Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: What we did at scouts last night...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,504 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    We did a household skill last night for the Cubs Skills challenge - we made dipped household candles.
    We did a cool thing a while ago along these lines. Turned out to be a good activity.

Take a cook's match or any other long match, wrap it in three or four turns of toilet role, then dip all of it in melted candle wax.

Allow to set.

You get an incredibly long lasting match. The one's we made burned for between five and ten minutes.

Has all the hallmarks of a decent activity, melted candle wax, fire and more fire.

Thanks
    Dough twists last night, (as part of a backwoods cooking stint in the run up to stopping for Christmas).

We were having a discussion about why dough twists are a 'scouty' thing, I confess I don't know. If you're out and about in the wilderness, you're probably not going to have a bag of self raising flour about you.

I did say that the steps taken were useful in terms of learning skills. Trimming the bark of your stick, mixing ingredients etc.

To be fair, I'm hard pushed to do a dough twist without it unraveling off the stick and landing in the fire. (I'm sure there is some esoteric cooking skill with flour or something to make it stick to the, ummm, stick or something...)

Anyway, I was reading on instructables.com a scout leader's explanation of dough twists. It was funny because he (or she) was saying, you want your twist to be such and such a diameter - but your scouts will make them too fat and they won't cook properly. Then you want to cook over embers - but your scouts will cook over flames so end up with sooty raw dough. At every step, they outlined what to do, then said what your scouts will do - and they were 100% right for every step.

We might volunteer under different circumstances, but some things are definitely constant.

The kids enjoyed it either way. Out of 20-odd, I think we only had a couple of decent twists cooked, and even then only partially. (Mine didn't fall off the stick on this occasion.)

Thanks
    Final night (on this topic) - cooking, did a bit of limited backwoods stuff the last couple of weeks. Weather was poor lastnight so lightweight stoves came out to use in the hall.

A variety of options, the aim being to build confidence with them. Usual stuff, egg boiling - which no one chose to do - and a lot of boiling in the bag. That was fine, the idea was to demonstrate when you're out and about, sometimes it is not possible to have a sit-down civilized meal with cutlery and plates etc. Some times, you might be eating out of a bag which has been boiled in water (for example).

It was all pre-cooked so only needed heated up. Microwave rice with sauce - open bag, put sauce in, stir place bag upright in boiling water. You're left with hot water and a clean pan. They tried the same with mylar bags with custard and Bramley apple pies. That worked.

One group missed the point however, choosing to boil a cuppa soup in a bag using cuppa soup. They also put a skinless sausage (which you can boil in the bag) in to the bag filled with cuppa soup.

Yeah, I didn't get it either.

Another group had some syrup sponge pudding, which was already in a boilable container. But they scooped it out and put it in a bag anyway. We hoped to try and get them to understand what you could do with certain foodstuffs, that while reading the instructions is important, you can be flexible about certain things.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

ianw (06-12-2019)

Thanks
    The end of term xmas party PL planned all well untill the food Clean up ? a few preferred kicking uneaten pizza about the floor and then most got upset when they realised there was no time left to play their grand long planned end of the year game as they needed to clean the hall first ?

Thanks
    Sitting in weatherspoons using the wifi to work on osm and wondering if the rain will stop b4 closing time !