motorbike down too, kids were learning about suspension, drive chain, brakes, culminating in the start up process. They finished up there by starting the bike and giving the throttle two or three blips. The tennis players next door were thrilled, but not as thrilled as the scouts were, so, unlucky tennis club.

In the hall, the other half of the troop were doing road sign recognition, hazard perception tests online and racing remote control cars.

We'll swap round next week, then the week after, we're moving on to real cars, servicing, operation and all the rest of it.

It's not exactly what the Mechanics badge requires - one of the things under the motorcycle option is to change a road wheel. Who ever wrote it, obviously didn't have a bike - but we're covering all the major points.

Probably do pancakes in among it, just because it's what you do at this time of year.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

ianw (01-03-2019),nathan99 (01-03-2019),richardnhunt (01-03-2019)

Thanks
    Blindfold daisy chain navigation (yeah, the name needs some work)
    Cubs are blindfolded and scattered around the room with some obstacles (tables, chairs, leaders)
    Seconder is the retriever (also blindfolded) starts next to the sixer at the side of the room
    Sixer is the caller (not blindfolded)
    Sixer shouts instructions for the seconder (turn left, right, take X steps forward, stop, Retrieve)
    once the seconder finds a stranded cub they have to link up hand on shoulder to form a chain with the seconder in front
    once all cubs chained then must return to the sixer to complete the game

Played with a few sixes at a time so they need to listen carefully to which instruction they should follow (Red six, take 3 steps forward etc)

Obviously warn them to walk slowly and expect a few bumped shins

Thanks
    Did pancakes on Thursday there.

I only comment because, instead of giving scouts a mixing bowl or jug with the batter in it, we now fill up squeezy sauce bottles with mixture. It means they can draw pictures with the batter - but crucially, it's about a million times tidier. We no longer have to hose down stoves, Scouts, or the hall.

I was particularly impressed with all the cacti they were drawing... That's what they said they were...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

big chris (12-03-2019),claire.shadbolt (11-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,353 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    D

I was particularly impressed with all the cacti they were drawing... That's what they said they were...
    am too busy to think of a good prick joke so write your own. giggle. sorted.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (12-03-2019)

Thanks
    I've been involved for a long time, all my life almost... Been a leader since I was 18 (I'm 140 now)...

I've been SL for two and half years, so setting the tone and direction. We gave our first badge out two meetings ago.

We were never big on badges. The cubs were, we have to explain when they move up to Scouts that yes - we do lots of cool stuff, for which they could get badges... We tend not do bother, for various reasons...

But they all got their mechanics badge. So good for them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

ianw (02-04-2019)

Thanks
    For a long time we only had one Scout troop and they said the Scouts were not interested in gaining badges. They stay maintain that idea.

Yet the second troop that has been open about ten years is run by me. (I must check when the anniversary is!). We do have Scouts motivated to get badges.

We pull Cubs from the same two packs. They are mostly from the same Primary School and all go to around a dozen secondary schools. Yet some want badges and some donít.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claire.shadbolt View Post
    We pull Cubs from the same two packs. They are mostly from the same Primary School and all go to around a dozen secondary schools. Yet some want badges and some donít.
    Scouts reflect the leadership. And kids catch on pretty quick. If I was starting my Explorers again, I'd be harder on uniform, but we started without, as we predated the official startup a little, and I can't be bothered to rag them about it so....sometimes we'll run the same activity at two different units, and it'll be fine in one unit, and in the other it'll be a frustrating waste of time.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

big chris (03-04-2019)

Thanks
    Up till recently, we found it difficult to do badge work on meeting nights (which is how the mechanics badge was done - over the course of three meetings). However, our attendance has massively improved due to things just being a lot better. Better leader team, able to deliver better things to do (I had my motorbike down, another leader brought his racing go-cart.)

Having a decent team makes it all so much easier and better, and the young folk I think respond really well to having different adults to speak to. So unless there's something very specific on at school, we get all of them down.

Two of us went to the moving on ceremony our new Scouts had on leaving cubs. I think they got their silver award? There was a lot of pomp and occasion. The two of us were stood there shuffling out feet because we knew the badges they were getting might be the last.

But no. Cooks badge is next. (One of the leader team used to be a chef, it certainly won't be me leading it...)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,277 Posts
    the mechanics badge was done...Cooks badge is next.
    He says he doesn't do badges, but methinks he doth protest too much.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

BigBadBaloo (03-04-2019),nathan99 (04-04-2019),pa_broon74 (04-04-2019)

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks
    Started the mechanics badge last night - with some tweaks.

Had a go-cart down, kids we're in about it doing pit stop runs with air driven tools - removing the wheels, testing pressures, changing plugs and mixing two stroke fuel. Also had a motorbike down too, kids were learning about suspension, drive chain, brakes, culminating in the start up process. They finished up there by starting the bike and giving the throttle two or three blips. The tennis players next door were thrilled, but not as thrilled as the scouts were, so, unlucky tennis club.
    Likewise have started the mechanics badge. Had an outboard motor and generator on the bench to show two and four stroke engines and serviced the genny while I was at it. Now trying to arrange a visit to the local fire brigade workshops for the second part.

Last night took 23 scouts down the pub for skittles! Tight fisted so-and-sos wouldn't buy a round tho'.!!
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparkgap For This Useful Post:

ianw (04-04-2019),pa_broon74 (04-04-2019)

Thanks
    It's a decent badge to do, our kids were right into it.

Trouble is, it needs updated in two areas. Firstly, by the time they're all driving, cars won't have spare tires. Secondly, one of the options is to change a motor cycle wheel - which you can't do in the same way as you'd change a car wheel.

That said, we got a really nice email from a parent off the back of it, so it went down really well.

Thanks
    Burned something, cooked something, ate something. 5 new recruits. Kicked 6 out to explorers. Everyone went home stinking of fire.

Loved it!

Thanks
    All the best meetings involve fires and cooking. We went for a short hike, mainly aimed at practising some practical map reading. I enjoyed it. Hopefully the Scouts did too...
    SL, 11th Hitchin