This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Completely agree. When we're recruiting for management roles (professionally not at Scouts), we're looking for a balance of Competence, Capability and Experience. Competence being the ability to learn new capabilities, capabilities being a current assessment, and Experience - well that's obvious. Scouting really ought to be the same

For a Scouting manager role the competence and capability of young managers is pretty much independent of age. Experience isn't. A young SL who doesn't need much management in their role will be fine based on competence, capability and experience built through 15 years in the movement. A young commissioner in a role with management responsibility may well fall down on experience.

I had this with a 19yo ADC Cubs, I think I might have asked here about him (or may have been 1st FB, or both) - and everyone was full of "Go for it", "Age is irrelevant" and loads of examples of youth in management roles. Regret it didn't work for exactly that reason - lacked experience in dealing with people, their concerns and disputes, lacked credibility with much older and more experienced leaders and despite support only lasted a few months in the role. TSA should focus on encouraging youth to take on roles for which they're suited and ensure their views and ideas are heard rather than rushing them into roles for which they are inadequately prepared.
    I agree that age is irrelevant in management positions. It should be given to the person best suited for the role. Whether that be a 24 year old applicant for a County Commissioner role, or a 65 year old. Experience is just one aspect of the role, and a role in Scouting should be given to the person who will, overall, perform the best. Applicants should be considered on a mixture of , as you said, Competence, Capability and experience, as well as enthusiasm.

But experience doesn't necessarily mean age. For example, when I was 11, I started to programme plan with my Scout Leader, running my own evenings, and working out that Scouting involves a lot more than just turning up for an evening every week. I learnt that programme planning is vital, and it's also not a walk in the park to run a section. When I was 14, I ran my own camp for my Scouts, from budgeting, to finding a location, to finding activities, to releasing it to parents, to actually running the camp. That taught me all about the different types of diet that people have, and that running a camp, is tough, but also rewarding to see so many YP having fun. When I was 15, I started to be a non-voting member of my group Exec Committee, many would think it would be boring, but I found it interesting how a group works, from Census, and reporting figures back to HQ, to hearing about finance, and how we were spending our money, and how many people disagreed, and wanted more money, but didn't want to put up subs, in fear of losing YP, to retention of adult volunteers, and Young People. When I was 17, I started to sit on my district Exec, and saw that the problems that my group had, were almost identical to the ones a district has, just on a bigger scale. More people wanting money, and how to best recruit adults, and keep adults in Scouting. When I was 18, I started as the District Youth Commissioner for my district, helping achieve the Vision 2018, and making my district more Youth Shaped, and helping Adult Volunteers make their groups and sections more Youth Shaped. I also started to help out on the National YouShape Planning Team to see how I can support leaders, like yourselves, and see how we can make YouShape fit into your programme, without making more, unnecessary work for you, and help you get the best results at your own local levels.

This year, as a 19 year old, I'll be attending Summit, applying for the WSJ CST, and helping groups and sections out as much as I can.

Now, I don't know about you, but I'd say that's alot of experience for a 19 year old. So I think it would be completely unfair to discount myself for a role based purely on my age, assuming I haven't had enough experience. Saying that, I also wouldn't apply for a role like DC/CC as there's alot of safeguarding experience I haven't yet covered, but excluding someone because they're a younger person, does seem, a little silly, especially if you don't know how much experience that person has.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jackbettam For This Useful Post:

Bushfella (20-03-2017),ianw (22-01-2017),nevynxxx (23-01-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbettam View Post
    I agree that age is irrelevant in management positions. It should be given to the person best suited for the role. Whether that be a 24 year old applicant for a County Commissioner role, or a 65 year old. Experience is just one aspect of the role, and a role in Scouting should be given to the person who will, overall, perform the best. Applicants should be considered on a mixture of , as you said, Competence, Capability and experience, as well as enthusiasm.

