Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas Burners

Thanks
    have used Foker double burners for years for both Leader and Scout cooking and have had no problems with them, for storing the burners you will find that they fit into the supermarket crates. We can get two in a large crate.
    Ian
    ASL 5th Dunstable
    www.5thdunstablescouts.org.uk

ESL
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Or if that is not enough for you then try one of these http://gasproducts.co.uk/outdoor-liv...-fk003200.html with an max output with 9.2kW but with 3 concentric burner rings so it can be used at lower outputs
    We bought one of these last year and it certainly gets a big pan of spuds cooked in a sensible time, and the 3-speed arrangement makes it usable for other "normal" cooking purposes. Too early to give a firm idea of gas consumption but it doesn't seem excessive, and as far as we're concerned if we don't have to put the spuds on at least an hour before we eat it's worth it.

Only snag so far is that it's a big bit of kit when the legs are bolted on, so we've been taking them off to pack it away but that's only a three minute job.

Thanks
    We are just looking to buy our first gas burners for the group, with the first use to be a scout patrol camp.

I like the fokker double burners (2 x 2.5kw) https://gasproducts.co.uk/outdoor-li...-fk003020.html but the valves seem a bit vulnerable.

These Coleman Chef 2 burner stoves look fairly strong and protect the valves but a bit under powered maybe (2 x 1.5kw), better if its windy though. Although I think they are an old model because I can't find them to buy. http://www.outwell.com/en/TV/Icon-Fi...0Burner%20wLid

These Coleman Olida stoves are metal and have more power (2 x 3kw) and are available to buy but they use tiny gas canisters (EN417) https://www.winfieldsoutdoors.co.uk/...camping-stove/

Any others to consider?

Adrian

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,181 Posts
    I definitely recommend the Fokers. Most of the "domestic" ones are hopelessly underpowered for Scout use, while the one that uses the small canisters will cost you a fortune to run.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,417 Posts
    Like Neil i'd recommend the Fokkers... we've never had a valve fail o those, whereas we've broken plastic valves off domestic style ones loads of times.
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Comparing the size of these portable burners against a commercial gas cooker - typical commercial propane cooker burners are 3kW to 5kW; so a 2.5kW burner used outdoors is always going to struggle.

How are the valves getting damaged? In transit?

My group have been using the same castiron burner like those above for 15 years, it is stored in a custom made box with a completely removable lid (held on with toggle cabinet catches); the lid covers the valves, hose & regulator so transit damage is minimised. Cooker is then used inside the box which helps insulate the cooker from the surface it is used on.
    A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room. Baden-Powell

Thanks
    We use the single Fokkers and have Y hoses made up with bayonet connectors. We have a double Fokker but the burners are too close together to get a decent frying pan next to a large billie.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post
    We use the single Fokkers and have Y hoses made up with bayonet connectors. We have a double Fokker but the burners are too close together to get a decent frying pan next to a large billie.
    We'd tend to solve that by the best place for a large frying pan being on the fire. (Unusually I think we tend to cook on both wood and gas, using each for the things it's good at).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 703 Posts
    We solve that by using frying pans large enough to go over both burners on the double burner

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianeaton View Post
    We are just looking to buy our first gas burners for the group, with the first use to be a scout patrol camp.

I like the fokker double burners (2 x 2.5kw) https://gasproducts.co.uk/outdoor-li...-fk003020.html but the valves seem a bit vulnerable.

Snipped
    Any others to consider?

Adrian
    Adrian
    We have Fokker double burners and also some from the Canvas Tent shop which are significantly cheaper. The valves are vulnerable and I've had to replace quite a few which got broken in transit. I've fitted protecting steel bars to ours made from roofing straps. I haven't got a picture of the finished article but bent one of these to fit the steel frame and bolted it in position. We haven't had a broken valve since.
    Mark
    You can contact Mark via www.4theastcotescouts.org.uk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

adrianeaton (12-02-2018)

Thanks
    We've got some of the cast iron burners - from go outdoors ( branded Continental), similar to the others on the market, however the control knob has broken off on one of them, been trying to source a replacement knob but no luck

Thanks
    Richard, try the Army Tent shop in my post above. If the burners are the same as the ones they sell they also do spare control units, not cheap but less than a new burner
    Mark
    You can contact Mark via www.4theastcotescouts.org.uk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12