Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: What we did at scouts last night...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjl14 View Post
    To be fair Dan there should be a smiley in there which hasn't worked for some reason.
    Fair enough - although there has been a lot of criticism recently about YCs in various posts. I realise I am biased being close friends with our county YC, and also friends with our District YC, but I can see the benefits. I can also see how, if they are not doing anything proactive, they could be seen to be a waste of time.

In fairness they are perhaps most likely to be noticed among the Explorer and Network age groups at the moment.

However like others I don't really get what the youth commissioners are for? I'm not aware of any locally so base my experience on what I've read in the scouting magazine or seen on social media and to be honest it seems lacking in substance. They may work as a pr tool but what are they for? What do they actually bring to the table that benefits scouting, especially for the younger sections? Bear in mind in this context I am talking about their role as a youth commissioner not in regard to any other role they may hold.
    That will depend on the individual and the role description that they have agreed with their supervising commissioner (DC or CC). If nothing else it is ensuring younger blood on district and county teams.

We seem to be banging on about being youth shaped and youth led an awful lot these days but if we don't do a better job of recruiting, supporting, training, and retaining adults what is the point? It is easy to get youth involvement through pack and sixer forums and through other feedback methods but it is a real struggle to get adults on board, keep them motivated and not have them decide to give it all up. I believe a much greater focus is needed on this nationally. Recruiting kids is easy, adults not so much.
    I must admit I hate the word "Youth led". We are not (with the exception of Network and some ESUs). We are youth shaped.

I think one key task for any YC is going to be getting young volunteers (YLs and Network aged) involved and retaining them, and ensuring that young volunteers are not put off Scouting by the "old guard".

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    That will depend on the individual and the role description that they have agreed with their supervising commissioner (DC or CC). If nothing else it is ensuring younger blood on district and county teams.
    but there's nothing stopping district and county teams having 18-25 year old members right now without any need to create a commissioner post.

i don't see YCs being anything other management trainees - the selected next set of DCs and CCs - in a wider double generational change.

TSA don't want people like me - 'the old guard' - as i bring little to a youth shaped future perspective. TSA simply want youth in the driving seat. people like me get the elbow.

a YC is a management trainee, nothing else.

I think one key task for any YC is going to be getting young volunteers (YLs and Network aged) involved and retaining them, and ensuring that young volunteers are not put off Scouting by the "old guard".
    so why not give them my job and get rid of all the old 35+ aged DCs!?

so the old guard is putting off young volunteers? get rid of the old guard then!

the key message is that if we have youth directing the management and pulling the strings of scouting we will achieve success. the key is to get youth in these management places and let's not worry about managing just yet.

your YC is simply your DC or CC in waiting. it seems we're aiming to choose our next leaders and managers simply on the basis of age, nothing else.

i did hear once someone say: 'if we turn many of our 18-25 network members into commissioners and give them a role that at least has the air of importance, then we might not lose them'.

TM
    going...going...still here...just

Thanks
    Tarquin - you know full well that I am not for one second suggesting we should remove all the "older" managers and leaders purely because of their age.

A good team will have a mix of ages on it. There is no ideal age for a DC or CC... i'd argue that someone under 25 is perhaps unlikely to have the life experience to take on the role. I'd also argue that they need to be in touch with the needs of young people. I thik it is important that we are moving away from assigning people to management roles as a means of retiring them from frontline duty, or as a reward for long service. The skills requiered to be a good manager or to be a good section leader are very different, and whilst some people may have both, many people will only have one set or the other.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,603 Posts
    I had not followed this thread, but in a scavange humnt for new ideas (or forgotten ideas) I thought that I would dip in... seems to have drifted off thread a tad

I can't say that I don't believe in Youth Commissioners, but then again, I am not a fan of the hierarchy anyway. However, I firmly believe that the way to retain young people as future Leaders is to keep them involved at grass roots Scouting. Find them real roles within the Group (and I mean Group including Explorers), give them some autonomy but always be there with the safety net. As time passes, give them more autonomy. They will grow into roles.

I think the two ares where we lose people are , firstly, we give them no autonomy at all, they get fed up being treated like kids and they leave. Secondly, we give them too much autonomy and responsibility and when they realise what is involved they drop the lot and walk away - most people would if they knew what they were letting themselves in for.

Us oldies, we often have a lot to offer. We can offer maturity, experince (and I don't mean - that is the way we have always done it, or we tried that in 1975 and it didn't work). We can offer a great deal in what we have learned through life - because we actually have done it and got the tee shirt to prove it. It is crass of any movement to discard that font of knowledge. However, perhaps we need to find a balance between the "set in stone" and the "flexible" older Leaders. I think that I fall into the later description, maybe others think differently, but I know that I can work well with someone who is "set in stone" if there is a shared belief in the development of young people.

This is at risk of going cross-thread so I'll leave it there.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 855 Posts
    Well gosh...

Can we get back to What We Did Last Night at Scouts?

It was going quite well for a spell...

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

Epona (02-12-2016),ianw (28-11-2016),London Scouter (28-11-2016),richardnhunt (25-02-2017),Simon.md (28-11-2016)

Thanks
    A short night hike. We were going to run it fully as a parachute drop, but we decided to give them a bit more help than that, so they started somewhere fairly obvious and got fairly full instructions.

Plenty of leaders and parents watching the places where they could go wrong, as we didn't have time to lose any Patrols - but the marshals kept out of sight so the Scouts had a chance to make their own decisions. Finished in the middle of nowhere, which was more of a navigational challenge for parents collecting the YPs than it was for the Scouts themselves

Hot chocolate from the back of a car at the finish. Good time had by all.
    SL, 11th Hitchin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DKRSL For This Useful Post:

frazzle (08-12-2016)

Thanks
    We did cannonball run (no cannonballs involved).

Video on our fb site if interested:

https://www.facebook.com/1steastcotescouts/

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    So... back on topic (with apologies)

Last night the younger scouts tried their hand at Fencing (the sword type, not putting up a new boundary) as our cub leader has recently been on a course.

The PLs and APLs meanwhile spent an evening doing some PL/APL training. This included a discussion on what made a good patrol leader as well as some practical exercises. A good fun evening with plenty of laughter, plenty of noise, and hopefully some useful lessons learned!

That brings the main termly programme to an end. Next week is our group Christmas Campfire, and the following week will be the troop Christmas Party.

Thanks
    We did a short hike to the beach (with no torches) to look at the stars and find the North star and talk about navigation. We then went on the a 'penny' hike, i.e. flipping a coin at every road junction to decide left and right. A couple of times I then asked them to point in the direction of some local land marks to see what natural direction they had - overall not bad.

Fortunately, the coin flipping managed to get us to the local Chip Shop where 5 portions were brought and consumed on our last leg back to base.

Jonathan

GSL

ex-Chairman
    49th Bournemouth (St. Katherines) Air Scouts
    NSRA YPS Tutor (Air Rifles)

Thanks
    Tarquin - you know full well that I am not for one second suggesting we should remove all the "older" managers and leaders purely because of their age.

A good team will have a mix of ages on it. There is no ideal age for a DC or CC... i'd argue that someone under 25 is perhaps unlikely to have the life experience to take on the role. I'd also argue that they need to be in touch with the needs of young people. I think it is important that we are moving away from assigning people to management roles as a means of retiring them from frontline duty, or as a reward for long service. The skills requiered to be a good manager or to be a good section leader are very different, and whilst some people may have both, many people will only have one set or the other.
    a YC role is simply a trainee scouting management role.

i wasn't assigned to my junior management role. i was the only mug prepared to do it. (even then - on a short list of one - it took the then DC a few months to decide.) i was also the only mug who clearly demonstrated that i held the necessary skills.

but my generation is passing. the following generation is being hurdled. the focus is on getting more of our 18-25 year olds into management.

a YC role is not about youth-shaped or getting young people involved in activities or designing/planning the programme, it is simply about preparing your next DC or CC. it is a strategy based purely on age and not necessarily on skills.

apologies i have digressed from the thread!

what we did at scouts last night.....

nothing, or rather i did nothing. not planning to turn up to weekly meetings until after the new year. not really needed so doing other things.

TM

Thanks
    Last night we met to plan next term. As we walked into the pub we found the team who are running our Quiz Night sat planning at one table, the guide leaders sat at another table trying to work out the name for "building stuff out of wood and ropes", and one of our ASLs sat at another table waiting. The Crown should consider changing their main purpose to a meeting venue!

Activities next term include:

- Basic scouting skills (starting again from the bottom and working up!)
    - First aid spread over parts of three meetings
    - World Challenge stuff
    - Wide Games
    - "Urban" incident hike
    - Navigation Skills
    - Hike
    - Climbing
    - Kayaking (outside normal meeting times once the weather gets waremr!)
    - air rifle shooting

We also got outlines for two camps ("Back to Basics" in February, and "Bear Grylls Bivi Night" in April) sorted out.

Thanks
    Last night we met to plan next term. As we walked into the pub ...
    Your Scouts must love your meetings. Or do they just get a bottle of Coke and a bag of crisps, while they wait in the car?
    The long march through the institutions is nearly complete.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihatecamping View Post
    Your Scouts must love your meetings. Or do they just get a bottle of Coke and a bag of crisps, while they wait in the car?
    Perhaps I should have said "our leaders met..."

Scouts this week will be the group christmas campfire. 110 beavers cubs and scouts!

Thanks
    Scouts this week will be the group christmas campfire. 110 beavers cubs and scouts!
    that's very big fire! we tend just to use wood. it doesn't run out as quickly as young people. not that i've tried!

TM

Thanks
    You can't really roast wood, though.
    SL, 11th Hitchin