But experience doesn't necessarily mean age. For example, when I was 11, I started to programme plan with my Scout Leader, running my own evenings, and working out that Scouting involves a lot more than just turning up for an evening every week. I learnt that programme planning is vital, and it's also not a walk in the park to run a section. When I was 14, I ran my own camp for my Scouts, from budgeting, to finding a location, to finding activities, to releasing it to parents, to actually running the camp. That taught me all about the different types of diet that people have, and that running a camp, is tough, but also rewarding to see so many YP having fun. When I was 15, I started to be a non-voting member of my group Exec Committee, many would think it would be boring, but I found it interesting how a group works, from Census, and reporting figures back to HQ, to hearing about finance, and how we were spending our money, and how many people disagreed, and wanted more money, but didn't want to put up subs, in fear of losing YP, to retention of adult volunteers, and Young People. When I was 17, I started to sit on my district Exec, and saw that the problems that my group had, were almost identical to the ones a district has, just on a bigger scale. More people wanting money, and how to best recruit adults, and keep adults in Scouting. When I was 18, I started as the District Youth Commissioner for my district, helping achieve the Vision 2018, and making my district more Youth Shaped, and helping Adult Volunteers make their groups and sections more Youth Shaped. I also started to help out on the National YouShape Planning Team to see how I can support leaders, like yourselves, and see how we can make YouShape fit into your programme, without making more, unnecessary work for you, and help you get the best results at your own local levels.

This year, as a 19 year old, I'll be attending Summit, applying for the WSJ CST, and helping groups and sections out as much as I can.

Now, I don't know about you, but I'd say that's alot of experience for a 19 year old. So I think it would be completely unfair to discount myself for a role based purely on my age, assuming I haven't had enough experience. Saying that, I also wouldn't apply for a role like DC/CC as there's alot of safeguarding experience I haven't yet covered, but excluding someone because they're a younger person, does seem, a little silly, especially if you don't know how much experience that person has.
    That is a lot of experience for a 19 year old and is an admirable record, but (and some may say it is a big but) all that experience seems to have been gained in Scouting and, imo, what some Scouting roles are often missing is someone who has, what one might call, wider "life experiences".
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks

I know someone with a similar Scouting experience to you who was similarly involved until they got a job and found that work, looking after the house, shopping, cooking, etc. meant that something had to give and whilst they are still involved in big activities in Scouting (like County events) they do not have the time (or energy) to take on a weekly commitment although they will no doubt return to a more regular role when life stabilises a bit.
    Age can be a two edged sword - when you are young you may not have the wider life experience and you may suddenly find that you can no longer give commitment, when you are older you may have more experience and skills but may not have the energy or time to devote. What I am trying to say is that as well as finding the right person (regardless of age) you need to find someone who can commit to the task for a sufficient period to make a difference. The best DC, DESC, GSL, Section Leader is only useful if they can commit to several years - when they move on after 6 - 18 months it helps nobody, least of all them.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks

The law of unintended conseqences

Our Group for a number of years has help out with the local village fete. We tend to help with the car parking and run a couple of stalls. The car parking is a bit thankless but it all gets us in the public eye and is community minded so is all positive.

We have been playing a bit with the YouthShaped stuff and doing more forums etc and the youth have come back and said they don't want to be involved with the fete as it's too much like hard work and they'd rather not do it anymore. So this year we won't be doing it.

This seems a bit ironic to me in that one TSA scheme (YouthShaped) has effectively put the end to another TSA scheme (Community Involvement). Ho hum...
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    We recently had a District meeting where one of the speakers was talking about YouShape. You could almost hear the groan go round the room when it was announced. We dutifully sat through, yet another, presentation about how wonderful it would be to run forums in interesting ways etc.

I looked round the room at the assembled Leaders and there were about 3 people who looked like they could be under 25. Even the person doing the YouShape presentation was well over 25.

I just hope HQ lose interest in this YouShaped stuff pretty soon as it's going to kill our attendance at these meetings. Everyone's just fed up with being told how to suck eggs.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,708 Times in 1,121 Posts
    https://twitter.com/GLSE_Scouts/stat...27479705333760

this was our most recent youth forum... no beavers, cubs or scouts (and porbably no network)... explorers are 12% of the district and as somebody on here pointed out... the ones trying hardest to out aside childish things.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,214 Posts

You appear to be a remarkable young man with the drive to make things happen and that is absolutely fantastic, but you are, perhaps, the exception.

I have some fantastic young people... yeah, I'll go with they are all fantastic in their own way. If I ask them to plan something, even under supervision. I get a scrappy bit of paper with two sensible comments, one aiming for the moon idea, six just plain stupid comments and a drawing of a stick man in a castle. ( that is a pretty accurate descri[ption of the outcome of their last camp planning meeting - the camp never happened).
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123