Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Burners

Thanks

Gas Burners

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a really good burner for use with either Butane or Propane gas.
    We've been through a few of the ones shown below (as sold by most of the Scout shops), both single and double varieties and have found them to be (1) not powerful enough and (2) easily breakable, particularly at the valve.

Thanks all.

Thanks
    If you want something more powerful try searching for Tar Burners. We had one once which was extremely powerful, however it went through Propane at a frightening rate.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    We use Foker burners like this.

We've got double and triple varieties.

They're robust and seem pretty efficient.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,434 Posts
    The Fokers ( and other simiar) do a good job.

Problems -

1/ the controls can easily be unscrewed by accident - no biggie, just comes a surprise, especially if the flame jumps back to the valve!
    2/ the controls can be broken if they get knocked.
    3/ if your pan is larger than the burner, the reflected heat can melt the hose that comes with the Foker. Best replace it with in date gas hose.

These are not as powerful as the old Calor Double Dixies but they do the job since you cannot get new Calor Double Dixies any more.

I like the idea of the flame failure devices.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Have a look at Hamilton Gas Products.

We have a couple of these http://gasproducts.co.uk/outdoor-liv...ling-ring.html that are rated 7.5kW (3 times average Fokker) but be warned they are big.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    We've used the standard Fokker double burner with propane for years and not broken one yet (famous last words). These are 2.5kW per burner and I agree that they can be slow to heat large pans especially in cold conditions.

http://gasproducts.co.uk/outdoor-liv...-fk003020.html

We recently bought two of the larger 'Europa' model which is 4kW per burner and is noticeably better.

http://gasproducts.co.uk/outdoor-liv...-fk003050.html

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    Have a look at Hamilton Gas Products.

We have a couple of these http://gasproducts.co.uk/outdoor-liv...ling-ring.html that are rated 7.5kW (3 times average Fokker) but be warned they are big.
    Have used those, but 1) you need to watch the size of pots used as smaller ones only just fit and can tip over and 2) have found the burner holes tend to block after a while, no problem if they're maintained properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    The Fokers ( and other simiar) do a good job.

Problems -

1/ the controls can easily be unscrewed by accident - no biggie, just comes a surprise, especially if the flame jumps back to the valve!
    2/ the controls can be broken if they get knocked.
    3/ if your pan is larger than the burner, the reflected heat can melt the hose that comes with the Foker. Best replace it with in date gas hose.

These are not as powerful as the old Calor Double Dixies but they do the job since you cannot get new Calor Double Dixies any more.

I like the idea of the flame failure devices.
    While the Fokers are good, I find cast iron can have a short life around scouts! At least the prefab double stoves take a few knocks and might get a bit bent out of shape but still work. FFDs are okay until they stop working, then you find spares are either hard to get or cost the earth! Love the dixie burners, got donated another two a couple years ago! Also find the Calor twin burner stoves with folding legs (from the 1970s I think) are great for years of trouble-free use and pretty well scout-proof!

After the 2007 Jamboree we got a load of the white enameled twin stoves which have been on loads of camps but as the OP has found, these are a bit lacking in BTUs on the burners. Normally have two per patrol. Trouble is they are starting to fall apart so now using some to keep the others going.

The OP could always to what another troop I camped with did: their SL knocked up a double cooker using two burner bars from a gas boiler. Could turn out a troop-size fried breakfast in no time but gobbled gas!
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 707 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkgap View Post
    While the Fokers are good, I find cast iron can have a short life around scouts!
    Really? We find them pretty much indestructible apart from the knobs, which admittedly are annoyingly flimsy although even is they do break off the centre part is left and they can be turned easily enough just with this anyway.

Then again thinking about it we don't let the Scouts use them much apart from the odd cooking session at weekly meetings they are used by Leaders in our HQ on camp but the kids cook on open fires.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanks all,

I'll give the back-story which will hopefully tie-in with some of the replies...

