Thread: Safety with knifes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 857 Posts

Safety with knifes.

Thought I'd open this to the floor...

I'd like to standardise leader expectations around knife safety, it turns out, we all have different ideas of acceptability. The kids can't be expected to have standards if all ours are different...

It's for Scout-aged kids so it needs to be snappy and easy to remember. It needs to cover safety considerations from when they decide they're going to use a knife to while they're using it - but not technique, we'll get to that.

So - find a safe place - let people know you're there using a knife - be aware of your surroundings at all times - you are responsible for your own safety and the safety of everyone that comes near you if you are using a knife...

That sort of thing, but easily digestible so it becomes second nature. I'd prefer to succinctly list the things they absolutely should do to rule out what they shouldn't, that way it might be a shorter list and a bit more positive.

Maybe a Mnemonic?

Have at it!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Mountains and molehills.

Let them have an accident. They will be much more careful in future. Ony half joking - I have a scar on my right hand from when, aged seven, I cut it with a craft knife. First Aid was run it under water and put a plaster on it. Today it would have been a trip to hospital and stitches to kep it together - but then, maybe no scar afterwards... I have been pretty careful with knives since.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post

Maybe a Mnemonic?

Have at it!

Could do with some work but what about...

SHARP:
    Sit down
    Hand placement
    Area clear
    Relax
    Pay attention

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon.md For This Useful Post:

Ben Watson (30-05-2017),pa_broon74 (20-01-2017)

Thanks
    Hand then a plaster with the knife - certainly focuses their minds
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon.md View Post
    Could do with some work but what about...

SHARP:
    Sit down
    Hand placement
    Area clear
    Relax
    Pay attention

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Love this. Alternative meaning for the same word:

Space - is there enough space around you?
    Help - is there someone nearby who can help you if something goes wrong?
    Away - always cut away from yourself
    Ready - only have your knife out of the sheath when you are ready to use it.
    Patience - take your time, and don't rush.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Darren-M For This Useful Post:

Ben Watson (30-05-2017),GScrimgeour (21-01-2017),nevynxxx (20-01-2017),pa_broon74 (20-01-2017),Simon.md (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Like the two SHARP mnemonics.

Not so sure about letting them cut themselves, although handing them a plaster might work. I told them my I-got-stabbed-at-school-story, and arterial-bleeding-will-hit-the-roof anecdote...

They were really good last night, sat in clear space, cut away from themselves (and not towards anyone else nearby...) Also, a recommendation for the Mora type sheath knifes, we bought 10 standard and five safety knifes - they do the job nicely. Have to say, behaviour and attentiveness is much better, the old SL I think is even enjoying Thursdays again.

That said, we had one tiny blood letting. A wee cut on a finger... The S'mores they did outside on their freshly sharpened sticks, diverted attention though.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Mountains and molehills.

Let them have an accident. They will be much more careful in future. Ony half joking - I have a scar on my right hand from when, aged seven, I cut it with a craft knife. First Aid was run it under water and put a plaster on it. Today it would have been a trip to hospital and stitches to kep it together - but then, maybe no scar afterwards... I have been pretty careful with knives since.
    Funnily enough I have a scar on my thumb from a craft knife. I would have been around 10 and messing around in my dad's garage. Trying to cut the rubber off some old bike handlebars with an inappropriate knife, slipped and straight into my left thumb just above the joint.

Self-first-aid was to wrap it up in an out of date bandage from the first aid kit that Dad kept in the garage. I then somehow managed to hide it from my parents for 3 days before mum noticed it and insisted on taking me to hospital where they said that it probably should have been stitched but it was too late now. Healed fine, and just have a very thin white scar to show for it which is less noticeable than the scar that was stitched (a year later i trapped my other thumb in a car door) on my right thumb.

Unfortunately for all the sensible ways we teach the Scouts sometimes we don't learn properly ourselves. I remembered why we always cover the blade of a saw on Wednesday night as I reached into the boot of the car in the dark and grabbed the exposed blade of a bowsaw that was lurking just underneath the item i was reaching for.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Similarly I have a healthy respect for Swiss Army knives after the saw blade closed on my finger as a kid - I am now only too aware of that risk with them.

(I also have a more recent wariness of wire cutters.... that scar still itches occasionally to remind me....)
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    Similarly I have a healthy respect for Swiss Army knives after the saw blade closed on my finger as a kid - I am now only too aware of that risk with them.
    I have a general "respect" (read Dislike) for folding knives without a locking mechanism. We encourage our Scouts to use the group's Opinels (And are also buying Hultafors sheath knives) rather than bringing swiss army knives.

(I also have a more recent wariness of wire cutters.... that scar still itches occasionally to remind me....)
    [/QUOTE]

I'm not sure i want to know what you did! Although I currrently have a nice blood blister on my hand from a pair of mole grips (don't ask how I did it - i'm not sure but I was using them to hold a chain whilst cutting it to the right length to secure a gate at a certain Scout HQ last week!!)

Thanks
    It was using your wire cutters at that same HQ - got my thumb caught in the two stop blocks between the handles when we were taking down that screen thing. Probably the same thing you did with the mole grips but without being stupid enough like me to cut a chunk out of your hand.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    I was a slow learner with knives, but on the plus side I have an excellent reference of scars to show where they will cut themselves if they don't pay attention.
    We were going to do knives last night, but it turned into a lecture on following simple instructions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    I remember well a former SL droning on and on about knife law and safety. Most of the scouts were daydreaming and I'd swear some were asleep.

My thoughts drifted to the Simpson's when Bart joined Junior Campers and was issued a book, 'Don't do what Donny Don't does'. "Donny Don't is shown doing things such as brushing his teeth with a knife, using a knife in a slingshot, and menacing a sleeping cat with his knife. Bart, reading the book, lamented that "They won't let you have any fun", but he finished the book and passed the knife safety test."

For scouts, a simple list of Do's and Don'ts which they keep with them could be the easiest solution. Mnemonics don't work for me - I usually forget the key word.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Glsg View Post
    I remember well a former SL droning on and on about knife law and safety. Most of the scouts were daydreaming and I'd swear some were asleep.

My thoughts drifted to the Simpson's when Bart joined Junior Campers and was issued a book, 'Don't do what Donny Don't does'. "Donny Don't is shown doing things such as brushing his teeth with a knife, using a knife in a slingshot, and menacing a sleeping cat with his knife. Bart, reading the book, lamented that "They won't let you have any fun", but he finished the book and passed the knife safety test."

For scouts, a simple list of Do's and Don'ts which they keep with them could be the easiest solution. Mnemonics don't work for me - I usually forget the key word.
    Ideally, it should be so simple that they don't need to actually remember anything or have a list to refer to. I'm aiming (hoping) for it to be second nature after a while.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    It was using your wire cutters at that same HQ - got my thumb caught in the two stop blocks between the handles when we were taking down that screen thing. Probably the same thing you did with the mole grips but without being stupid enough like me to cut a chunk out of your hand.
    ahhhh yes

just loaded those into the car ready for the campsite service day tomorrow