Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: What we did at scouts last night...

Thanks
    One of our cubs brought his trumpet along to demonstate his "prowess" for his musicians badge. His music teacher had already stated he was at Stage 1. He played and he played. I don't know if the cubs were impressed or not but he played a fairly recognisable tune and the youngsters joined in and drowned out his playing by their singing. We all went home smiling so it can't have been that bad.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boballan For This Useful Post:

big chris (07-04-2019),richardnhunt (07-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boballan View Post
    One of our cubs brought his trumpet along to demonstate his "prowess" for his musicians badge. His music teacher had already stated he was at Stage 1. He played and he played. I don't know if the cubs were impressed or not but he played a fairly recognisable tune and the youngsters joined in and drowned out his playing by their singing. We all went home smiling so it can't have been that bad.
    this is why scouting is so good for the soul... after a week at work, there can be little better balm for the stresses of daily life than an evening like this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

boballan (09-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Junior Navigators - Cub age - after just three kayaking sessions were playing kayak polo. Great teamwork, great use of skills and all asking for more.

Thing is, I only reluctantly offered them kayaking - and they have taken to it like there was nothing else. Great session today, revived my faith in kids ability to take on a challenge.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

hippysurfer (25-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 857 Posts
    Not last night, but last weekend, or the weekend just there.

Weekend indoor 'camp', at Strathyre. (Not really worth a new thread...)

At Strathyre Adventure Centre. I think we're the only outside group who use it other than the organisation who runs it - if you see what I mean. It really needs some investment, but, it's good for us. Only glitch in the weekend was the water supply kept going off - but, we got a massive discount on the price so it evens out. It was just one of those things.

Main event on Saturday was the boat across Loch Katrine to Stronachlacher then cycling back round to Loch Katrine Pier. 13 miles mostly on tarmac, it was about right for the mixed group we had. A couple struggled, (surprisingly, I found it alright...) Catering was fine, had a bbq for Saturday dinner which went well enough. The rest of it was easy to do, usual breakfast and lunch food. (No sandwiches though, all finger food, we spread out among the kids to carry, then laid it all out to scoff...)

Only blemish was four scouts decided to stay up all Friday night. They didn't properly settle (or so we thought) till about 2 am (normal for ours really). But to be woken up at 5:30am was, how should I say, not appreciated? I got up, went through to their dorm and was proudly told 'we decided to stay up all night!'

The first thing we did on arrival was ground rules. I said (because I knew they would) they'd need to be in bed and quiet early-ish (which in my mind meant 2 am at the latest). I told them leaders really needed to sleep because they were driving the following day on bad roads, I'd be driving my bus with 11 passengers - so I really needed to be rested.

But they totally ignored it. I was, how should I say, quite angry? (Proper 'quiet' angry...)

The only reason they woke us up was because a couple went to the toilet and were really noisy while they did so. I think I might have been more offended by their inability to figure out they'd wake us up, than their decision to stay up all night. I mean, if they did that quietly, then fair fucks to them - that they couldn't even do that properly? I left them in no doubt, they would be offered no compromise during the day, and if any complained about being tired or not being able to manage the activity - the consequences would be vast.

They did however, one at a time, very sheepishly apologise. You kind of know when an apology is meant, there's no fanfare to it, it's done very quietly with no audience required. I thawed at that point.

The rest of the weekend went really well. We had a campfire, during which we welcomed four new scouts and said thanks to the four for whom the weekend was their last scouty activity as scouts - they're now Explorer Scouts staying on. I also thanked my leader team, who are really quite decent. A great mix of people who are all great with the young folk.

No one died, our chatty kid (who stayed up all Friday night) lost a tooth on the way to the centre, it came out in the van and got dropped on the floor - that was the only blood shed during the weekend. He found the tooth on the Saturday morning - I assume he didn't put it under his pillow because a) he didn't have one (HAHA!) and b) he was one who stayed up all night. (He also lost his voice because he talked to much.)