Since about 1990 we've had two units which we always referred to as 'tar-burners' but whether that was their original purpose I'm not sure, they don't look like any tar-burner that's on the market these days. But they also don't match any stove I've ever seen. Anyway, they were immense and whether they guzzle the gas or not is unknown as they're all we've ever really used, so the consumption rate is 'normal' for us. Any current unit which you think uses a lot is most likely what we class as average. About 10 years ago one of them packed up. So we bought one of the type that I posted in my original message, but it was nowhere near as good. So we bought a different type. Useless. So another - broke too easily - and so on and on and on. Now though, our remaining tar-burner is starting to go awry so we're really needing a proper replacement.

All the issues people have mentioned experiencing above - flimsy handles, cast iron breaking, not enough oomph - are what we've had, and that's been Fokers and something that looks like the Calor Dixie burner, but isn't.

As for the suggestion I build something out of boiler burners: Haha, I like it, but I think my local A&E would not!

This is what I'm thinking about, it's a Bullfinch. Anyone ever used one?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 707 Posts
    If you have been using 'tar burners' and are looking for a similar output replacement then I would definitely look at the 7.5kW gas burner that Kastor posted earlier http://gasproducts.co.uk/outdoor-liv...ling-ring.html

Or if that is not enough for you then try one of these http://gasproducts.co.uk/outdoor-liv...-fk003200.html with an max output with 9.2kW but with 3 concentric burner rings so it can be used at lower outputs

The bullfinch you have picture is a genuine tar burner http://gasproducts.co.uk/outdoor-liv...s-furnace.html, i.e. it is a gas furnace actually designed for heating bitumen or even lead and other metals, which I would suggest is more heat output than you can possible need
    Last edited by shiftypete; 16-01-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
    Wow! 12.6kW, almost three times the power of a Foker Europa.

How many cubic metres of hot chocolate are you planning on making?

Thanks
    How about a wok burner http://www.gasequipmentdirect.co.uk/.../WOK3201B.aspx

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ACSL (Bagheera)
    74th Birmingham St Germains
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
    Thanks all,

I'll give the back-story which will hopefully tie-in with some of the replies...

Since about 1990 we've had two units which we always referred to as 'tar-burners' but whether that was their original purpose I'm not sure, they don't look like any tar-burner that's on the market these days. But they also don't match any stove I've ever seen. Anyway, they were immense and whether they guzzle the gas or not is unknown as they're all we've ever really used, so the consumption rate is 'normal' for us. Any current unit which you think uses a lot is most likely what we class as average. About 10 years ago one of them packed up. So we bought one of the type that I posted in my original message, but it was nowhere near as good. So we bought a different type. Useless. So another - broke too easily - and so on and on and on. Now though, our remaining tar-burner is starting to go awry so we're really needing a proper replacement.

All the issues people have mentioned experiencing above - flimsy handles, cast iron breaking, not enough oomph - are what we've had, and that's been Fokers and something that looks like the Calor Dixie burner, but isn't.

As for the suggestion I build something out of boiler burners: Haha, I like it, but I think my local A&E would not!

Looks like fun, but the Bullfinch 1360 Gas Furnace is a bit cheaper and probably still suitable. You'd need to be sure your existing dixies are up to the additional heat?

Been thinking about my comment about it using gas quickly! Of course it does, however it heats things up that much quicker as well. Someone will be along to explain how it takes the same amount of energy to heat the same amount of water etc.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkgap View Post
    Have used those, but 1) you need to watch the size of pots used as smaller ones only just fit and can tip over and 2) have found the burner holes tend to block after a while, no problem if they're maintained properly.
    We have a piece of wire mesh with 2in spacing cut to fit the top of it that we use when we want to put small pans on (though we tend to use a couple of the smaller cast iron ones). Haven't had any issue with the holes blocking yet.

Long ago I knew a venture unit who did use a real tar burner as a cooker. It gave out a horrendous amount of heat and would dry the ground all around it. Oddly wasn't much good for cooking though.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    One of the Leaders makes coffee like tar, that's my logic here. Okay, seems that is too much power, will look into the other ones.

Thanks for the help folks :-)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sigh For This Useful Post:

ianw (17-01-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast