Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What we did at scouts last night...

Thanks
    We split them in two, one half did packing rucksacks (what to take and how to pack) and the other half did about hypothermia - then swapped round for the second half.

The PLs took some time out to work on their plans the christmas party, apparently we are having a Holywood theme.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon.md View Post
    We split them in two, one half did packing rucksacks (what to take and how to pack) and the other half did about hypothermia - then swapped round for the second half.
    Did the ones who did about hypothermia first pack different things to those who did it after?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    Did the ones who did about hypothermia first pack different things to those who did it after?
    Good question, not sure (I wasnt doing rucksacks). We were more intrigued with the number who thought a travel adapter would be a good idea!

Thanks
    We had our annual remembrance night.

The PLs had asked to do something on rationing. We brought it up to date. Each patrol (which helpfully are all 7 strong) was given the food that a refugee in a camp in Syria would be given for 7 days. We challenged them with coming up with meals for 24 hours for the patrol. Eat dinner on the spot and take home tomorrow's (today's) breakfast and lunch. It's pretty uninspiring supplies. Flour, lentils, rice, chick peas, kidney beans, sardines and cooking oil. I guess it's stuff that's easy to transport and store in difficult conditions that gives the necessary calorific value.

Some took it more seriously than others. I know some of them are giving it a really good go. Some I think saw it as a chance to make a mess. You can lead a horse to water and all that.

Finished by laying a wreath at the group war memorial and an impeccably observed minute's silence for the 7 scouts and leaders we lost in the Second World War.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 775 Posts
    We did electronic orienteering.

Kids really seemed to enjoy it.

We also broke out the stoves and made hot chocolate and ate donuts.

This weekend; Saturday will see us selling tea, coffee and bacon rolls for Children in Need and Sunday Scouts will attend the Armistice day parade.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

big chris (11-11-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    We did electronic orienteering.

Kids really seemed to enjoy it.
    What is electronic orienteering?

Thanks
    What is electronic orienteering?

This is a really good question - I wasn't sure myself and I haven't been orienteering for yonks.

However... Basically, instead of the clipper thingies (you know, the orange things you clipped your bit of paper with that all have different patterns of spikes?) The kids get a 'dibber'. At the start point they clear the dibber (which removes any previous records - its essentially a memory stick) then put it into the start point - the clock then starts ticking. They had 20 markers out with (I think) three different courses to do. They navigate their way round, dipping their dibber (shoosh, I know...) at each marker, the stages are timed and obviously if they get the wrong marker its noted.

To finish they dib the finish marker and the clock stops. They can then get a receipt which tells them how long it took them to get round the course over all and between each of the markers and if they got any incorrect markers. Last time they did it they didn't quite get it and just went to markers they could see, ignoring the maps... This time, David (our Cub leader who kindly got the equipment from Outdoor Ed and set up for us) removed the flags from the markers so they would be harder to find, we then explained that orienteering was a microcosm of life and sometimes the easiest and most obvious route wasn't the right one.

They all did really well. It being electronic adds a certain modernity to the exercise which is sometimes lost in orienteering. I'd recommend it. Apparently there are courses set up all around our area, so we'll no doubt be doing more if it. Last night's was just in the primary school grounds, which are fortunately quite capacious. Once you get past the orienteering nomenclature (which can be somewhat impenetrable) its a great activity to do.

**Edit. Just remembered... If you can't get hold of the proper gear, you can do it with phones and photos. Kids get a map of the route with the markers, but instead of an electronic box, the marker takes the form of a photo. The idea is to navigate your way round and take the same photo. The pictures are moderately generic (so nothing to obvious) so they still have to navigate then look for whatever photo they need to get. if you see what I mean... Some people even time stamp the photos so they get the timings.../Edit**
    Last edited by pa_broon74; 11-11-2016 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks
    To finish they dib the finish marker and the clock stops. They can then get a receipt which tells them how long it took them to get round the course over all and between each of the markers and if they got any incorrect markers. Last time they did it they didn't quite get it and just went to markers they could see, ignoring the maps... This time, David (our Cub leader who kindly got the equipment from Outdoor Ed and set up for us) removed the flags from the markers so they would be harder to find, we then explained that orienteering was a microcosm of life and sometimes the easiest and most obvious route wasn't the right one.
    So if they get two right and then one wrong is that dib, dib, dob?
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (17-11-2016)

Thanks
    This is a really good question
    Thanks. Sounds like a nice alternative to the spikey things, no idea where we would get hold of the kit though.

Thanks
    Thanks. Sounds like a nice alternative to the spikey things, no idea where we would get hold of the kit though.

The equipment we used came from the local Outdoor Education department - our cub leader has contacts there. You could ask there (or what ever your equivalent is) or if there is a local orienteering group, they're usually keen to get young folk on board and might have the gear.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

Simon.md (12-11-2016)

Thanks
    Tonight at Scouts...

We'll be discussing the differences between Propane and Butane usage,* why it smells and the safe usage there of.

We'll then be cooking three different supper foods; eggy bread, cheese dreams and camp doughnuts. The latter of which sounds simultaneously horrid and quite tasty.

I'll report back.

* Reading about various forums (camping, caravans and survivalist), I'm surprised we haven't had a heated (ha ha) debate about Butane/Propane use...

Thanks
    We'll then be cooking three different supper foods; eggy bread, cheese dreams and camp doughnuts.
    Misread that as "super foods" - thought you must have a different definition

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon.md For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (18-11-2016),pa_broon74 (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    We did a bit more about mountain / hill emergencies including jacket stretchers, dialling emergency services and dealing with broken limbs.

They also had a go at this mannequin challenge thing: https://www.facebook.com/1steastcotescouts/

Thanks
    One of my assistants did an evening on map reading. In the bit on signs and contours, he included first some explanations, and then a photo and map showing the same area. The Scouts had a really thoughtful discussion of from exactly where on the map the photo might have been taken, given the shapes of the hills/contours, lakes and so on that they could see.

The week before was climbing and archery in a local school hall.
    SL, 11th Hitchin

Thanks
    Went to local campsite, lit fires, baked some apples. Great fun!

Piccies