Thread: dbs checks

Thanks

dbs checks

I have been told that as a Explorer leader I can do DBS checks on volunteers,however going into compass it appears I can't,
    who's right?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BREWBOY View Post
    I have been told that as a Explorer leader I can do DBS checks on volunteers,however going into compass it appears I can't,
    who's right?
    no, you cannot.

the system is designed so the volunteer must be done by the DC or DESC. (or apts sec or similar)

Or! you could get your partnered group to do it as a workaround... or even get added as a group admin so you can do it yourself

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    no, you cannot.
    I am led to believe you can, on Atlantic. But Section Leaders are not able to add new adults to Compass.

So processing renewals should be possible, likewise new applicants if someone else adds to Compass first.
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    get added as a group admin so you can do it yourself
    An ESL would need to be a district admin to make this work

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BREWBOY View Post
    who's right?
    If you have an account on the Scout Association DBS portal then you can do can do DBS checks, even I as an AESL can do them. What you can't do is add new roles or new people (such as OHs) in Compass in order for them to then be DBS'd. Also you can only do them for people you can see on Compass so for example I have just done one for our Unit Assistant but could not do one for a Unit Assistant in another Unit.

In our District our DESC (who has District Admin rights on Compass) adds new adults to Compass (we send him the adult info forms) and then Unit Leaders sort the DBS out as its much easier to do so when you see the person most weeks.
    Last edited by shiftypete; 27-01-2017 at 10:34 PM.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Its worth saying that you can use the paper form for the DBS to record the details, then hand that to someone who has the appropriate compass access to process it.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    Its worth saying that you can use the paper form for the DBS to record the details, then hand that to someone who has the appropriate compass access to process it.
    Yep which can work well but not as well as sitting there with the person and completing the whole thing there and then IMHO as with the paper form they person being DBSd still has to log in and confirm their details and agree to the check etc which can cause problems and delays.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Yep which can work well but not as well as sitting there with the person and completing the whole thing there and then IMHO as with the paper form they person being DBSd still has to log in and confirm their details and agree to the check etc which can cause problems and delays.
    Totally agree with you - but where its not possible (either due to lack of internet access, or lack of the individual being able to meet someone who has the right compass access level) it provides a workable solution

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    I've done them as CSL. Registered myself with Atlantis via scout HQ, had the DC add new adult into comparse and then went around to new recruits house and dbs'd him. It's as easy as that.

nele
    Thanks
    We have just recently been given access to Atlantic so BSO can now process folk online.. but having tried to do that at the school we meet both compass and atlantic were so slow we gave up : over 30 minutes with one candidate, before the system hung and we couldn't complete the process. (that may be due to the schools public wifi, but it was saturday am when not many folk are using it)

We had to revert to doing adult info forms and the ID checks on paper.. and processing at home. After which the candidate has to login and add address data etc. Being abroad they still have to sign a form to say they give HQ permission to open the certificate (ticking the box in Atlantic isn't enough) which we then scan and send in. We also have to do local police checks which makes it all an admin nightmare if you are doing several.

Now I'm seeing these applications still on Atlantic - submitted but not yet sent to DBS after 3 weeks. the help file and infoline say that's so HQ can do additional checks(no idea what especially as one is a renewal) Is that normal? I seem to recall people getting clearances back really quickly at times

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    That will be due to your Wifi etc, it's quick enough for me (the UI is awkward, but that's a different issue - I don't experience any performance problems with it).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nele View Post
    Now I'm seeing these applications still on Atlantic - submitted but not yet sent to DBS after 3 weeks. the help file and infoline say that's so HQ can do additional checks(no idea what especially as one is a renewal) Is that normal? I seem to recall people getting clearances back really quickly at times
    No that's not normal. They can sit there for a couple of days but not normally longer than a week.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    Just tried to complete a DBS renewal in Atlantic with an (acting) GSL who is new to the system, and not very computer literate.

So armed with two forms of ID ( bill with name/address and UK passport ) attempted to go through the process, only to fall at the forms of ID page, where it insists that I need a Valid Biometric Residence permit???
    and thats as far as it goes,

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard T View Post
    Just tried to complete a DBS renewal in Atlantic with an (acting) GSL who is new to the system, and not very computer literate.

So armed with two forms of ID ( bill with name/address and UK passport ) attempted to go through the process, only to fall at the forms of ID page, where it insists that I need a Valid Biometric Residence permit???
    You need a minimum of three items of ID.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard T View Post

Ahh, where it says is this an EU passport say no!
    The system means EU(but not UK) when it says that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ACSL (Bagheera)
    74th Birmingham St Germains
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~