I filled out a NAN form, I put most of the leader's names down, but none of their membership numbers because I don't know what they are. It was moot anyway, because we don't really have anyone to send it to anyway, sending it to the CC (who I don't know and doesn't know us) would have been superfluous, and our GSL (who is also the NAA) was along anyway.

Next time, we'll get the kids to do more in the way of organising food and cooking. With the water being off (mostly) doing dishes was a problem anyway, so duty patrol (sort of) wouldn't have worked. The bbq generated minimal dishes and we bought disposable plates etc while out during Saturday.

Not a bad weekend. 18 Scouts out of 20 attended, 2 YL's and 6 Leaders. One leader couldn't make it (he's also the ex-chef leader who we could have done with having along).

That is all.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

bellshillscouts (18-04-2019),big chris (15-04-2019),ianw (15-04-2019),richardnhunt (15-04-2019)

Thanks
    We finished the old version of Digital Maker stage 3 using 20 year old Lego RCX robot kits. I don't really like the new version of the badge - how many scouting activities can be helped by a noddy computer program (especially if it is for a 20 year old Lego robot)?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kev For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (24-05-2019)

Thanks
    We covered CPR in detail then did an exercise in how difficult it is to move people if they're truly unconscious.

We had other stuff planned, but the moving-people-if-they're-truly-unconscious bit ran on a bit.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

boballan (07-06-2019)

Thanks
    Well now...

It's been a while...

Out tonight cleaning/clearing crap out of the woods behind/beside our hall. Old tyres, litter, bits of old hardboard etc etc. Kids were down the far end in the burn (pretty much dried up...) Local gentleman turns up, very angry, complaining about the noise, asking who we were and that we'd been reported to the cooncil. He said he was trying to sleep, I pointed out that it was only half past seven. At which point he started asking if I was 'from here'. I thought that was weird, but said I was... I thought he was maybe asking if I lived in the village - I'm still not sure. But I grew up there, (played in that burn, as a scout and cub too...) He got quite snippy, eventually said I was too old to be playing with kids in the woods.

Later, one of the kids commented that perhaps he was asking if I was from here, as in the UK. That hadn't occurred to me - as I said, it's been a while since I've had that thrown at me - if that's what he meant...

Then, we were using gas mini stoves in the hall, and one of them basically blew up. (It was the kind that screws onto a mini bottle, it wasn't even close to being on tight). Kids round it froze, I had to kick it out the front door - which is now a tad scorched. It also set the door mat on fire which distracted the tennis players.

So yup. Great night.

(No injuries though.)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

ianw (07-06-2019)

Thanks
    Always a valuable lesson to see a stove explode so young people have a healthy dose of caution!

at least, that’s the way I’d spin it....!
    ESL - Titan ESU (Wakefield)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Atb For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (07-06-2019)

Thanks
    Indeed.

We told them it was a pretty good example of us needing to get their attention in a hurry, and how them ignoring us could be problematic.

There was another group of four who wouldn't go near their stove after that. We had to explain that what they just witnessed wasn't the standard.

When it flared up, the four scouts sat round it froze.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Indeed.

We told them it was a pretty good example of us needing to get their attention in a hurry, and how them ignoring us could be problematic.

There was another group of four who wouldn't go near their stove after that. We had to explain that what they just witnessed wasn't the standard.

When it flared up, the four scouts sat round it froze.
    i recall many years ago as a scout someone I n the group replaced a gas cartridge on expedition. They were the old pierceable ones and it didnít quite line up, so they stood there are the gas emptied onto them. They quite literally froze their hands rather than drop it...
    ESL - Titan ESU (Wakefield)

Thanks
    Former leader used to tell the tale of changing an old-style cartridge (when a Scout). He absent-mindedly wandered round with the old cartridge upside down in his hand, after relighting the stove. Till there was this wumph! and all the grass round it lit up. No-one hurt apparently...
    SL, 11th Hitchin