Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What we did at explorers last night...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,310 Times in 1,423 Posts

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

ianw (23-12-2016),katalex (06-07-2017),richardnhunt (24-12-2016),Testarossa (13-01-2017)

Thanks
    Last night, our Assistant Leader (aged 18) ran a quiz night.
    85 people turned up. We other Leaders and a friend sorted the chilli and rice while she had organised the ticket sales, raffle and became the quiz master on the night.

Some of the Explorers turned up with teams and paid to join in. Others turned up in Uniform to take money on the door, sell raffle tickets, serve food etc.

She raised 360 for the Unit and everyone had a brilliant time.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Testarossa For This Useful Post:

ianw (22-01-2017),recneps (26-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 790 Posts
    This Friday we were at our District Explorer winter weekend hostel trip at Thornthwaite Scout Campsite. 40 Explorers and 7 adults had a nice relaxing time with a hike to and around Fewston Reservoir.

The previous Friday we did some practical lateral thinking problems stuff from the practical section of this website http://www.brainboxx.co.uk/a4_resour...zzles/MENU.htm, seem to go down well. We then finished off with building newspaper bridges in teams.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    This Friday we were at our District Explorer winter weekend hostel trip at Thornthwaite Scout Campsite. 40 Explorers and 7 adults had a nice relaxing time with a hike to and around Fewston Reservoir.

The previous Friday we did some practical lateral thinking problems stuff from the practical section of this website http://www.brainboxx.co.uk/a4_resour...zzles/MENU.htm, seem to go down well. We then finished off with building newspaper bridges in teams.
    Thornthwaite is a lovely site and it's in a great area. Durham runs a County Explorer challenge hike there every ~5 years. We're off to Pybus (near Stokesley) this year though!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,251 Posts
    We had a sub-aqua try dive with the local scuba club. You know those nights when at the end they're all thanking you and saying what a brilliant night it was and you think "yeeeeah, nailed it"? One of them.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

BREWBOY (26-01-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    We had a sub-aqua try dive with the local scuba club. You know those nights when at the end they're all thanking you and saying what a brilliant night it was and you think "yeeeeah, nailed it"? One of them.
    That sounds great just sent an email to our local dive centre for more info,
    thanks for the idea

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    I think our local explorers did this a few weeks ago as well... went down really well!

- - - Updated - - -

I think our local explorers did this a few weeks ago as well... went down really well!

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Thanked 3,310 Times in 1,423 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,997 Times in 1,263 Posts
    I did that with Network years ago...and spent most of the following day at the Quarries picking up bits of black stuff and burnt grass off the site we used so I wouldn't get shot for it. To be fair when I'd finished doing so the site was back the way it was, I don't think anyone ever noticed.

Thanks
    Used to do a variant of that as a Scout back in the day - lash up a base (2 triangular sides with cross pieces to make a four legged base) attach an old bike inner tube to the top, and use it to fire flaming arrows (thin wood strips with meths soaked cloth on the end) off the top of Solsbury Hill. Bearing in mind a very steep drop immediately off the flat top, they used to go a fair old way!
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    We went coppicing last weekend. While we were there, I mentioned that nobody had organised the meeting for Friday night (All our meetings are now Explorer led) and threatened to cancel the meeting if I didn't receive a plan by Wednesday evening.

On Wednesday, I received a plan!

All Explorers meet in the hut. Different routes were planned out on maps, starting from different local villages, but all the same distance across fields and finishing at the same Chinese Take Away in town. We put the Explorers into groups and took them by car to the start points (roping in a couple of parents to follow in convoy).

We dropped them at the start points and set them off at 8.30pm. All the Leaders headed for the coffee shop next door to the Chinese Take Away for a bonding session.

What should have taken the Explorers an hour and a half took them an hour. It's amazing what the promise of food can do to a teenager!

The prize was spring rolls, prawn toasts, chips and other finger foods which they all shared.

And the greatest thing about the whole evening...we had a Scout move up. It has taken the Scout Leader 4 months to persuade him to give Explorers a try as he didn't know anyone. I asked him at the end of the evening what he thought of Explorers. He answer was, "It's better than Scouts!"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Testarossa For This Useful Post:

ianw (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    We ran a field archery course as part of a weekend camp. Shot down angles, through archways and just for variation, a row of turnips as one target. First time we've tried it and got some really good feedback on it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,251 Posts
    Teams of three each supplied with:

10m of the cheapest lining paper from Screwfix (other lining paper suppliers are available)
    1 x roll of 25mm x 50m masking tape
    3 sheets of A4 paper
    2 pencils
    1 easter egg

Make a freestanding* tower. Balance the egg on top. Tallest tower wins.

* Not stuck to walls or floor, or balanced against anything.

One team made one too big for the hall. Turns out our ceiling is just over 5m high at its highest point.

Next time, less paper, or a heavier thing to balance on top, or use free newspapers instead so big columns from a single piece can't be made. Mind you, it's good teamwork to try and work together to make a big column without bending or creasing the paper.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 790 Posts
    We did a version of a trading post game based on an item on POL called world trade which i modified so everything they had to make was made of newspaper, paper or card. 1 country managed to go bust as they were not really taking part properly so lack of work ethic will lead to poverty. All the other teams all pretty much stuck to making one thing lots of times but interestingly all 3 teams were making different items, one made paper boats our of newspaper which was the cheapest resource to buy, one team made paper airplanes and jumping frogs out of paper, and one team made trees which required paper and sellotape. The team making boats out of newspaper won as they all learnt how to make the boats well quickly.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,590 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    We did a version of a trading post game based on an item on POL called world trade which i modified so everything they had to make was made of newspaper, paper or card. 1 country managed to go bust as they were not really taking part properly so lack of work ethic will lead to poverty. All the other teams all pretty much stuck to making one thing lots of times but interestingly all 3 teams were making different items, one made paper boats our of newspaper which was the cheapest resource to buy, one team made paper airplanes and jumping frogs out of paper, and one team made trees which required paper and sellotape. The team making boats out of newspaper won as they all learnt how to make the boats well quickly.
    A twist to this... Star everyone off with widely varying but representative bank balances and give each team a country - so USA has the biggest Bank Balance, Burkino Faso has the smallest, with various others funded somewhere along the line in relationship to their economic standing. All other things being equal, the rich keep getting richer and the poor still stay relatively poor.

If it is all going too easily, you can introduce other factors appropriate to each country - I have had famine in African countries, strikes, disease, and a trade blockade, or an earthquake. All of which impacted on how they could trade or the price they could get for their products.

If they get into the game, the expressions when half their team is out of the game with disease for ten minutes is a picture, but they do start to understand a little of how outside influences impact on lives. The USA team were streaming ahead, and I had the IMF or some other body impose a fine on them for illegal trading practices. Lots of wild protests but they still came out on top.

Might do it again and have the UK cut out of the EU market and have to make FTA with other nations, who will of course demand special production styles and specifications... You can do almost anything with this game and bring in as many outside influences as you have people to cope with them.

Imagine, they are building cars and the Tesla Tunnel system takes off, so no more demand for cars...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk