Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: What we did at scouts last night...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,217 Times in 1,369 Posts
    Spike trolls. And knife sharpening. Drying now for them to take home next week.

Worth saying. Scouts seem to love sharpening knives. And they're right. It's very satisfying.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by big chris; 18-11-2016 at 08:50 AM.

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon.md View Post
    Misread that as "super foods" - thought you must have a different definition

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Me too, but I'm not sure I'd argue it was wrong....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Last night the younger half did archery in the main hall, whilst we had the older ones in the meeting room starting to work on a million hands / world challenge project.

We got them to think about issues and causes, then split them into groups and gave each of them one of the million hands "areas" to do a brainstorm around befor epresenting their results to the group. The group then voted on which project we would take forward and came up with some ideas.

They chose mental wellbeing... an issue close to the heart of several of our leaders

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    The Cooking Comp team had their first practice cook. It went well and tasted good. No more on that as there maybe rivals watching.

The rest learnt about gas burners and put one of the new ones together. This was followed by some fun with Marching. Hmm, some interesting techniques there.

Jonathan

GSL

ex-Chairman
    49th Bournemouth (St. Katherines) Air Scouts
    NSRA YPS Tutor (Air Rifles)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by not-so View Post
    This was followed by some fun with Marching. Hmm, some interesting techniques there.
    i need to start our blog again...

this was one of the most fun nights we ever had:

https://thefifth.org.uk/staff-drill-at-thunder-troop

everybody loved it... loads of fun and laughter. (seriously...)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

not-so (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    i need to start our blog again...

this was one of the most fun nights we ever had:

https://thefifth.org.uk/staff-drill-at-thunder-troop

everybody loved it... loads of fun and laughter. (seriously...)
    Though drill is seen as "military" it is just line dancing really. Trying to get everyone coordinated and working together can be great fun.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kastor For This Useful Post:

not-so (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    Had 8 Scouts tonight, down from our usual 30 due to the local panto which they all seem to be involved in. Had games and a newspaper tower challenge - I think the leaders won

15181451_1105244996254420_4815045570898167170_n.jpg15219540_1105242116254708_1661223877956046298_n.jpg
    Last edited by Simon.md; 24-11-2016 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks
    Last night we started with a game and then showed them part of the video of the Pedal Car Olympics at Thriftwood from January (to encourage the new ones to join our teams for net January).
    Then outside to light fires (no matches) to toast marshmallows and make smoors before returning inside to watch the rest of the video and eat some crisps left over from Cubs (Akela says they were close to their use by date and possibly getting furtehr away!)
    All enjoyed themselves and actually got some good fires going in about 20 minutes despite damp conditions.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    Thanked 1,136 Times in 757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post
    All enjoyed themselves and actually got some good fires going in about 20 minutes despite damp conditions.
    That is pretty good going some of our Scouts struggle to get a fire going in 20 minutes WITH matches and in the dry

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    We made pancakes on baked-bean tin stoves. I've read about it many times, and never got round to trying it. We were going to look at various camping stove designs as well, but I realised that would never fit in the same evening, so we'll do that another time.

Pancakes on tins are harder than you think (as many sources warn) but not that hard, if you make plenty of decent air holes in the tins, especially near the top. I decided to treat it as a research exercise, rather than give them a design I'd tested, and I think it did help to reinforce the importance of an air supply for fire - at least, plenty of candles went out when the Scouts weren't expecting it

I made the schoolboy error of not arranging enough cutting and hole-making tools, but otherwise a good evening. Then we invested six Scouts, and left the church hall smelling distinctly of pancake.
    SL, 11th Hitchin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Last night was the second half of our rotation. The older Scouts were in the hall this time doing Archery. The younger half were in the meeting room covering off a load of the "fluffy" stuff required for the global challenge night.

Not necessarily the most active and fun night that we've ever run, but at least it was entertainingly funny... especially with one Scout explaining that his hero is Donald Trump!!

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Bin bag fashion followed by a mannequin challenge at the scouts' request

http://www.scoutsphotos.com/2016/Sco...uin-Challenge/

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

Defaid (25-11-2016),pa_broon74 (25-11-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 775 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    Bin bag fashion followed by a mannequin challenge at the scouts' request

http://www.scoutsphotos.com/2016/Sco...uin-Challenge/

That looked really great, your scouts got right into it... And your meeting place is even more cluttered than ours - it looks really flexible too with lots of wee hidey holes and rooms...

Last night...

We had a night of initiative tests, went down quite well, PL's said it was a good night...

Started off with Kim's Game with all the troop. They then went round four bases in Patrols:

Radioactive water - remove a vessel of heavy water from an exclusion zone with the items provided (canes, sizel, tape and a penknife.)

Nerf Target practice - different targets to hit including a tiny wee high scoring one - do you go for guaranteed points or risk the bigger but more difficult pay off?

The lit fuse - Water balloon suspended from the ceiling over a candle in an exclusion zone, random items provided (scout staff, string, tape, two matches and a metal tent peg). Put the candle out using the contents of the water balloon - the idea was to heat the tent peg (which was attached to the scout staff) up and melt a wee hole in the bottom of the balloon... None of them did it that way though...

Hike Tent - This may seem easy, but our Scouts (because most are quite young) have a problem repacking hike tents, although it bamboozles the older ones too. They can never get the bags shut because they don't think to roll the tent up tightly enough - which is also one of my pet hates... And... The tent we used had poles missing, so weren't repacked properly... Grrr...

We were also going to attempt a giant square push up (where everyone is off the ground with only their hands holding them up...) But we ran out of time.

Thanks
    ta...it's you shaped scouting... "can we do the mannequin challenge?" ... yeah, go on then...

Thanks
    Last night depressed me.

Our night was entitled "Personal Challenge" and it was about setting and reviewing personal challenges. Plus finish off a few bits and do some random fun stuff.

I had eight out of 21 scouts. I was aware three had other commitments on the night. But where were the rest? I guess the title put them off.

We also had church parade on Sunday where five scouts showed up.

Last Saturday was clean up the local campsite day, which was pitched at signing off community service and environmental project from World challenge. No one went.

In the last year I have been sitting down with various older scouts and parents to discuss whether they wanted to do the gold award or not. Most of them wanted to. But I get to one thing like this, and they do not want to know.

I know I need to let it go and have a rethink to make the program youth shaped and forget the badges. I just have a fear that will just be trips to Thorpe park and fundraising activities to get there - which they won't get involved with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk